That's looking really good so far. And I know what you mean, Kevnaminute. I've always found the Moss Green to be a little too light for the base green of the RotJ helmet. Plus it has a little too much of a blue hue to it. I use Krylon Italian Olive on my RotJ helmets. It's darker without the blue base and will then lighten up when you add the light grey oversprays. But, without knowing the 'exact' color used on the RotJ filming helmet, it's all a matter of opinion.
Thanks guys. Certainly appreciate it. Also, I know with the weathering I have to do to finish this off, will that also have an affect on the color of the green somewhat? For example, if I use Deadland's blackwash technique will that alter the color more towards the dark nature of the actual Fett helmet?
As for the red (thanks for the tip Raf) I'm going to plan on using the Rusto claret wine satin using STG's guide for a flat black base. If anyone has any experience with that or thinks of something I should or should not do - please chime in!
Generally happy with the color but I had all type of problems with the flat black - came out like a powder and while I tried to clean up before repainting I think some if it was trapped beneath the new layers and refuses to dry - note left mandible in particular - I never set out to recreate the perfect ROTJ lid but I'm unsure about hat damage on the left side (guess I could call it my mandible cat scratch!) I respect everyone's opinion on how this looks
Good work, love the backpanels.The upper cheeks aren't black at all, i think- it should be a very dark green e.g, poll scale PRR brunswick green.Take a look here, it shows, how the green turns out:http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/bobamaker-rotj-paintjob-43452/#post558145
Don't wanna claim, that this is the ultimate solution, but it's closer to the helmet shown in the reference galleries.
Thanks Rapier, are you talking about along the upper mandible area?
Actually, I'm going to sand down the area and try again. I guess when you look at yours long enough and then at screen shots, you start getting ticked that yours didn't turn out the way you wanted so I'm going to get a better black and give it another go. Sand down the bad areas, remask and blast it again.
Well, I redone my cheeks and managed - I think - to get a more accurate color as well as repair some of the paint problems I had in regards to where the damage was on the screen helmets. I used a flat black base, then Navy Blue, then Hunter Green, with another mist of flat black. Going to take some wire wool to it to dull the sheen then add more scratches. LMK how this looks, Thanks!
Finally got down a nice shade of red (and visor taped in) - started adding some scratches (I enjoy that part!) and I'm going to topically apply the gray. From there need to do the ears, kill stripes and paint the back plate plus more weathering but I can see the end of the tunnel.
As to the dome/lower cheeks, I know the color is fine, but what can I put on it to give it a darker tone similar to the movie lid? A green acrylic wash, black wash, what are some suggestions? Thanks all!
I actually think your green is ok - some light mistings with a more olive shade, may help a little. But I would actually look at toning back the red a bit, as it appears particularly bright. Adding the grey highlights and weathering will help big time, and may be enough - but I think you might find all the colours will blend more if the brightness of that red is knocked back somewhat.. Peace
Hi Kev - I would definitely colour test on some scrap, but I would try very light misting with a very light grey, and with your mentioned black, and see what looks better. it will be important to finish your weathering and grey areas first though, to see how much that tones the colour back. You could even try some very light pastel weathering with a white or light shade of grey, as if it doesn't work, you can always wash it off. The ROTJ just doesn't quite have the red as bold. But the helmet overall is looking a treat!
Added kill stripes and weathered the ears - kill stripes are folk art pure orange. I weathered the ears with a wash of black and burnt umber mixed - think I may need to go darker with the weathering. Next step is getting the range finder on and more, more, more weathering