Neoprene under suit-second batch?

Thanks Zam I Am! I am still interested with the estimated price. If anyone else can point me towards a good pattern, I would appreciate that too!

What changes will be different from the first batch of fabric that was made? Will the color be the same? Will the neoprene be thinner?

Leia214: There is no single pattern available for this costume. ZIA's and the other's that you've seen were all custom designed and made by a seamstress, a route you may wish to go depending upon your own sewing skills. Neoprene can be difficult to sew on a home sewing machine and this fabric is on the thick side. With that in mind: The pattern for the crop top is basically a modified long-sleeved t-shirt (Since the neoprene is non-stretchy you have to add some more fabric for ease or find a pattern for non-stretch fabric). The pants pattern is more difficult. I'm going for a modified jodhpurs pattern, again taking ease into consideration for the non-stretch fabric we're using.

I'm still in!! I can't WAIT to get this stuff. Hopefully this run will be thin enough that my sewing machine won't die, and if not I can probably always sneak into the costume shop at school and use one of the Industrial machines if necessary. As far as the pattern, I think I'm going to be brave and try drafting my own... We'll see how that turns out.

Julie

Please, if you pm'ed me about neoprene, please post your interest here, there's too much to sift through in my pm box for me to remember who wants just neoprene. Only those listed in the first post will be considered for material. Anyone who pm'ed me please be advised, your name won't make this list unless you posted or will post a message of interest on this thread. I am actually trashing pm's in my inbox attempting to clean house. Maulmaus, This list is for the same fabric as what was in the other thread. I couldn't get it any thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still in :) I'm soooo looking forward to receving them :)
I'm interested in buying one up to now, but maybe two, depending on the price...

Cheer ZIA !! ^^ :cheers

I'm going to have to take my name off of the list. Jango is taking all my money :( Sorry everyone for making it cost more.

I still think you're awesome Zam I Am for all the stuff you've done.

Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for tackling this project again!

I think it is time to upgrade my bodysuit - the color of my leather has faded a bit so if I'm going to be re-coloring the leather, this would be the opportune time to get in on the better fabric!

Is 5 yards enough to make a suit for a size 10 - 12? If so, please put me down as a definite participant.

Thanks!
Kim
email: kknight08 at gmail dot com

p.s. <s>how is the tater tot?</s> Nevermind - I just saw his blog. He's getting so big!

Zam I Am said:
Maulmaus, This list is for the same fabric as what was in the other thread. I couldn't get it any thinner.

Oh no...

Any ideas on how to eliminate the leg and arm wrinkling, anyone with more sewing knowledge than I?

Julie

kimncris said:
Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for tackling this project again!

I think it is time to upgrade my bodysuit - the color of my leather has faded a bit so if I'm going to be re-coloring the leather, this would be the opportune time to get in on the better fabric!

Is 5 yards enough to make a suit for a size 10 - 12? If so, please put me down as a definite participant.

Thanks!
Kim
email: kknight08 at gmail dot com

p.s. <s>how is the tater tot?</s> Nevermind - I just saw his blog. He's getting so big!

Yep. 5 yards is enough, I haven't done any definate calculations, but you'll all definately have enough for a suit with between 5-6 yards worth of material. Size 12 was my size before I was preggers and that's approximately what the seamstress used. Ironically, Tatertot shrunk me down to a size 7. So, nothing of my old Zam outfit actually fits, it's all oversized on me now. Because I have a lot of calculations to make, it causes me to have to give you all estimates right now. The neoprene comes in sheets, not continuous bolts like lycra does. That's why I have such a difficult time with giving you all exact numbers right now. Once I have the interest list settled, I can see who needs what and divide by everyone, all the while making sure everyone has enough for one suit.
I was told Jersey point needle when sewing on a home machine. (A machine that can go through at least denim.) Make sure you have alcohol swabs ready, to take off the glue on your needles during sewing, and don't be intimidated by sheer fustration when sewing, the neoprene thickness has broken at least 5 needles per piece on my seamstress' non-industrial machine. I seriously think that those that have an industrial machine would be better off, that way you don't damage the motor of those lesser strength machines. My seamstress had to get her non-industrial machine fixed twice due to sewing the neoprene.

According to the book "More Fabric Savvy" by Sandra Betzina (pgs. 184-185) under "Wetsuit" aka. Neoprene it lists:

Sewing Tips: Let fabric feed into machine naturally. A roller foot is the answer to sewing on foam-backed fabrics. (I have a built in walker-foot on my machine that also helps with fabric feeding issues.)

Layout: "without nap" layout, single thickness.

Cutting: Large rotary cutter or scissors.

Thread: Nylon.

Needle: 75/11 HS (Image shows "Stretch" needles which is very similar to "Jersey" needles.)

Stitch Length: Tiny zigzag (0.5 mm width, 2.5mm length)

Presser Foot: Roller foot.

Hope that helps..... And yes... always always always have lots of needles handy for every sewing project!

ZIA... Not fair. I was a size 7 before I had my daughter.. no comment on the size afterwards! ;)

MM - It would be nice to zig zag stitch, but if you want accuracy, you can see that none of it was zigzag stitched. Edit** Actually I take that back on the back side when you do the welt seam, i can see using a zig zag.

This is a place where 100% accuracy conflicts with what would probably work best in the real world... IMHO. That small of a zig-zag is barely noticable, but is enough to allow for some "give" in the fit of the costume. I'll need to make some tests on some ends of my fabric, see the differences between straight and slight zig-zag.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to have to do this but I'm going to have to pull out of the fabric run at this time. Too many things getting in the way of this project, I'm afraid. Hopefully, there will be another run in the future and I can jump on.

Thanks!

I'm sorry but I have to remove myself from the fabric run for now. Some things have come up and I won't be able to pay for the fabric.

I apologize for not having replied sooner but I've been very busy and haven't checked the forums sooner. Good luck on your costumes everyone!

Ok dudes and dudettes, list closed. I will be making calculations next week on price, call the manufacturers with real numbers, and post the actual prices and yardage. Please pm me with the following: Your real name, your TDH name,physical address for shipping the fabric, your email address, preferred method of payment (paypal by debit); money order; US check; or Western Union; are the only methods accepted. I don't have paypal by creditcard, because I don't have a business account The amount listed on this thread will not include shipping to you, all of those charges will have to be calculated separately on a per person basis, as we have several people on the list that are from foriegn countries. The cost of shipping to and from the various companies, however, will be incorporated. I will also have to charge shipping insurance on all the fabric. I can't afford the loss like last time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back