The two knobs on the back of the helmet vent

stonerook

Active Hunter
Anyone know what they are? are they a "found" item, or does someone have some casted up?

I have something similar I whipped up, but they are a bit too large.

They look like the "knurled" screw covers on the old time computer cases to me...

stonerook said:
Anyone know what they are? are they a "found" item, or does someone have some casted up?

They look like the "knurled" screw covers on the old time computer cases to me...

I found something that looks close. I went to Lowes in the electrical section and bought some lamp sockets. The bakelite switches looked a lot like those parts in the helmet keyholes.

Evan4218 has my helmet and those parts. PM him and see if he'll post a pic of them in the keyholes on my helmet.

wirenuts1.jpg

Helmet 01.jpg

These are the what you are talking about. They are a special type of wire nut if I am not mistaken. Sadly the wire nuts at your local home depot are too large. (As were the ones that RIP sent me for his helmet) So I am casting some. ;) I will post when I have them done.

evan4218 said:
They are a special type of wire nut if I am not mistaken. Sadly the wire nuts at your local home depot are too large. (As were the ones that RIP sent me for his helmet) So I am casting some. ;) I will post when I have them done.

Wire nut? :confused Has that been confirmed?

You found something better than the parts I sent you? These I have to see! :D

stonerook said:

I was thinking something along the same lines...the post like screw thing that you use to screw in a monitor cable or a scsi cable to the back of the computer.

so whatever they are are the glued onto the calculator circuit board?

Well, I went to Wally World and found light sockets that had the "bakelite" type switches on. (ripcode idea)

About $2.67 USD.

Snapped them off, put a little JB to make the dome top, (they had a flat top with a little concave surface) and tonight I will paint them up.

They have the same length and width from what I can see on the pics, and with the dome, they are pretty close to looking like the prop knobs.

I will be gluing mine straight to the circuit board with CA probably.

All in all, they look good enough for my purposes!

Thanks for the info guys!

I thought perhaps they were wire nuts, but most nuts are flaired at the bottom, these are not.... Plot thickens lol

(will post pics tonight)

stonerook said:
I will be gluing mine straight to the circuit board with CA probably.

How I had mine originally attached:

Drill a tiny hole into the part (The hole is the size of a paperclip). Drill that same size hole into the circuit board where the part is going.

Use CA to glue a length of paper clip into the part. Then glue the other end of the paper clip into the circuit board. This gave me a way to control how high the part sat off the circuit board and you could easily bend the part to get the correct looking angle.

However... since Evan4218 has a hold of my helmet... this method may change... :lol:

I failed to mention that,

I always pin anything like this with clipped off nails/paperclips and drill holes,

stuff is less prone to snap off like that.

Works really good on resin model kits of people, I've dropped them, and where I had it pinned, it survived.

However, unpinned items went spinning off into the carpet, never to be seen again....

Well, with the lead from Ripcode, I went to wally world and picked up two GE lamp sockets (52877) for $2.76 a piece.

I ripped them out of the assembly:

knob_0.jpg

I added a few drops of JB weld to fill in the top, after it cured, I sanded it to the shape I wanted.

Painted them up with red spray paint, then using dry brushing, put on the silver/chrome highlights.

I then cut them a little pass the ridges, and added "pins" to them.

Drilled two holes in the circuit board assembly, and used CA to hold them in place.

I made the holes angled to the prop angles - makes it easier to mount.

and this is what I came up with:

knob_1.jpg

knob_2.jpg

I think they came out pretty darn close to the real thing!

thanks for the help Ripcode - would of never thought to look at lamp assemblies for this.

:cheers

stonerook said:
thanks for the help Ripcode - would of never thought to look at lamp assemblies for this.

:cheers

Sweet! They look great! (y) I knew they would! (y)

Evan4218 isn't using the ones I sent him... I gotta see what he is cooking up! :confused (And he's making me wait until Sunday! :cry )

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back