A Few Part recommendations needed: Denver Comic Con Push

Urami

Hunter
Hey Guys,
So Denver Comic Con is in a few months and I am really pushing hard to get ESB Fett ready. Here is a list of parts that I still need all other parts were purchased and are either complete or in the process

Leather Belt w/Pouches: I see some dead threads here and there of makers. Who makes some quality ESB Brown Belts

Collar/Waist Studs: Should be easy enough to make them myself or am I better off going with a set of machined?

Right Gauntlet Darts: Should I make them or get a machined? I bought a pack of Bic Biro pens and make a mock up but they don't seem to scale with some of these machines darts im seeing. Are the machined darts actually not accurate?

Jetpack Harness: Who makes the best harness, seems simple enough to just make myself for a more custom fit to my back

Toe Spikes: I really like the finished look of a machined toe spike but who is still making the most accurate ESB spikes? Right now on ebay I see a set from evolution props? My boots are current Man of War boots.

Knee Darts: Seems easy enough to make just dont want it to look shotty and not to scale

Sidearm Holster: ??

Sidearm ??

The metal parts you can get from MachineCraft easily within a few months. I have a BigDane harness - depending on when his runs are you may be able to get that within a few months. My belt ( although not ESB ) is DeltaMike and he was very prompt with getting one built and to me. There are some great vendors for the sidearms in the Cargohold as well

I'm going in reverse because of being able to see your post:
Sidearm: Stormrider or Sidewinder, MLS. Same for holster.
Knee darts :Shapeways
Toe spikes, make em. Aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. Pen tips, dowel rod
jetpack harness: seatbelt material webbing online. Bar stock from Home Depot, some conduit. Do a search on youtube on how to bend pipe or conduit with out flattening it.
Gaunt darts, shapeways
studs shapeways.
Not sure on ammo belt. I'm making mine.
Best of luck to you.

I'm going in reverse because of being able to see your post:
Sidearm: Stormrider or Sidewinder, MLS. Same for holster.
Knee darts :Shapeways
Toe spikes, make em. Aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. Pen tips, dowel rod
jetpack harness: seatbelt material webbing online. Bar stock from Home Depot, some conduit. Do a search on youtube on how to bend pipe or conduit with out flattening it.
Gaunt darts, shapeways
studs shapeways.
Not sure on ammo belt. I'm making mine.
Best of luck to you.

So by pen tip do you mean like the attached photo? I didn't think of that!! Perfect idea man.

So you are making the belt. Do you have a pattern of reference for the measurements? Or is there some paper template out there we can work from that you (or anyone else) know of?

Shapeways: Just checked out the site. Damn, they are really well priced. Having never worked with 3d printed plastics before, do you just fill in the lines with some bondo and sand to shape type of process? Seems almost too good to be true on the pricing. Haven't any experience on 3d printed items.
signo tip-800x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jetpack harness: modified baby carrier, collar and cod armor studs: tall keyboard keys, you could probably pick up a whole keyboard at a thrift shop for a few bucks. Manofwar on eBay is making a decent belt with pouches these days.

Jetpack harness: modified baby carrier, collar and cod armor studs: tall keyboard keys, you could probably pick up a whole keyboard at a thrift shop for a few bucks. Manofwar on eBay is making a decent belt with pouches these days.
True, Christian's (Man of War) stuff is top notch. His belts look great. I just do leather work in my "spare time" so that's why I'm building mine. But yes, Urami, there are patterns on here for the different versions of the belt, they mostly cover the ends of the belt because the middle is just plain belt with stitching and pouches on it cut to length to fit the wearer. There are differences for ROTJ and ESB so pay attention to that. They are older posts, I'll try to find them and get you a link.
On the pen tips, I think I read somewhere that that may have been what was used for the movie versions. I think it's a great idea.
For you and your Con that is approaching, time might play an issue and you might be better off buying as opposed to building. I enjoy the building aspect for the most part but I'm buying some small greeblie stuff.
Yeah, Shapeways is the coolest thing since sliced bread. And then what you'll find yourself doing is just typing some random movie or soething in the search field to see what comes up!
good luck and keep us posted on your progress and what you decide. And as far as the prep work on 3D printed stuff, I've never bought any, but I would assume it is much like modeling, cut piece of sprue, trim flashing with exacto, sand, prime, bondo, sand, prime, repeat until ready for real paint.
But let us know how much prep work it takes. I'm planning on buying some parts from toolguy301!
Main

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/tutorial-ammo-belts-v2-rafalfett-templates-47515/

as promised.
There are two schools of thought on the pouches. Functional and non functional. My opinion is this: I'm not worrying about real functional pouches because I'm building a "costume" I'm not trying to be Boba Fett! Lol. Batninja has an excellent tutorial on how he makes his belt, with nonfunctional pouches. I'll be using this method but with real leather.

The main reason i like the functional pouches is weight. Most of the non functional ones are made with wood blocks with the leater shaped around them..which gives them excellent shape, but it adds weight to the belt. The functional ones are usualy hollow boxes made from sintr or thin plastic or just the leather expertly shaped, so its way lighter. The actual functioning part is a bonus for me lol My old belt was wood blocks..and although i never thought much of it, when i got a new one from Deltamike with the functioning pouches the weight was much lighter and i liked that more than anything. plus you can also use th pouches for batteries for various things on your suit.

The main reason i like the functional pouches is weight. Most of the non functional ones are made with wood blocks with the leater shaped around them..which gives them excellent shape, but it adds weight to the belt. The functional ones are usualy hollow boxes made from sintr or thin plastic or just the leather expertly shaped, so its way lighter. The actual functioning part is a bonus for me lol My old belt was wood blocks..and although i never thought much of it, when i got a new one from Deltamike with the functioning pouches the weight was much lighter and i liked that more than anything. plus you can also use th pouches for batteries for various things on your suit.

Lou, the weight is a good issue that I haven't given much consideration to. I thought you were going with a heavier belt might sit or ride better and "look" more realistic! But after your input I may reconsider the functional aspect for my belt.

Yea i honestly never thought about it until i got the lighter belt. It actually doesn't look much different at all, but the weight difference is noticeable. Im also going to use one of the pouches for the chestlight battery im trying out.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back