Another BKBT Helmet!

BTW-I just taped off and sprayed the royal blue onto the cheeks. This has to sit for awhile before I can handle it. But, it should be ready for the rubb and buff by late tonight or tomorrow. Will post pics later tonight of it

Okay, here it is as of right now. I just clear coated it.

001-41.jpg

Hmm..there was a small flub up. I should have clear coated the ocean blue before taping it off for the royal blue. Its not terrible, but its really annoying me. The only thing is that I need to get more ocean blue to fix it though so I need to order more :usgh:

Looking good!
I'll be painting my helmet soon, this thread is already coming in handy.
So no trouble fitting the visor?

Looking good!
I'll be painting my helmet soon, this thread is already coming in handy.
So no trouble fitting the visor?

Well, im just waiting for the visor to come in. I have a really powerful heat gun, which I *should* be able to really heat up and make the acrylic visor really flexible, enough so that I can really just plop it in there, and work with it, without having to use the heat gun on the inside, which could affect the paint.

Well, after looking at it, the flub up is not too bad, you have to be looking for it,and its relativly hard to notice, especially from a distance. Plus, a little bit of weathering can hide most of it.

I also applied a second coat of clear coat to try and get an even gloss over it. Something I noticed about this can of ocean blue though, is that it appears to be a "brighter" shade then my helmet's blue area. Its not that its not the right color, its just that you can clearly see the two seperate blue tones, where as on mine, its almost matching. The best way to see what I mean, is if you have "star wars bounty hunter," you can clearly see the two tones, and thats what this is looking like right now.

Im going to start the rubb and buff tonight

Alright, well here's what I was talking about. In the first pic, you can see with a flash, the two look pretty much exactly the same. But in the second, without flash, you can see a slight variation. I dunno what's up with that. I noticed that the original ocean blue I used on mine has a different look on the can then the one I was able to get for this, but they are still both labled as "krylon short cuts: ocean blue."

001-42.jpg

002-29.jpg

Ugh, Im considering redoing the silver on my dome...those white blotches that show up with flash has REALLY bothered me this whole time...Im just afraid of ruining it..

Silver is done. Not much else left, just gotta do all the ear stuff and weather it all at the end. I drilled holes ont the top of the stalk and make the countersink for the chicago screw as well

002-30.jpg

WOW! Chris it coming along real nice.(y)(y) I can't wait to see your finished product, I wanted to let you know that I'm following this thread step by step, and I only hope my helmet comes out just as nice.:cheers

Keep up the great work!

Just to update, I started the work on the last pieces and RF. I painted the one piece ear, and the lower RF ear that wont need any modifications.

I drilled the holes for the magnets, and attached the RF box to the stalk. I had also touched them up with some bondo, which is curing. I then made the holes for the LEDs that I will be adding.

So Im on the home stretch with this one, and still waiting for the visor lol Should hopefully be done by next week, if not sooner

-tubachris

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I added the pinnstripping as well. Almost got into a car accident picking it up rofl

Two of the ear pieces are finished drying and are ready to be Goop'ed on

Alright, well I was just messing, I'll get recent pics tomorrow. I attached the (from the front) the right ear (solid one) and the lower rangfinder side ear. I have currently positioned two magnets one the outer ear cap (the two most distant to avoid magnet's pulling them closer. So those two are lined up to the inner ear magnet holes. Its crucial that I give the two part epoxy significant time to cure for this, cause Ive had magnets come off after. However, I have not heard of this happening with Darksword's BKBKT I worked with, so I think I got it down.

The right side solid ear casting that came with it is slightly warped, like a very slight curve. Its most clearly visible on the ends, because it will not sit flush. Its not terrible, but Im going to have to really rely on the paint for the weathering to help hide this fault. Other then that, its getting there. I can have this ready to wear by next week, mid-week, but I still need that visor, hopefully tomorrow!

Alright, here are the pictures I promised. The magnets are all set in place and just need to let them all sit where they are and cure for a day or two before I attempt at putting them together. You can see that the helmet is pretty much done, with the exception of everything else.

The only things left is to paint the magnetic ears, and attach them, size down the LEDs and epoxy them into the holes on the RF box and then paint that. Then I will get a resin filler that was recommended to me by BKBT himself to fill that minimal gap between the right side ear cap. After all thats done, I will weather it, add a mesh screen on the inside of the keyslots, and attach the visor once it's in. Not much left.

004-19.jpg

006-17.jpg

-TC

Just an update, I got the BM visor in today, and its actually almost the perfect curve, but still needs some forming though. I put it up inside, and gotta say, its going to look pretty good finished.

I painted the magnetic ears and attached the helmet side one, as well as drilled the hole for the RF. So now its looking pretty much done. Just gotta finish the RF box and paint it. I had a bit of car trouble today, a handfull of slimy grease crud and $95 that-I-didnt- need-to-spend later, and now Im good to go :ugh:

Will be finished soon, hoping my dremel blade will work for cutting down the LEDs..

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back