*Update* 3D Printed ROTJ EE-3 Build…and Subsequent Repair.

ShortFuse

Well-Known Hunter
At the beginning of this year I commissioned 3D Master Lazerjock to print me a resin ROTJ EE-3 kit using RafalFett models.

This is the beautiful result.

EE-3.jpg

The resolution is very high and will require little to no sanding. I purchased the aluminum stock bracket from Airmarshal, since a resin one would be too fragile and would eventually and undoubtedly break. The stock bracket fits in the slot and bolt holes line up perfectly. A testament to these three guys.

Not pictured is a 4x20 scope I purchased due to the printed one being very thin-walled and fragile.

This will be taking the place of my current EE-3, that is a Hasbro conversion I did several years ago.

My first step will be to shoot everything with primer to see if there is any sanding required and then do a preliminary assembly. Are there any suggestions for hardware types/sizes? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated since this will be my first actual EE-3 kit build. Thanks.

Last edited:
ShortFuse
Awesome little kit! As you know, we ALL love to add "Metal" parts and pieces to our kits. I seen this in the Cargo Hold, they are spendy. But depending on yer budget, may be worth a look.

-Iron

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

ShortFuse I know you already saw these notes, but wanted to post them publicly. Maybe they can help someone else.

1. When you are ready to attach the stock greebles they may not lay flat against the stock. Just use a heat gun to warm up the greebles. They will soften enough for you to form them.

2. I did a light sanding of the parts. You may want to go over them again to get the finish you are looking for.

3. When I switched to the grey resin there were 2 places where it left a gap. I filled these in for you. Those are the red spots you see.

4. Primer everything before painting. The prints take paint well as long as they are clean and dry.

5. If a part breaks use super glue to repair it. It works great with this resin.

6. Super glue is also how I recommend assembling the blaster.

7. I don't recommend making any of the parts movable. For example the flair gun can be opened to load a flair. I recommend super gluing everything in place. This is a 3D print not steel.

8. If you break a part beyond repair just let me know I have all of the files and can reprint anything you might need.

9. Please let me know if you have questions about or need help with the assembly. I can walk you though it.

Indeed it has. Unfortunately I haven’t done much since it seems life has been throwing me curve balls here lately and I have found very little free time for this as well as my BM helmet paint up. Rest assured, it has not been forgotten or abandoned.

Small update.

Shot everything with primer. There will need to be a little sanding done but that was to be expected. Overall, the print by Lazerjock is very smooth.
95BD64DC-AF55-45F7-B794-2E5FEC7D2CB5.jpeg

There were a few spots that needed to be filled. I did not initially see these due to the translucency of the resin material.
AD78180A-744D-4096-B957-971EA16B6CD2.jpeg

4048013F-86DA-4A4A-A3FD-F8427EC6770D.jpeg

9BE84EE5-846E-4467-8885-BB0F5804E2CA.jpeg

No problem though. I just need to fill the gaps with the same Bondo glazing putty that I used for the BM helmet repair.
7ED83B0E-CB7F-404A-A96F-564823AF16B4.jpeg

Now to let the putty dry and then sand it down smooth.
CCBDBD4A-FA98-47E7-A537-3DC65470204C.jpeg

I also picked up the replica EE-3 hardware set from Airmarshal. Honestly, it was a little pricey but in this hobby what isn’t? I think they will add a nice touch though.
24A0CB8F-725B-4ACF-BCBE-040CE9E7CB41.jpeg

That’s all for now. Slowly chipping away at it. Thanks.

I also picked up the replica EE-3 hardware set from Airmarshal. Honestly, it was a little pricey but in this hobby what isn’t? I think they will add a nice touch though.
ShortFuse
This is really taking shape! Can't wait to see the end result! And yes, it's all about those little touches. Speaking of EE-3's I should reach back out to Sidewinder about my order. I'm in no rush, but super excited to see it.
:cool:(y)

It looks like the small splits occurred where I had to switch from the clear resin to the grey resin. I miscalculated how much the print was going to use and didn't have any more clear.
Sorry.
The build is looking really good!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back