Complete Beginner Seeking First Helmet Advice

Mongoose193

New Hunter
Hello!

I have been a huge fan of The Dented Helmet for years now, and have finally decided to give putting together a complete costume together. I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions about where to start for a first helmet. I have no idea how to weld, so I figured constructing my own would be challenging at best, and I wanted to give painting a try before I purchased an expensive well put together kit.

I wanted to go somewhere along these lines: Boba Fett Don Post Helmet Customization Guide??Some time ago (2004), I stumbled upon The Dented Helmet, the definitive source for*Star Wars prop collecting and customization.?*?I eventually began some dialogue*with a member of the 501st Legion who re

Taking an inexpensive helmet and attempting to apply my own paint job to make it look better. Also, to see where I am at with painting skill and all that.

So I have two questions:

1) Is this even a smart idea to go along with, or am I going about starting this process completely wrong? If I'm going about this the complete wrong way, is there anything you would suggest me do?

2) What helmet would you suggest I start with? I would like to spend under $100

I have searched the forums, but I didn't find anything that answered these questions, so any and all suggestions are welcome. Even if they are "Kid, you're insane. Turn back now before you make a fool of yourself."

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you soon.

Scott

Hey Scott, ASOK offers a Budget kit with everything you need if you want to get a more accurate helmet kit. It is possible to do that way too with the Don Post helmets. The Don Posts just aren't as durable and are usually warped. These kits won't have that problem and it will be a good 501st helmet if you're going for approval.

Heres a link below.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/asoks-jango-boba-helmet-run-going-now-47776/

It will cost a little more than $100 but it will save you some time. Some assembly required too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Asok lid is a good choice. Also fettpride will has something up his sleeve to be shown soon, so that may also be an option.

Asok budget bobas are great. Keep in mind, you'll need a bunch of other stuff to make it happen, such as:
T visor
mounting hardware for the visor
glues/epoxys
Paints
Airbrush
Cleaner/thinners
Sandpaper/steel wool
transfer paper
masking tape (detail tape as well)
masking fluid
applicators/brushes
Dremel cutoff wheels and such

There's a bunch of "hidden costs" lurking about, so be sure to account for those things when looking into these projects.

I am starting my Boba costume based on the SE Fett.....So I bought the ASOK helmet and this is a great quality CC bucket......I am on my way but still gathering a bunch of pieces. You will also need the MQ-1 chip which Asok supplies.

Hello all, first post here, been enjoying reading for the past few weeks, I've narrowed my decision to ROTJ or SE Fett, but I'm having a tough time deciding. At some point I saw several very clear pics comparing the two helmets side by side being rotated, but I can't seem to find it anymore, anyone have a link?. And just to make sure I'm correct in this, the only difference is the use of the ESB helmet in the SE version, is that correct?

<edit>

I found these two side by side comparisons for those of you deciding between the two:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-rotj-boba-fett-helmet-84791/
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/pics-esb-vs-rotj-7774/

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back