Another ESB paintup

PropReplicator2

Active Hunter
Hey guys,

I'm back with another layered ESB Paintup. Once again, on a beautiful DVH/7CS fiberglass helmet. This, like my last few helmets will be done in layers using mostly humbrol paints. Unlike all of my past helmets though, I will be trying something new, and doing the back panels (usually done first) last, and the entire helmet will be done mostly all together as far as stenciling and masking of damage goes rather than the usual section-by-section approach.

The base layer was done in rustoleum metallic silver, and coated in "klear kote" via my airbrush. After the bast layer silver and :klear kote" were applied, I started stenciling out the damaged areas across the helmet (with the exception of the back panels).
20201219_132742.jpg
20201219_132735.jpg
20201219_132724.jpg

ZU7pHEq.mp4
ZU7pHEq.mp4

I apologize for the lack of progress pics on the ears, but they are super straight forward so I didn't feel the need to take pictures of that process. I did a dry fit of the ears on the helmet for the first time tonight. Everything fit well, and after the tan/Yellow paint is fully cured tomorrow, I will mask off the areas where the decals would go and start painting those details by hand. Also, I will try to get some better pics in outdoor lighting tomorrow so you can see the true colors of the ears. In real life it's the perfect khaki-yellow color, I'm not sure why the indoor lighting makes it look more yellow.
20210103_004521.jpg

wow! this is so cool:eek:! dumb question that you probaly already answered, how do you get the weathering so detailed!?
I use Raf's damage stencils and carbon tracing paper. Then mask all the detailed scratches and marks off across the helmet with a toothpick instead of a brush. It takes a alot longer that way, but you get WAY better control ability and significantly sharper details like that. Do each color layer by layer and do each color in about 3-4 layer to make it not too thick, but thick enough that the paint won't wear through when you rub it down with steel wool later. Just take your time and be careful. Slow and steady, don't rush something like this or it will never come out right.

Aorry for the lack of updates, I've been crazy busy at work lately and havnt had much time for this. Over the course of this week I got the paint on the left ear done with the exception of the white decal which I can paint today.
20210109_111429.jpg

Wow this has been a while since I've pulled this out to work on it, but got the majority of the back panels finished over the past two weeks! Small details, scratches, dusting, etc., left to do but for the most part this is coming together pretty well! Attached the visor clips on the inside, as well as a wireless Bluetooth microphone for my portable Amp.
20210809_164412.jpg
20210809_164432.jpg
20210809_164450.jpg
20210809_164509.jpg
20210809_164524.jpg
20210801_094538.jpg

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back