Stormtrooper Helmet - Ears??

Noah

New Hunter
Hey All,
I recently found an old stormtrooper helmet kit in my shed i bought a few years back and decided to give it a go, and i wasnt at all suprised when i found out it didnt fit together perfectly, there was a gap on either side about an inch wide. so i have spent today filling the gaps with bondo, however i seem to have lost the ear pieces to my helmet and thought i would try making some heres what i have come up with - sorry there is no circle thingy at the top have not added that in yet, i was thinking - would it be a good idea to finish this and cover it in bondo and sand it down, but im not sure if it would just be a waste of time + bondo- i would really like to know what you think,
Thanks

IMG-20110901-00020.jpg

IMG-20110901-00018.jpg

IMG-20110901-00019.jpg

Did u Bondo the dome to the face?! :eek: Thats not good...there are plenty of places to get ears bud...theyre not expensive either

Last edited by a moderator:
bondo was only used on the face because it was heavily chipped all over (especially near the brow it was kicked a few times in the shed by the family :S) so bondoing was really the only option or it would have looked even worse

and most of the bondoing on the face will be covered over by the rubber strip that will be added on the brow once it has been painted

There are several helmet sellers on FISD (whitearmor.net) that you can ask for replacement ears from. Would help you if you know what make the helmet is from though.

hey guys thanks for the responses - i went ahead and bondoed up the ear i made and the results are below, I do not know the make of the helmet sorry - it was close to destroyed when i found it and its been quite a job to bondo all the cracks and holes - not to mention the missing parts, i have come to the conclusion that i will continue with the ears i am making and vacumform the result- do you think this would be a good idea?
Thanks

IMG-20110902-00027.jpg

IMG-20110902-00028.jpg

IMG-20110902-00029.jpg

IMG-20110902-00030.jpg

I guess if u can vacform ur own, but it looks like you bondo'd the face to the dome where the strip goes how do u plan to add the strip if theyre attached?

well i have found an old strip of rubber that is the right shape/size, and after bondoing the brow to the dome it has left a level surface, heres a pic i took after i stuck it on with blue tak
(the earpiece is also stuck on with blue tak)
IMG-20110902-00032.jpgIMG-20110902-00031.jpg

OK, the rubber strip isnt just a strip is kind of a U shaped strip that goes onto the dome piece of plastic, not just stuck on there, theres a raised brow under that strip u have that shouldnt be there, if that doesnt make sense... SiMan Helmet Build - First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment - Page 2 thats a thread where someones putting together a TK lid, also ur ear is sitting WAY to far back it should cover the seam of the face and the dome where they meet on the side get on white armor and look into all this sir it will deffinately help

Great work on trying to repair an old bucket! Like Fett 4 Real said. . the ear is sitting to far back. It should touch end of strip. Good luck on the project.

okay thanks for the advice guys :D , on close inspection you can see that back and the front halfes of the helmet are bigger than the dome when they are placed together, so bondoing is the only way to assemble it otherwise the dome would fall through the middle of the two halfes (i have no idea why its like this but my closest guess it that it must have been compressed in the shed as it was under a heavy old sewing machine)

Ah, well now I see it's an FX helmet, or possibly a recast of it. The front on pics and that you say it's a 3-piece hdesign (not counting the ears) gives it away. Those helmets never had a U-type brow trim, but rather a black rubber foam piece glued on to it (the horror!).

Unless you really want to rescue that helmet i suggest you save yourself the effort and buy something cheap like ATA from FISD. It'll look a lot better.

ahh well, just thought it might be a nice little project but looks as if i might have bitten off more than i can chew :/, might keep it for a side project in my spare time...
what price do helmet kits start at and where could i get my hands on one - ebays been no help :/
I live in the Uk
Thanks for all the advice/help guys.

For all things Stormtrooper you seek First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. Helmet kits vary in price from $170 (seconds maybe) to probably $275 or so. TM (troopermaster) is in the UK but does not produce in the volume that some of the makers stateside do, so his items are harder to come by. If you're serious about a helmet check out the sellers on FISD (whitearmor). If you want replacement ears for your FX, pm MightyTank on the boards.

I'd say that helmet kits range from 120 to 250 USD, where ATA and CAP-W are the cheapest, alongside AP "B-grade" for about 150 USD. Either way, you want to check out FISD for some good TK stuff.

I have decided to carry on with the restoration of the helmet - as it will only be used for display and i am not really bothered about it being screen accurate- i am also planning to paint it black to create a shadow trooper helmet

More Pics and Updates soon :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back