Resin Issues

Walteekin25

New Hunter
Hey guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to RTV and resin and I'm having abit of a problem. I have a one part RTV mold, and when I pour the resin to the brim as it hardens it expands for some reason. Then when I pull the part out the underside is all whacked. Any ideas for a fix on this?

Thanks

I think its not expanding, i think your mold is deforming.

Can i see a picture of your mold and mother mold? How big and how much weight are you talking about.

In my experience. if the mold isnt at least 1/4 3/8 of an inch thick in ALL spots. it will buckle.

try roto casting one (fill it half full and just swish it around, pop it out and see if thats deformed.

No see the Polyurethane resin is coming out the top of the mold.

Mold2.JPG

Stormrider is right on the money, it's moisture. When you buy some new resin, go ahead and get a can of dry gas. You spray it into your canisters when your done using them, and it helps remove excess moisture.

I use smoothon roto if i want something with a little flex to it, and I use alumilite if i want something rock hard.

Sometimes I use the same cups over and over for pouring resin, and if its a heavy humidity day, my resin will foam on small pieces:)

Thats why people prefer to make things for people in 'runs' because its not good to have resin just sitting around for months. it goes bad (so does silicon) and its wasted.

I have not tried the smoothcast 32x series, but as stormtrooperguy says above, they take pigments (colors) well (a lot better than the rotocast series) as well as fillers (aluminum or microballoons).

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back