Black Cat Bone's Boba Fett "Re-Armored" Helmet - FINISHED!

BlackCatBone

Active Hunter
Hi, all! So I'm starting with two LoneWolf1183 BF helmets (#15 & #16). I've primed and added my "beskar" layer (Rusto Aluminum).

IMG_3862.jpg

Decided to tackle the Re-Armored paint first. I'm starting on the dome. Since it's clear in screenshots that Boba didn't sand off the old post-Sarlacc damaged paint, I've decided to recreate that under-layer before doing any "new" paint. I use liquid latex to mask the areas of old chipping, based on stills form TMS2.

IMG_4021.jpg

Then a layer of Rusto Rugged Black to simulate the acid scarred paint.

IMG_4057.jpg

Another layer of Rusto Aluminum...

IMG_4059.jpg

Then I peel the liquid latex, and I have a pretty good base before I add any green to the dome. A little Rugged Black peeks through, but that's okay. It'll get covered.

IMG_4061.jpg

More soon!

The dome is green! Some strategic liquid latex for paint “chipping”, then 2 layers of Rustoleum Spruce lightly misted with Rustoleum Emerald Isle, then removal of the latex. It looks shiny due to the paint being satin & semi-gloss, but I will clear flat coat it at the very end.

(The photos look a little more "forest green" than the in-person helmet, which is slightly more "olive green".)

E3O-KINWQAInn6T.jpgE3O-KI2WYAcgbHe.jpgE3O-KIzXMAIuO86.jpgE3O-KI5X0AIFSEp.jpg

Hi BlackCat,

The chipping effect of the paint after you remove the masking fluid is phenomenal.
But in the photo of the application, the shapes look a little more rounded and less precise. Did you go in after peeling back the fluid and add any additional “chipping” some how? Or does the fluid naturally peel away like that?
I ask because I have never used masking fluid and I am going to attempt a repaint on a Black Series helmet.
Also, did you draw the damage pattern on the dome before applying the masking fluid?

Thanks! I can’t wait to see more of your progress.

Bo
Hi BlackCat,

The chipping effect of the paint after you remove the masking fluid is phenomenal.
But in the photo of the application, the shapes look a little more rounded and less precise. Did you go in after peeling back the fluid and add any additional “chipping” some how? Or does the fluid naturally peel away like that?
I ask because I have never used masking fluid and I am going to attempt a repaint on a Black Series helmet.
Also, did you draw the damage pattern on the dome before applying the masking fluid?

Thanks! I can’t wait to see more of your progress.

When the paint dries over the latex, the edges get more crisp and jagged.

You can also use thicker liquid latex for larger less defined areas, and thinner liquid latex for more sharp, precise detail in the chipping, but the thicker latex is easier to remove when you're dealing with that Rugged Black paint--it's very thick as well. I did not draw on the helmet. I used lots of reference photos.

Last edited:
Back panels are done!

Since Boba painted over the damaged paint, I had to create the effect of old paint beneath. So first, liquid latex placed from screenshots from The Mandalorian. Then I shot it with Rustoleum Rugged Black.

IMG_4163.jpgIMG_4165.jpgIMG_4167.jpgIMG_4168.jpg

Next, 2 coats of Rustoleum Aluminum, and then peel off that liquid latex. Next, small, strategically placed liquid latex for the final “chips” that will show through.

IMG_4170.jpgIMG_4171.jpgIMG_4183.jpgIMG_4184.jpg

Finally, three coats of Rusto Meadow Green misted with Rusto Hunter Green. Then I peel off the final liquid latex “chips”. I will have some touch-ups to do over all, and the whole helmet will be sprayed with a clear flat coat at the end so it won’t be shiny.

IMG_4213.jpgIMG_4214.jpgleftback.jpg

After a month of days too hot or too humid to paint, I’ve finished the cheeks on my Boba Fett RePainted helmet. Some touch ups will be required, (Masking tape lifted off a couple of spots of green) and the whole thing will be shot with a clear matte coat on completion to get rid of the shine.

E7ZoCmcWYAAoyGu.jpgE7ZoCmKXsAUJaSH.jpgE7ZoCmOWEAUhyTg.jpg

Your helmet is looking excellent, I look forward to each update.
May I ask which brand of Liquid Latex you use? And what do you use to apply it? A brush?

thanks!

As I start my own re-painted helmet, I'm trying to determine if the ears are also Sarlaac damaged and painted over or if they're relatively smooth. To me, it appears that the ears and the red portion is lightly damaged with the mandible portion of the red being the most damaged. BlackCat, what are you thinking for the ears and the red parts? Love it so far!

As I start my own re-painted helmet, I'm trying to determine if the ears are also Sarlaac damaged and painted over or if they're relatively smooth. To me, it appears that the ears and the red portion is lightly damaged with the mandible portion of the red being the most damaged. BlackCat, what are you thinking for the ears and the red parts? Love it so far!
Went through a bunch of reference pics this weekend and the ears definitely look pretty smooth. The mandibles and red have damage that is painted over for sure but the ears seem pretty much like Fett had an extra pair on Slave 1 and painted them fresh. :)

Went through a bunch of reference pics this weekend and the ears definitely look pretty smooth. The mandibles and red have damage that is painted over for sure but the ears seem pretty much like Fett had an extra pair on Slave 1 and painted them fresh. :)

Since the ears were both silver "beskar" for the ROTJ helmet, there would be no damaged paint there to paint over. I'm working on my ears now, and I did not do the textured underpaint layer for just this reason. Pics of the ears in a week or so.

Question for you BlackCatBone: How long did you let the Rugged Coat dry before peeling the masking fluid off? I took a cut at the helmet yesterday and peeled it when it was dry to the touch but only about an hour or two and the rugged coat came up in a lot of places. I'm giving it another go and going to let it dry longer this time so hopefully it adheres better.

Lovely day. Finally had a stretch of dry enough weather to do some work on my Boba Fett RePainted helmet last week. Ears are painted. Decals will be added later, as well as touch-ups and a flat clear coat to get rid of the shine.

Left ear is Rusto Oregano, and right ear is Rusto Khaki.

IMG_4664.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4668.jpg

Short update. I'm all taped to paint the visor area. Always the worst part to tape! Also added the liquid latex for the damaged paint underlayer...

IMG_4733.jpgIMG_4734.jpg

Sprayed with Rusto Rugged Black for the damaged paint underlayer...

IMG_4736.jpg

More soon.

I’ve finished spraying my Boba Fett re-armored helmet. The visor area is Rusto Claret Wine.

Next will be adding a bit of grime, a matte clear coat, the vinyl details, the circuit board, the range finder, and the ear cap.

IMG_4880.jpgIMG_4882.jpgIMG_4883.jpgIMG_4886.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to reshoot the back panels in a darker green based on the cover of the new Star Wars Insider magazine featuring Boba from Mando S2. This time I went with Rustoleum Hunter Green. Much better, I think.

011858CA-3E2F-425F-9F93-A8A70FE050BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I've started dry brushing a light layer of grime per set photos of the helmet. Also finished the (aluminum!) range finder.

Particularly happy with the little rusted area around the cheek borden, and the gloss, slightly sparkly view screen in the range finder.

Still have to add decals and do a final spray of matte clear coat.

FBXw6oDWEAAJJnu.jpgFBXw6o5XEAYPwAd.jpgFBXw6oDWQAEk51_.jpgFBXyKMfX0AA03Z_.jpgFBXyKMgXsAMibVr.jpgFBXyKNfXsAQFQg7.jpg

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back