Neoprene under suit-second batch?

thanks for adding me to the list, my wife is thrilled! when can we pay you? i figured out the postage and have the money to give you...just LMK as soon as your ready....I dont want to miss out on getting this

Hi Yvonne,

I am glad that you have re-opened the list. I am sorry but I am going to have to pull out of this run. :( I have been lucky enough to score some of your first batch, and really don't need anymore.(y)

I would still like to get the greeblies though. I will send you a PM to organise payment and shipping address.

Good luck with all the hard work, and also to all the future Zam's coming on board.

Cheers

Kraig & Wendy

I haven't figured out the actual cost yet, because everytime someone adds or subtracts from the list it fluctuates the entire order cost and the amount of fabric. That is why, once it closes in September, you are committing yourself to at least the estimated cost and shipping. I may give a one week in September to give notice for any final changes in people and price, then you all will have to pay up after that week is over. Once I have received all the money, then the manufacturing process begins.Lycra order, Dyeing the material, Tricot lamination, ship to me, cutting, ship to you all. Please do not put me in a situation where you "hope to have the money in by etc, etc." It's not fair to hold things up for the other people on the list that have waited so long already. Plus, it's all going on my account. I might have to do a lab dip coloring test that will also be incorporated into the cost if they don't have my custom color anymore - it's been 2 plus years. And, they got mad at me because I asked them to cut something during the dyeing process. So, if another company has to be used, then I will have some more timing problems. Let's hope the lycra doesn't shrink during the dyeing process. Then I would have major problems with the order. Sigh... I am nervous about the whole process all over again. Gawd, I want to cry.

Don´t worry Yvonne... let's do all step by step...

Now, the list... then the list is closed. then payments, and so...

I think is impossible to tell a FINAL price, if we dont even know HOW many fabric you will order, isnt it ???

So, guys, let's give a break to Yvonne.. and dont press her too much !!! ;)

She is our only HOPE !!!

ZIA... it will be all right... :D One step at a time... deep cleansing breaths inbetween ...

And... if anyone messes this up for you, we'll just have to find a Bounty Hunter to take them out! ;) Do we know anyone like that? Someone like Zam, Jango or Boba?? :lol:

Just got a quote on width. It used to be a different width of fabric, so now, it's at 60" width for the nylon and the neopreneinstead of 54" for the nylon, so you will have more area of usage width-wize. Manufacturing neoprene costs have gone up since the gas hikes, so we'll see how much 3 years worth of inflation and fuel and shipping costs will do to my estimated price ;) I think it should be somewhat close. If everyone stays on the run, it will help costs stay lower.

I'm in !!! Give us more info when you get it please ;)

Same on greeblies... (and if possible, in the other lower armor pieces as well :$).

Ben.

Just got a quote on width. It used to be a different width of fabric, so now, it's at 60" width for the nylon and the neoprene instead of 54" for the nylon, so you will have more area of usage width-wize. Manufacturing neoprene costs have gone up since the gas hikes, so we'll see how much 3 years worth of inflation and fuel and shipping costs will do to my estimated price ;) I think it should be somewhat close. If everyone stays on the run, it will help costs stay lower.
I just talked to the lycra company and their width is also 60" so, you won't have any extra lycra on the edges to sew over on the pants top (by the cumberbun). It's not a "must," but it was just a nicer to have one piece lycra to fold over rather than having to fold over the tri-material on the waist. I asked the lycra company about a bigger width, and since my cut off is in september, he may get another shipment in with a thicker width by then.

List is closed, I have some work to do, I forgot to send the swatch to the dyeing company last week. So, I will be doing that today.

I just sent some stuff to the neoprene co on tuesday, and the swatch to the dyeing co, and got some price quotes, but can't get a final estimated price until I get the neoprene company to talk to me about several adhesion factors. Should come up with the US price without shipping sometime next week after he talks to me about his adhesion test, don't forget, shipping and handling charges are different for different parts of the world. So, I'd have to figure out each person and get the actual total for each person individually.
edit ** Please read: my blog#2

