Transfer PaperSubscribe
  1. mandalorian01's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Dec 16, 2014, 5:25 PM - Transfer Paper #1

    What is the name of the transfer/wax paper that you use to draw the stencils on the helmet. Where do you buy it at?

  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Dec 16, 2014, 6:55 PM - Re: Transfer Paper #2

    It's called just what you said: transfer paper. You can get it in black or white at most art supply or office supply places.
    Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Office Depot, Staples. . . places like that.
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Dec 16, 2014, 9:24 PM - Re: Transfer Paper #3

    Look for "Saral" brand transfer paper. I found it a couple different local art supply stores. Buy a bright coloured roll and a dark colored roll. That way, you can use whichever creates contrast, so it's easier to see. Gray on gray paint is bad, yellow on gray paint is great!
  5. Jayvee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 AM - Re: Transfer Paper #4

    Just another small tip - when you get the paper and start stencilling, use a mechanical pencil e.g. pacer, faber castell etc. This way, you will always get a fine, sharp and consistent outline. While it sounds simple, many use a standard pencil. Not only is the constant sharpening a pain with a standard pencil, if the stencil line is too thick, it can make the difference of the damage looking oversized..
  6. intwenothor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Dec 17, 2014, 1:35 AM - Re: Transfer Paper #5

    I think the paper I used was called tracedown and jayvee makes a great point about the pencil; if the point ain't sharp the result can be quite messy.
  7. mandalorian01's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Dec 19, 2014, 12:35 PM - Re: Transfer Paper #6

    thanks guys!
  8. Darth Voorhees's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Dec 19, 2014, 10:59 PM - Re: Transfer Paper #7

    i actually use a ball point pen instead of a pencil for consistent line thickness. I use Mona Lisa/Speedball chacopaper. It wipes off with warm water and is a blue color. It sucks on the grey though as its hard to see, so for that i just rub a white charcoal pencil on the back of the stencil and trace it that way.

Similar Threads

  1. Correct Folio Dry Transfer On Etsy
    By RafalFett in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 8, 2012, 8:25 PM
  2. Letraset Dry Transfer Font - Folio Bold Condensed.
    By RafalFett in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: May 19, 2012, 5:39 AM
  3. Made the paper!
    By Farva in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 6, 2008, 4:50 PM
  4. Radio Shack Voice Amp Transfer
    By batninja in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2005, 4:56 PM
  5. paper mache' ?
    By Yroc Yar in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug 26, 2004, 2:23 PM