The Unofficial History of Boba Fett's Costumes

as late as 2nd May '78 the design was being referred to as Stormtrooper II, which is on the jetpack drawing in the Blueprints book.

In the 2nd draft of ESB, April 1978, Lucas added the bounty hunters (among other changes and additions), which became the birth of Boba Fett. Although the change was made, for a period of time they referred to him still as Supertrooper or Stormtrooper II, and after that, they weren't sure how to spell his name:
image302.jpg

In an interview (here ==> The Real First Appearance of Boba Fett | StarWars.com), Duwayne Dunham remembered that at the San Anselmo parade he often asked Gary Kurtz how to spell Boba Fett's name (with 1 or 2 T's) while signing autographs.

Last edited:
Looks like they weren’t sure what direction to put his knee pads either. Reminds me of the ESB shots with BF’s upside down knees in the carbon freeze chamber.
Wait for it.... Soon it is probably going to be uncovered that we are doing it wrong the entire time and that the carbon freeze chamber shot is what they actually wanted.:oops:

While the original idea was of a Supertrooper squad (or something), Lucas changed his mind and merged it into a single character: BOBA FETT. This image shows clearly the change:
View attachment 194246

We see 5 helmets here: 2 unfinished, 2 partially finished (trimmed and painted?) and 1 dented helmet almost finished. The 6th helmet (or the 1st) was the finished, undented Supertrooper helmet. This image was taken somewhere in June-September 1978.

So much hidden treasure in this photo. Every time I look at it I find more stuff.

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-ChinCup-1978.jpg

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-Components-1978.jpg

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-Helmets-and-JP-Thrusters-1978.jpg

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-Helmet-3-Trimmed-1978.jpg

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-Armor-1978.jpg

Elstree-Art-Department-Prototype-Armor-Cod-Plate-1978.jpg

And Mark Harris trying the helmet on in the same room.

Elstree-Art-Department-Helmet-Test-Fit-Mark-Harris-1978.jpg

I think next to the left chest plates, the drawings for the right gauntlet hose piece can be seen (the top hose piece, not the double side piece).

Except the ESB helmet that was painted gray, we don't have evidence that the PP3 was painted black before Johnston started the painting process. Also we don't know the order when each dent was added.
The PP3 was definitely primered in black. You can see it in the pictures available in the gallery but I honestly didn't catch it until I was looking at the helmet in person.

Also I think it is almost certain that the helmet in the attached pictures is the PP2 at early stages. There are lots of details that corroborate this.
The inside painted black, The dent, the crack in the eye corner, the rough bolt through hole under the upper earcap, the visor trim.

Attachments

• PP2.jpg
    PP2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 239
  • PP2too.jpg
    PP2too.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 240
The PP3 was definitely primered in black. You can see it in the pictures available in the gallery but I honestly didn't catch it until I was looking at the helmet in person.

I know the PP3 was primered black, I was saying that we don't have proof that it was primered before Johnston got the helmet to be painted, or he was the one that primered the helmet in black.

Also I think it is almost certain that the helmet in the attached pictures is the PP2 at early stages. There are lots of details that corroborate this.
The inside painted black, The dent, the crack in the eye corner, the rough bolt through hole under the upper earcap, the visor trim.
There are a couple of little dings, here, that are consistent with dings on the KT plug.

?hash=0c349f4f17ec6a4b8b2db9aef55d8d14.jpg

Attachments

• 20200714_183043.jpg
    20200714_183043.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 195
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back