Anyone mold urethane or rubber?

mrgr8ness

Well-Known Hunter
I am looking for someone to mold some urethane pieces for me. I guess they could be some sort of rubber. They are actually fender flares for 74-78 mustangs. The originals were made from urethane, and I have one of the orignals, along with some fiberglass pieces that were molded from the orignals. The fiberglass pieces do not work, because they have no flexability. If I could somehow get urethane or rubber ones molded from the fiberglass ones. If someone out there could do this, I could introduce a large market for them if the price was right.(y)

Thanks seeker:)

Can you post a picture of the size/shape of them? I can hit the shop up, and do some research on what types of plastics you could use on them.

Typically car / automotive pieces are 1 pour plastic, or injected. Not many pourable plastics/rubbers that are hard enough to not flex and crack the paint. But I will look and see what there is available.

Here is a pic of an original spat, made from urethane-
IMG_5363.jpg

Here is the set of fiberglass ones I have-
IMG_5366.jpg

If you are interested in the project, I can send any or all to you for eval. Hoping maybe you can mold the fiberglass ones? They only used these on the King Cobra in 1978. Less than 5000 of the cars were produced. I know a lot of people who would be in for a set of these, depending on price. I think I could get a lot of business for you if can successfully reproduce these close to the originals.

I also wouldn't mind some help or directions on making my own molds to cast the parts. I know almost nothing on making molds. How to make them, what to make them out of, etc. I assume it would have to be a 2 piece mold since it is 2 sided?

Let me do some research as to what would be the best material. The problem at hand is that the hardened rubber is just that, rubber.

Making the mold is no problem. Ill shoot you my cell phone number shortly and we can talk about them.

M2

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back