edit** I just wanted to give ya'll an understanding of time frame. I will get the double fabric (lycra to nylon only) next week. This entire list could be revamped depending on the new adhesion of the double fabric, which could mean several more weeks of proofing (resending and discussing swatches and making sure that things are correct) and reediting the list. So, I may have to reopen the list to have everyone sign up for #1 just the original tri-cot (lycra, neoprene, nylon) material OR #2 just the double fabric~ if the lamination goes well. If the double fabric lamination doesn't go well, then we will stick to the original list and I will get to all of you, your prices including shipping, hopefully within a week and a half. I will also hopefully recieve from you all, the funds within a week after that. Then I will have the stuff manufacturered. There should be a 2 1/2 month turn around on getting the fabric to you. The reason I say OR, is because I am not sure that I can do both runs as a bulk run and meet both fabric requirements. Neoprene comes in sheets, therefore, I need a certain amount of people for that run. If everyone bails but just a couple of people, then I can't do the bulk neoprene run. AND, it might be cheaper if the double fabric lamination comes out well. However, the "dressing the Galaxy" book says it was a neoprene like material. So, that's the dilema here ;) Please post questions in this thread for everyone to see. And read the blog first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, editing doesn't do justice with bumping the thread.. I will be posting pics up later if you don't understand my blog or why I am fooling with a thinner material.

Good news, but more waiting. Just got off the phone with the neoprene company, he said he'd give me the info sometime soon on whether the double fabric lamination worked. The great news is, that when they dyeing company dyes the fabric, I can get them to stretch the fabric a little, so that we can have it "hang over" for the pants edge in either case (tricot or double fabric).

If the double works, put me down for that. Neoprene + Me = BAD idea. Failing that... I'm getting an industrial sewing machine this month. Have I just become everyone's new best friend, or what? :)

Thanks so much for doing all this, Yvonne. You're my hero. It'll all work out, we have faith.

Julie
saving pennies

The way I see it:

Tricot Pros:
*Color matches picture swatch in Dressing a Galaxy Book
*Accuracy point: Dressing the Galaxy Book says "neoprene-like fabric"

Double fabric pros (if lamination goes well):
*Color matches picture swatch in Dressing a Galaxy Book
*Will probably wrinkle more like the FIDM material with probably "just enough" bulk, rather than over bulky
*Easier to sew-less needle breakage, because no neoprene. Those of you looking for tailors, won't have as much problems. And, you could probably use a regular sewing machine.
*No heat exhaustion to wearer- because no neoprene. I didn't drink enough liquids either, though, but why run the risk?
*May cost less

Okay.. my question is... how different is the FIDM book color match from the original run of fabric?

Other than messing up my whole color scheme :lol: - the lighter fabric sounds pretty darn good to me! (Arizona ain't no place to wear neoprene if you don't have to! ;) ) If it's the exact same color I could kinda mix'n'match pieces I suppose.

There is no difference in color from the dressing the galaxy book picture swatch from the original run. There should be no mess up in color scheme. The book and tricot material first run color is the same to me. Moncal even said so in some other thread. No noticeable hue or gray differences either.

I am not going to make the second run with the same colors as the ones as the FIDM/MOM costume, but rather, just the same color as what was done the first time (also same as what's in the Dressing the Galaxy book), cause getting more custom color lab dips would cost extra $ and time and my pictures with all the bad lighting would probably not do me justice at guessing the right colors a second time around. And frankly, I want to get this done before C4. They should be the same color as your tricot. I told them that it was a must. Mix n match double fabric vs tricot fabric -hmmm... possibly, but remember, doublefabric will have tons more ease than neoprene. You are dealing with a possible whole new set of patterning. Streching is different. I don't know the difference in negative ease.

Just called the dyeing company and they are sending me the test color via regular mail today. *Crosses fingers* hope it's the same match as what I sent and their eyes are that accurate ;). Sigh. Sorry guys, but the lamination company thought that they had put in our double fabric test last week, but it didn't happen until monday and will continue to cure until Friday. Friday is the earliest I will know if the double fabric came out ok.

If double fabric works, then, the whole list will open again for switching things around, and if people would like to drop/add to the list. Once locked in, I will need three days to compute prices. And hope that everyone will send me payment within a week and a half after the close out date. I am shooting for 5 yards per person. Then 2 1/2 month turn around for fabric. The best made plans of zam and men... I will also post pics for all of you of the test run. The nylon backing will hopefully be black instead of royal blue on the real run. This goes into a small cost difference too. Which will help us out with the chaching$$ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tons of personal issues to deal with this week, as two close friends died, so if I don't get to call this Friday, I will try to call Monday. Just a heads up.

Sorry to hear about your friends ZIA! :( Don't worry about the fabric for now!

Glad that the color will be the same though... and since I don't have a pattern yet anyway... ;) Gads, I'm so unorganized.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back