My Darth Vader WIP

So the left and right cheeks alternate colors? Weird. I will probably just do top/bottom and bridge of the nose and then ask her what else she wants done with the gunmetal. It's not going to be worn around anyone who will know the difference. Working on the chest/shoulders this week, I painted it up in silver and black to show off. Even my expert costuming friends who attend multiple conventions every year said "Isn't the whole thing black?"

Also, I found Rustoleum Metallic Charcoal spraypaint today. Does anyone use that for the "gunmetal" color? It's the darkest metallic I have seen. I used to do a lot of graffiti, so I know spraypaint, but I don't have much experience with metallic or gloss (they get drippy when you're working fast in the dark on top of other wet paint).

I don't think that's something to brag about.....

Not something to brag about? When you do graffiti, there's a lot of repetition and practice involved. There's also a large community of people (who are very hostile to outsiders and hard to contact) with a knowledge base comperable to that of the costuming community.

Spraypaint is the kind of thing most people on this forum will buy based on a recommendation online (or the price on the shelf), use half a can to paint one small item, and leave the rest to go bad or get thrown out. Painting a mural with spraypaint will easily empty 5-20 cans and leave you with a lot of partially used cans, too. Getting good at it requires painting often, therefore I've bought A LOT of paint over the years. Spraypainting a wall is done all at once without waiting for each color to dry, so there's tricks to that. There's also can-control similar to the control you'd need to learn for a Dremel thru experience (except you probably don't learn to use a Dremel in the dark). There's different spray tips (which most people don't have because they have to be ordered in quantities of 50-100pcs). Some tips work better with specific brands. Different quality brands and finishes (flat, satin, gloss) are useful for different parts of a piece.

I was stating that I'm familiar with all of this, but there's a reason I've never used much metallic paints. Now if you wanna debate legallity of vandalism of abandoned, crumbling buildings with me, we can do that with PMs and not fill a Darth Vader costume thread with off-topic conversation.

Nice Vader!
On a side note:
I for one am proud of my roots....being from the South Bronx.....Graffiti is in my blood. From bombing to all out photo-realistic murals.
Unfortunately most of America's perception of the art form is looked down on and derogatory. Learning to control the spray of a "rattlecan" prepped me for airbrushing which I rely on heavily in the SPFX industry....I guess you can say that it also helped me in my career as a graphic designer with the digital "airbrush" in Photoshop.
There are some vandals with no artistic skill out there that give true artists a bad name.......but I assure you, as NegativeEleven stated, it is a skill that can transcend to other forms of creating.

Now back to our regular scheduled program......

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back