General airbrushing

Fetterling

Jr Hunter
I'm at the point to work on weathering soft parts. Do I buy an airbrush kit, rattle can? Both? I have hand painted many D&D figures to much avail. I am confident in in trying an airbrush yet never used one. Need advice on a brand to buy. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Weathering soft parts can be easy as can be. Get an old spray bottle. Fill it about half way to 3/4 full of warm water. Add black acrylic paint, maybe some brown acrylic. You're shooting for the color of motor oil that is burnt and hasn't been changed in a year or three. Try to imagine the last time you broke down and changed the oil in your girlfriend's Honda.
Shake it up real good. Wet your soft parts down with clean water and let them air dry to almost dry. Then hose them down with the burnt Honda oil mixture. Concentrate on the shin calf areas and get everywhere else.
Doing it this way looks a little better than just dragging it across the garage because it gets into the material better this way. Use black pastels or markers to add some streaks and marks in there too.
Good luck!

I think the greater advantage with airbrush (other than control) is that you can custom mix your colors. With rattlecans, you're limited to whatever colors are being produced.
Good luck! Lots of great painters on here with tons of experience who can help you out with tips and tricks as well as the basics.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back