As You Wish Artist Highlight - Chris Trevas

Art Andrews

Community Founder
Community Staff
chris-trevas-retro-robot-header.jpg

Welcome to another Artist Highlight from the As You Wish Helmet Project! This helmet along with 49 others will be displayed a Star Wars: Celebration VI in Orlando, FL from Aug 23-26. Starting Thursday, August 23 these helmets will be auctioned on eBay by the Make-A-Wish Foundation with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.

Please be sure to LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/asyouwishproj

Artist Overview
chris-trevas.jpg

Artist: Chris Trevas

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trevasillustration

Twitter: Chris Trevas (christrevas) | Twitter

TDH: Tell us a bit about yourself.

Trevas: I have been a professional Star Wars illustrator for over 15 years creating art for books, magazines, games, trading cards, packaging, and limited edition prints. My clients include Randomhouse, DK Publishing, Scholastic, Golden Books, Wizards of the Coast, and Topps. One of my latest books is the Haynes Millennium Falcon Owner’s Workshop Manual. I'm currently illustrating my fourth book in the Star Wars Essential Guide series, The Essential Reader’s Companion.

TDH: What drew you to the As You Wish Helmet Project?

Trevas: I missed the last charity project with the stormtrooper helmets, and was even more excited when I heard that this one would include the opportunity to work on Boba Fett.

chris-trevas-retro-robot-concept-art.jpg
TDH: What was your inspiration for the Retro Robot helmet?

Trevas: I doodle a lot of robots in my free time and I have made a couple of Halloween costumes based on those designs. I just like retro styled robots. I like them to have human qualities like teeth.... it is funny to think of a robot needing teeth.

TDH: Tell us a little about the process of creating this helmet.

Trevas: There are a few "almost Parts of Star Wars" on the helmet and a special meaning to the numbers on the back.

When looking for materials for this build I went looking through my collection of vintage found parts used to make the original Star Wars props. I thought it would be fun to incorporate parts that could have been used in the movies. The eye lenses are from Kodak 35 RF (rangefinder) cameras. I had these stripped down cameras in my parts bin because they are the source of one of the knobs on Chewbacca's bowcaster. On the back of robot's head is a chrome vent left over from another Star Wars prop project. It's from a Gillette Supermax hairdryer which is a major part of the vibro-ax weapon Lando has in Jabba's palace. These pieces, which could have been parts of Star Wars props, worked perfectly for my retro robot.

I wanted to add some graphic details to the helmet so I came up with a design for the back. This numerical designation serves as a double reference to Star Wars and George Lucas. The numbers 8 113 are on the surface a fairly obvious tie-in to Lucas' first movie THX-1138. What you don't notice right away is that the numbers are worn and chipped in a very specific way so that it spells "Fett" in reverse. The large 8 forms an "F" and the 113 becomes "ett". It's something you'd only notice in a mirror or if you look at it through the front-facing camera of your smart phone.

I like to have fun with the little details.

TDH: Now that the helmet is finished, if there is one thing you could change or do differently, what would it be?

Trevas: I am not sure if there is anything I would change. I would have loved to do numerous iterations of this helmet, exploring the theme a bit more.

TDH: With your helmet finished, what is your next project?

Trevas: What is NOT on the plate?!? I am wrapping up a number of projects for Celebration VI, from prints to badge covers. We are also wrapping up another Star Wars book; The Star Wars Essential Reader's Companion. There are a few other Star Wars books I am working on for later in the year.

The finished Retro Robot helmet:
Click images for a closer view. This helmet will be available for sale via eBay starting Thursday, August 23 with 100% of the proceeds going to support Make-A-Wish.
as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-01.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-05.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-02.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-08.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-03.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-07.jpg

as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-04.jpg as-you-wish-helmet-chris-trevas-06.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back