FP V.2 Interest Thread (FINALLY!) And FP Update

Mine came in on Sat. LOVE THEM! My progress thread will probally make many people cry as the first thing I did today was fill in all the dents on the left chest plate, collar, shoulders, and cod. And then I made all new dents in those same peices!

My armor came over the weekend. What a nice treat to come back from NYCC and find it waiting for me in my living room :) Hehe can't wait to start work on it, though I think after NYCC I will have to kick the paintjob up a notch after seeing 4 superb Bobas together ;)

Here is how mine looks right before I trimmed the flashing off, WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! I have filled the dents on the chest, cod, collar and one of the shoulders, and made new ones where they should be for Pre-pro. Nothing was wrong with the armor when it got to me but since pre-pro has different dents I had to do it. On with the pics.
fettarmor.jpg

fettcod.jpg

fettcolar.jpg

just out of curiosity, how far in advance is the list at this point?

i wonder if i could get on the april list for an rotj set. though i'm still on the fence about the knees, should i order a pair of vac or wait for the rubber.

Ok, I can't keep looking at this thread anymore.:eek: Please put me down for the April run, or May if April is full. Full set ROTJ with knees.(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey... Does anyone know if this is supposed to be there, or should I fill it in a bit? I can't tell from the reference pics. Its the smaller of the 2 ROTJ dents on the left breast plate.

dfheh003.gif

A shape similar to that is on the reall armor though neither of these FP dents are 100% accurate. Its up to you really. No one is gonna call you out for tiny slightly inaccurate dent shapes on the glory that is the FP armor.

Hey guys ..

That small flat basin inside the smaller ROTJ dent is actually there. Lemme dig for the pic ...

FP

***EDIT***

Here is one of a few that exist that shows the small flat basin inside the dent. Depending on the pic, the basin can look smaller and deeper (what mine was based on) and there are those like the one below that make the basin appear to be larger and more shallow. I'll dig for the pics that I used for my reference later when I have time if it's still an issue. But it's still interpretation based on reference pics. When basing sculpting on reference pics, there is no way to say for sure, what is, and what isn't 100% accurate unfortunately.

One especially has to consider this. The dents on the real armor were NOT vac formed into the armor. The dents were made later. This is why there are variances in dents between exhibits and movies. To vac form the dents into the armor to make it easier on the costume builder, means that it will never be 100 % accurate anyway. It's a short cut. However, making the vac molds in such a way that trick the eye into as close to an accurate appearance as possible is the best we can do as sculptors. But, it's cheating true 100 % accuracy. Taking into consideration that reference pics can vary, from exhibit to exhibit, and even from picture to picture, makes this job particularly difficult to please everyone which is why I split the difference ;) I'm actually quite surprised that someone noticed that I even made the effort to put it in there ? :lol:

If any member is particularly bugged by it, and would rather go for the more shallow approach as pictured below, a finite amount of body filler will do the trick. If the consensus is that more would prefer the more shallow basin than not, I would be happy to incorporate that into the next batch on the next and subsequent runs.

BTW- Thanks kbrosseau ... I think ?

FP

refdent.jpg

I wasn't complaining or anything, FP... I've personally never noticed it before, so I wasn't sure. I just didn't wanna mess it up if its supposed to be there. :)

I wasn't complaining or anything, FP... I've personally never noticed it before, so I wasn't sure. I just didn't wanna mess it up if its supposed to be there. :)

No, no .. that's fine bro, seriously ! I didn't take it any other way ! :) My explanation of the methods behind my madness were more for addressing Kbrosseau's comments :facepalm

If anyone has any other questions, please do post them here. THat's what this is all about. Feedback is welcome :)

FP

Hey guys ..

BTW- Thanks kbrosseau ... I think ?

FP

Yeah there wasnt sarcasm in my comment. I really do mean it when I say "the glory that is FP armor" :)
Thats why you can sign me up for April ok?:love

I already knew that the dents were added by hand by a heated implement so thats why I said it was really up to the wearer whether he wants to go for the "shallow approach". No one is gonna care that your dents might look a tiny bit off the money. They look damn close!
But I'm still gonna try to go for the money.:lol:

I am planning on ordering 2 sets of chest armor with my full armor (if that's cool?) and then I will continue to play with the set I have.

Thanks

web1.jpg

My silly post office has had my armor hostage since Saturday. (They forgot to put a yellow slip in my box to let me know I had a package.) So I called with the tracking info (thanks FP) and they said they did indeed have it. It has arrived and is fantastic. Thanks so much.

Quick question for Webchief or anyone else who has owned both the v.1 an v.2 armors. I've read the v.2 has slightly larger chest armor and a skinnier codpiece, but is there any size difference in the other parts, such as collar or shoulder bells, or are the v.1 and v.2 sets of those exactly the same size?

Andy, I really couldn't tell you. While I've owned both V1 and V2 of the chest armor and cod piece, I'm still just using V1 of the shoulders and collar. Sorry!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back