AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

Just to relight the fire on this one guys it stops after the sanding of the filler. what are the next steps afterwards? Is there any fibreglass of filler that needs to go on the faceplate or is it straight to priming?

Any exposed paper/cardboard you'll want to petrify, yeah. Otherwise you'll be sanding raw cardboard, which is about the least sandable material in the world. Pretty much anything that soaks some into the cardboard and hardens will work, but yeah, fiberglass resin (without the matting) is a popular option.

So yeah, petrify any exposed cardboard, then get it as smooth as you can via sanding and filler, then start priming. The initial priming layer will mostly just be another filler coat layer, for any tiny little scatches and such, so thick filler/sandable primers work best (I'm a big fan of Rustoleum '2 in 1 Filler and Sandable Primer').

Layering, sanding, then layering again is gonna be a long process that takes up the majority of the time of any scratch build, but putting the elbow grease into it makes all the difference between a good clean build and a lumpy one.

I have mixed feelings dredging up this old thread. AntMan If you are by any chance reading this I came across this build back when I was in high school and followed it in amazement. I set out to do it myself. I got the whole cardboard bucket built but when it came to filler and sanding I just lacked the skill. Now I'm 25 and I'm back at it again. I look forward to finishing this time!

I've been making my own props since 1996 when I made my first scratch built Vader for Halloween (wasn't pretty!)
Keep at it and eventually you'll learn enough to get pretty good at it. EVERY single prop, helmet, gun you make just gives me more experience for the next one. Keep at it and don't give up!

This is awesome. I'm working on some gauntlets this week and next for my son's Halloween costume and the helmet is that last on the list. Going to definitely doing it this way and hopefully bang it out in a couple of weeks

you do make it look easy.

I'm at the ear part myself.
the pdf I'm using were old and seem to have been printed out at slightly the wrong size so it's been a challenge. it's nice to sed how it's supposed to be done . Haha

on the WOF templates what are these for??
Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 9.25.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 9.25.49 PM.png

andthis has probably been answered already but how do i get the dome bases

(sorry for so many questions I'm about to start my first bucket and I am a perfectionest)

Hey everyone!

I've read all your replies thus far and (y)THANKS(y) guys for the positive encouragements! It's a big part of what gives me my "drive", IYKWIM.;)

Work is in progress, but before I continue with that, I thought it would be interesting to provide a list of materials and tools I use in the process. So here it is:

View attachment 89962

1. Quick drying white glue (glue for wood type of materials)
2. A couple of clothes pins
3. Sanding paper, rough to fine grade (180 to about 400 grade)
4. Hot glue gun, as an alternative for 1
. Hot glue sticks
6. Gesso primer for sealing/primering the finished bucket; US: Minwax Polycrylic Sealer
7. A fine tip ink pen, for drawing templates onto the cardboard
8. A hobby knife with plenty of re-fills
9. Sculpting knifes, for applying filler
10. Filler! This particular type is for filling holes in walls; US: Bondo Car Body Filler
11. Two pieces of flat-surface wooden planks, for flattening the ear areas (see described in post #9 above)
12. An old-fashioned glue clamp, preferably a couple of these
13. A misting bottle, for spraying the cardboard moist
14. Blue painter's masking tape; the tape is blue, not the painter
15. A ruler of some sort
16. A good camera as your best witness, share the progress!
17. An acrylics paintroller
18. A big piece of linoleum to protect your wife's (or mother's) kitchen table from cutting pieces of cardboard ;)

View attachment 89963

19. A big sheet (70 x 100 cm) of 2 mm thick grey cardboard, paperboard or whatever it's called; I bought this in a store where they use this to seal off the back side of a framed painting or photograph; don't use corrugated cardboard though!; US: Single Layered Mat Board
20. Wizardofflight templates! Available for US Legal and Euro A4 paper
21. An example lid, to set yourself a goal of how you want it to look like

These are the most important materials and tools I use and came up with 'till now.
So go ahead and fabricate that lid! Show your progress with as many pics as you can! But most important of all: HAVE FUN doing it!

Enjoy:cheers
Peter

View attachment 89964

"With great power comes great responsibility"
#14 lol

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back