*Update* 3D Printed ROTJ EE-3 Build…and Subsequent Repair.

BudaFett
I love #5! It never occurred to me that folks would try for that look. Pretty easy too! An Arkady flight suit with spats, Boots and spikes. Shave your head and apply some make up to emulate the digestive fluids on skin effect on the head. And that’s it! Haha!

-Iron

Well…about two weeks after I finished my EE-3, this happened. :(
My daughter accidentally sat on it.

18A0C665-C8FD-4789-94BE-24C4C8DB4E62.jpeg

I finally got around to doing a repair.

I used a piece of 1/4” all-thread to add some strength to this notoriously weak area.

CAC3133B-30CC-4058-8451-75FD76F69E43.jpeg

I stuck one end of th threaded rod into the receiver end and then poured resin into the open cavity. The threads on the rod will give the resin something to hold on to better than a smooth rod would.

7B941283-DD76-408B-AC5A-1311C5044FD7.jpeg

I shaped the other end of the rod to fit in the handle end. I then poured resin into the handle end and put the two pieces together and held them together until the resin set.

1D670020-9F07-44F0-9D9C-41A9D509E8B6.jpeg

There was still a seam where the crack occurred, so I used superglue/baking soda combo to further strengthen it.

B37FC3C2-725A-438D-A6C4-83F21E7A75B4.jpeg

Painted over seam to try and blend.

CD798D72-5495-4E78-87CE-2EED9EB2A77A.jpeg

8BAEE405-DAE7-4282-B109-DE3ED7B71AE0.jpeg

Looks rather ugly, but the area is much stronger than it originally was and this area will be covered up by my hand when trooping anyway. I wish I would have added this reinforcement during initial construction. I don’t think it would have prevented the damage it received, but it would have possibly prevented the inevitable damage due to being hollow. :unsure:

Last edited:
Great repair job! Doesn't look too bad and like you said, the gloves will cover that. I was definitely worried about this detail on my EE-3 and I drilled holes and reinforced that area with metal pins but there is still minor cracking lol

Great repair job! Doesn't look too bad and like you said, the gloves will cover that. I was definitely worried about this detail on my EE-3 and I drilled holes and reinforced that area with metal pins but there is still minor cracking lol

Thanks. I wish I would have had such forethought. Even though I believe it to be stronger than before, I will still need to be careful while handling it.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back