General ROTJ costume build (conversion from SE)

Hey tennantlim...

Are the colors you used these rock island and wine red colors to paint the top part of your gauntlet?

I'm trying to paint over some parts of BobaMaker's gauntlets, which I believe are a very similar color to yours since they were both from 2016-2017 BobaMaker. I have a "Barn Red" at Walmart that is similar, but I think I can find a better match using your recipe.

EDIT: Sorry! I see now on an earlier page you mention it is FLOQUIL Rock Island.

Sorry about that again. Thank you for the info. Ordering this now as I'm trying to make my ROTJ BobaMaker painted gauntlet SE weathering and had to remove some of his paint to accomplish it.

Last edited:
Hey tennantlim...

Are the colors you used these rock island and wine red colors to paint the top part of your gauntlet?

I'm trying to paint over some parts of BobaMaker's gauntlets, which I believe are a very similar color to yours since they were both from 2016-2017 BobaMaker. I have a "Barn Red" at Walmart that is similar, but I think I can find a better match using your recipe.

EDIT: Sorry! I see now on an earlier page you mention it is FLOQUIL Rock Island.

Sorry about that again. Thank you for the info. Ordering this now as I'm trying to make my ROTJ BobaMaker painted gauntlet SE weathering and had to remove some of his paint to accomplish it.

Hey Joe,
In addition, I misted black over the base color so that further alters the tone. So you'd have to be careful and restrain from overdoing it.

I'm assuming you airbrushed it. Any special thinner that you used or just water or windex for these paints?

The other questions I have about your technique. After you put the 3 coats of rock island maroon. Did you lightly mist the Wine Red or did you fully cover it? After all that you then misted it black and then the whole gauntlet in grey to kind of get some uniformity.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you airbrushed it. Any special thinner that you used or just water or windex for these paints?

The other questions I have about your technique. After you put the 3 coats of rock island maroon. Did you lightly mist the Wine Red or did you fully cover it? After all that you then misted it black and then the whole gauntlet in grey to kind of get some uniformity.

1. Yes all airbrushed.
2. No thinning required for RIM. I thinned the Wine Red to the point it's almost translucent. Black and Grey were heavily thinned.
3. I use a lacquer for thinning but I forgot the brand. I'll update here when I return from my work trip.

Hope this helps!

1. Yes all airbrushed.
2. No thinning required for RIM. I thinned the Wine Red to the point it's almost translucent. Black and Grey were heavily thinned.
3. I use a lacquer for thinning but I forgot the brand. I'll update here when I return from my work trip.

Hope this helps!

It definitely does help! The paints should arrive this Wednesday and I'll give it a try for some spot treatment since I had to remove some markings for better SE markings. Thanks tennantlim!

Just wanted to report back. I didn't use the Wine Red since it ended up ruining one of my cheap paint brushes when I was testing it for the color since I'm not used to whatever base Mr. Color is (urethane?). However, I did an air brush coat of Rock Island Maroon (no thinning needed paints great!) over my water based Walmart Matte Barn Red acrylic and then with Vallejo flow improver and Vallejo model air black did some really light black air brushing on top. It looks great and matches as close as I think is possible to BobaMaker's colors.

Just wanted to say thanks again tennantlim for posting this information on your build thread! I was able to save my gauntlet since I had some of the paint fully stripped on certain sections so I wasn't sure if I was going to have to strip everything and start fresh. Luckily, it isn't the case!

Just wanted to report back. I didn't use the Wine Red since it ended up ruining one of my cheap paint brushes when I was testing it for the color since I'm not used to whatever base Mr. Color is (urethane?). However, I did an air brush coat of Rock Island Maroon (no thinning needed paints great!) over my water based Walmart Matte Barn Red acrylic and then with Vallejo flow improver and Vallejo model air black did some really light black air brushing on top. It looks great and matches as close as I think is possible to BobaMaker's colors.

Just wanted to say thanks again tennantlim for posting this information on your build thread! I was able to save my gauntlet since I had some of the paint fully stripped on certain sections so I wasn't sure if I was going to have to strip everything and start fresh. Luckily, it isn't the case!

Good to hear it worked out for you Joe. Looking forward to seeing your approval!

Here's a quick correction on my jetpack thrusters. I see red!

References
Photo-Grid-1578784825473.png

Photo-Grid-1579403521507.png

My process.
IMG-20200119-093414.jpg

I used Blu Tack for the side greeble.
IMG-20200119-093451.jpg

I used Tamiya red and misted over with Ocean Grey to knock the saturation back. Looks like I could mist over some more eh?
IMG-20200119-101625.jpg

I honestly don't think I'll ever be done with this costume...

Long story short, I corrected my left gauntlet with the Hero weathering and a few details.

First, I fabricated the flamethrower lip with styrene. The upper bar was later removed as there is no evidence to suggest it was there.
IMG-20200212-150230-01.jpg

IMG-20200212-171026-01.jpg

The switch on the battery cover was changed to the correct cylindrical form as seen on appropriate reference photos.
full.jpg

IMG-20200212-171209-01.jpg

I decided to paint the silver weathering topically, so I painted Rock Island Maroon over a black primer base.
IMG-20200213-222656-01.jpg

IMG-20200213-222839-01.jpg

IMG-20200214-091114-01.jpg

The Hero weathering is most identifiable by the flame-like silver marking on the flamethrower beside the keypad.
IMG-20200214-123128.jpg

I cleaned up the brush strokes, misted over with black and grey, and added the glue stain just under the dental expander.
IMG-20200215-105018.jpg

IMG-20200215-104702.jpg

IMG-20200215-104721.jpg

IMG-20200215-105406.jpg

References and evidence for the glue stain can be found in several photos in the gallery like this one...
full.png

Screenshot-2020-02-15-at-9-24-27-PM.png

Final photos with additional finishing touches.
-09-39-ROTJ-Hero-Left-Gauntlet-IMG0006-Facebook-32.jpg

-09-40-ROTJ-Hero-Left-Gauntlet-IMG0007-Facebook-32.jpg

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back