General ROTJ costume build (conversion from SE)

Looking fantastic!

I need a little advice (which I won’t put to use until everything of mine is painted), but your quick “how to” got me thinking...

What would you do if the bolts/anchors/shafts are already attached to the armor...? Would you dab some paint or marker on the bolts, lay them out on the vest to get the right position, then add the grommets where the marks are? I like your method of tracing it all out, BUT I already have threaded bolts attached to mine - Fettpride prepped them that way...

I guess I will have to remove the fishing line and redo with black thread on mine too.
Dang I used fishing line too, is thread strong enough to hold it?

So here's my reference for the black thread;
full.jpg

It took me a while to find the thread type that closely matches that one.
IMG-20190509-070200-01.jpg

It's thicker than the typical thread, so I reckon it's stronger. Sorry I don't know the actual term for this type of thread.

Edit: I believe it's some sort of nylon cord as opposed to cotton thread. That would alleviate some concerns over its strength.

Last edited:
Looking fantastic!

I need a little advice (which I won’t put to use until everything of mine is painted), but your quick “how to” got me thinking...

What would you do if the bolts/anchors/shafts are already attached to the armor...? Would you dab some paint or marker on the bolts, lay them out on the vest to get the right position, then add the grommets where the marks are? I like your method of tracing it all out, BUT I already have threaded bolts attached to mine - Fettpride prepped them that way...

My first advice is do not lay the vest on a flat surface to correspond the bolt positions on your armor plates that are curved. Wear your vest and place the armor on for best accuracy. I recommend getting someone to help you with this.

Dabbing paint on the bolts to find the attachment points may get messy. You really need to place all the armor on and adjust their positions in relation to each other. The paint will smear as you shift them around, and you won't be able to tell where the correct position is by the time you're done.

If I were in your position, I would consider removing the bolts so I can lay the armor firmly against the vest to establish the attachment points accurately.

While waiting for my vest, I decided to make a correction to my helmet's cheek color. It was too close to black compared to the required dark blue-green tone. Here's the original;
20181203-ROTJ-BOBA-FETT-HELMET-1.jpg

Furthermore, it was pointed out to me by Jurassic_Fett that he and toofastrobot had discovered grey misting that are commonly mistaken for reflection of light. Well, at least by me. Observe these areas;
IMG-20190512-074523.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

After a healthy dose of single malt liquid courage, I masked the helmet up and sprayed over the cheeks with a thinned layer of Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue followed by a thinner layer of XF-70 Dark Green 2 (IJN).
IMG-20190511-153845-01.jpg

IMG-20190511-173915-01.jpg

Added the weather marks back by freehand, closely referencing the invaluable stencils by RafalFett.
IMG-20190511-233344-01.jpg

IMG-20190511-233451-01.jpg

And finally, I gently misted Tamiya XF-82 Ocean Grey 2 over the areas where required.
IMG-20190512-174931-01.jpg

IMG-20190512-174842-01.jpg

The front end of the left cheek will be touched up to remove the silver scuff marks.

I also corrected the attachment points on my collar and back armor plates to reduce the gap in the back. The gap was causing difficulties for my handlers when they hang my jetpack as the harness shoulder straps would tend to retract back into the slits.
IMG-20190512-150455.jpg

Marked out the portion on the collar to be removed.
IMG-20190512-150126.jpg

I don't have any photo to show the completed work, but the gap has indeed been reduced.

The last item is attaching new shoulder straps to the jetpack harness. SUTT4869 had kindly shared his white canvas straps and rivets that are far more accurate than my previous set up.
IMG-20190511-110229-01.jpg

Barring any catastrophic issue, I should have a complete and wearable costume by end May. That does not mean I'll be done with it though. Not by a long shot!

Last edited:
Looking great ! Dig the new paint job as well. Oh the details we strive for. Truly always a work in progress.

What's amazing is new details are still being uncovered across all versions, so all our builds will never be completed. And that's the fun of it!

Depends on how you want your set up to be. You can made it a static set up like above and just sew it to your harness. That’s personally what I did. Take a little bit to get it how you want it but then you really don’t need to mess with it after. I didn’t want to make my adjustable, didn’t feel like messing with it every time it went on

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back