BH16972 ROTJ conversion (from SE)

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
This was something that was in a vac formed gauntlet... the ROTJ gaunt is Fiberglass casting not vacformed
Thank you Dom. I am aware that the left gauntlet was fiberglass, hence I got one from Lou and have been working on it. I also learned about the battery door issue recently, but I've already installed it by then.
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
My hunt for the perfect left gauntlet indicator lamp has concluded. I was directed by an awesome dude on Facebook to the supplier of the one on the far right on account of its size and metal shroud. It is an incredibly close fit and I'm absolutely pleased this.
IMG_20181010_230701-01.jpg

PhotoGrid_1539183349676.jpg
 
Last edited:

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
I got lucky with yet another vintage part find! The lining in this 1970's Ultimate Climbers helmet is almost a match to the screen-used helmet. Now I'll have to either source for a British riot helmet or fabricate the chin strap system.
full.jpg

IMG_20181016_100616.jpg

IMG_20181016_100602.jpg
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Sun's finally back out so I can push on with painting my left gauntlet. While it seems the screen-used prop was weathered topically, I'm going to attempt to combine layered and topical methods on mine.

Silver base coat
IMG_20181015_102922-01.jpg


Toothpaste masking
IMG_20181016_073622-01.jpg


Flat black layer before Floquil Rock Island Maroon
IMG_20181016_080215-01.jpg


To be continued...
 
This is the UK site, but there is an option to select a distributor in your region. Just ensure you select the correct part number.
IND515205-640-T/RD | Indicator CAMDENBOSS Incandescent Red, 6 V, 6.4mm Mounting Hole Size, Lead Wires Termination | RS Components
I was able to find them easy to purchase on ebay. Still from the UK. But I picked up a few to make it work while shipping to the US. Also when I get them I will put a couple up for sale in the cargo hold. They were $4.04 dollars each plus shipping.
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
I scratch built the unknown switch on the battery cover from a random piece of plastic by carving it to shape with exacto and various files. The word "BATTERY" was patched up with epoxy putty. As you can see, I stupidly decided to do this AFTER I masked the damages and sprayed the first layer of Rock Island Maroon.
IMG_20181018_010619-01.jpg

PhotoGrid_1539825838764.jpg
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
The weather finally cleared up so I could continue with painting my left gauntlet. I applied 3 coats of Rock Island Maroon and 1 thinned coat of Mr Hobby wine red so it would match the Bobamaker colors. The toothpaste masking was removed and I refined the damages with a scriber. It will be misted over with black and grey next.
IMG_20181021_215016-01.jpg

IMG_20181021_215154-01.jpg

IMG_20181021_215339-01.jpg


The metal ring on the indicator lamp was painted the same color as the gauntlet and chipped with a scriber.
IMG_20181021_184958-01.jpg


The toggle switches on the right gauntlet were removed and I patched up the holes with epoxy putty. Smaller holes were drilled to match the reference. The challenge now is to match the Bobamaker color and blend them in.
IMG_20181021_163614-01.jpg
 
Last edited:

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Misted black over the gauntlet body and assembled the components before the grey goes on.
IMG_20181022_101052-01.jpg


My push buttons originally stood too tall, revealing their screw threads. So I loosened them and simply lowered their profiles to match the reference. They were then painted with the gauntlet red and weathered.
*I just saw from this photo that the bit under the buttons should be black. This will be done tonight.
PhotoGrid_1540175316918.jpg


The zero button (top row second from right) is fully depressed like the reference.
PhotoGrid_1540175873976.jpg
 

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Wrapped up the left gauntlet upper exterior! I added more nicks and fine scratches to enhance the weathering and misted grey over the complete ensemble.
IMG_20181023_083525-01.jpg

IMG_20181023_083505-01.jpg


A quick comparison against my Bobamaker.
IMG_20181023_083159-01.jpg


The gap above the keypad was filled with epoxy putty as seen in reference photos.
full.jpg

IMG_20181023_083341-01.jpg


The push button necks were painted black. Still not 100% happy with these buttons as they have flat tops and the ones in reference photos have convex tops. I may swap them out if or when I find the right ones.
IMG_20181023_083612-01.jpg


I'm waiting on a dual CR2032 battery holder with switch to wire this baby up.
IMG_20181023_083639-01.jpg


The unknown part.
IMG_20181023_083700-01.jpg
 
Top