RWH Scratchbuild

Murolaattori

New Hunter
Hello!

This is my third attempt at a bucket and I thought I needed some expert opinions on the helmets current state. I used a skating bucket as the base for the dome and the rest of the helmet is made from black polystyrene using Rafal Fett's incredible templates.
I noticed it was a big mistake to use black polystyrene because it is very hard to make any markings on it. But that is what I had to go with because that was all the local store had. But don't you make the same mistake!

So, anyhow, what do you think about the dome shape at the moment? It is not nearly finished shape yet. And also, do you think the helmet is wide enough or is the lower part of the helmet too long/tall compared to the dome? I know that it will seem whole lotta wider when I add the ears but it's hard to compare it with the pictures of boba with ears.

IMGP5434.JPG

IMGP5433.jpg

IMGP5430.jpg

It seems that you have done an excellent job so far with my templates. Looking at the helmet I can say that the dome is OK and I did a quick compare with the ESB Hero helmet:

RWH ESB Compare.jpg

For the black polystyrene you can use a silver pen to draw all the marks you need. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Rafal Fett!

Based on your pictures it seems pretty spot on, maybe I should add a little to the backside of the helmet and seems like the dome has a little semi-flat spot on the top.
Your templates are very accurate indeed! Great job on them! Can't thank you enough!

And about the markings. I solved it with a white gel pen, but the bad thing is that it swipes of very easily.

Thanks Rafal Fett!

Based on your pictures it seems pretty spot on, maybe I should add a little to the backside of the helmet and seems like the dome has a little semi-flat spot on the top.
Your templates are very accurate indeed! Great job on them! Can't thank you enough!

And about the markings. I solved it with a white gel pen, but the bad thing is that it swipes of very easily.

Thanks for the kind words! How you will do the ears and the rangefinder? You will use the one piece cut-fold-and-glue system? If you have problem with this system, I will help you gladly.
Good work!

The dome looks a little too sloped back at the forehead, you can see it best in raffs comparison pics, but other than that it looks good!

Rafal Fett -
I don't think the folding would work very well with the plastic. I have already started the right ear by duplicating the same piece and stacking them on each other. This way they become more sturdier and it adds a little weight to them too. But I won't hesitate to ask if I have any problems!

Armydad -
Thanks! You are right, it is a little bit too sloped! Man this thing is starting to get heavy with all the putty.

By the way, do you have any advices for doing the dent? I mean, I know that I must first do a dent-shaped hole to the dome and RafalFett's templates have this covered too, but I'm wondering more about the details, to get it real smooth and accurate? RWH templates have the folding piece too which to put inside the hole but I wasn't able to make it work when I tried it on one of my earlier buckets.

Rafal Fett -
I don't think the folding would work very well with the plastic. I have already started the right ear by duplicating the same piece and stacking them on each other. This way they become more sturdier and it adds a little weight to them too. But I won't hesitate to ask if I have any problems!

For my system to work you might use a thinner material (under 1mm thickness) and make it stronger by filling in the inside space.

By the way, do you have any advices for doing the dent? I mean, I know that I must first do a dent-shaped hole to the dome and RafalFett's templates have this covered too, but I'm wondering more about the details, to get it real smooth and accurate? RWH templates have the folding piece too which to put inside the hole but I wasn't able to make it work when I tried it on one of my earlier buckets.

The dent can be done using the same material with under 1mm thickness then cover it with bondo and polish it smooth. See here how I did mine ==> Boba Fett Helmet Project or here ==> Making The First RWH.

For my system to work you might use a thinner material (under 1mm thickness) and make it stronger by filling in the inside space.

The dent can be done using the same material with under 1mm thickness then cover it with bondo and polish it smooth. See here how I did mine ==> Boba Fett Helmet Project or here ==> Making The First RWH.

Ah yes, I might give it a go. What would you recommend as the filling material? I don't think bondo is a good choice since it would be very hard to get it evenly everywhere. One choice is also resin, but that would become messy unless I can somehow seal the piece. Are there any other choices?

I have read your threads before too but I never noticed that you have cut the dent to pieces? It was the folding I had problems with. Maybe the material I was using was too thick or the cuts will help with that. I doubt it was the material since it was cardstock or what's it called.

While I'm at it, is there any map for the various scratches and markings on boba's bucket? I mean the physical not the painted ones? Or should I just look at the GMH helmet for the physical damage?

It depends which version you want. The Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and the ESB has similar phisical damage, except that the Pre-Pro #1 has no dent, but a big slash like scratch on the top left of the dome:

PP1 Phisical Damage.jpg PP3 Phisical Damage.jpg ESB Phisical Damage.jpg

On the ROTJ helmet are more scratch like phisical damages:

ROTJ Phisical Damage 01.jpg ROTJ Phisical Damage 02.jpg

The Pre-Pro #2 (and the GMH, which is a casted PP2 helmet) had the same scratch like marks, but in different places:

PP2 Phisical Damage 02.jpg PP2 Phisical Damage 01.jpg

The Sandy too has multiple scratches:

Sandy Phisical Damage.jpg

For the dent you can use any material, because you can always strenghten it from the inside, and I guess even thin cardboard could do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! That is very useful info! My favourite color scheme is the ESB so I think I will go with that. It doesn't appear to have that much physical damage so that should be easy.

I put yesterday a little coat of paint on the dome to see all the tiny scratches and marks. It looked really good! The dome should ready soon! Then I can start the mandibles. That is really painful since I don't have any small precise tools for that and have to do all by hand. :) But I know it's worth it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back