Neoprene under suit-second batch?

As long as the public facing side is cool, all is cool. No one will really see the black/blue side so I'm sure it'll be cool.
But.............
I'd go with what you have but try and get a refund/discount. It's nice of you to take this order on so keep mine and buy yourself something nice for all the hassle ;)

Could the blue side be dyed black by us somehow?

Try and 'blag' them by saying it'll cost "you" to have it made black, make up some rubbish about why it MUST be black LOL, and get a partial refund/discount. After all it is what you ordered.

If you ordered a new car and you said you wanted it black and it was blue, what would you do?

You'd kick butt wouldn't you?. Kick butt baby!!!! :)

Was the black color in the original order instructions or was that something that just came into play when the guy apparently was reading the wrong order form? Either way, the color difference doesn't bug me since it's not the visible side, but what did sound bothersome is that ZIA mentioned that they might have lopped 4" worth of material off. It sounds like a partial refund/discount is in order on their part in either case if that cut did happen since that was expensive material they were supplied with.

Thanks for the support 'yall. I am in discussions with them right now about it. Will let you know how it turns out.

Either way, the color difference doesn't bug me since it's not the visible side, but what did sound bothersome is that ZIA mentioned that they might have lopped 4" worth of material off. It sounds like a partial refund/discount is in order on their part in either case if that cut did happen since that was expensive material they were supplied with.

Agreed. It is really the principle..and it doesn't hurt to ask.

We all appreciate your work, ZIA!

Yeah.. that might be the way to go. It would take to long to wait for another batch too. Also, the old batch was blue underneath and I didn't have a problem with it.

Thanks so much for understanding.

As long as the public facing side is cool, all is cool. No one will really see the black/blue side so I'm sure it'll be cool.
But.............
I'd go with what you have but try and get a refund/discount. It's nice of you to take this order on so keep mine and buy yourself something nice for all the hassle ;)

Could the blue side be dyed black by us somehow?

I don't think it could be dyed black without it soaking through the other side and ruin your purple lycra.

Was the black color in the original order instructions or was that something that just came into play when the guy apparently was reading the wrong order form? Either way, the color difference doesn't bug me since it's not the visible side, but what did sound bothersome is that ZIA mentioned that they might have lopped 4" worth of material off. It sounds like a partial refund/discount is in order on their part in either case if that cut did happen since that was expensive material they were supplied with.

The first run was royal blue on the back side, so he assumed it was like the first run several years ago. The 4" trimmed off was the lycra, that I had requested to be made sure to be at a larger width than the neoprene- untrimmed. You all are still getting everything that I had stated earlier though. That's 60" width x 5 yards of custom dyed lycra-neoprene-with nylon backing. The only exception is that the nylon backing is still royal blue like the very first batch years ago (which no one sees.) Would you all be happy if I just sent you all that?
But.............I'd go with what you have but try and get a refund/discount. It's nice of you to take this order on so keep mine and buy yourself something nice for all the hassle ;)
Do all of you guys feel the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. The color of the neoprene doesn't matter, I don't think since it isn't seen. (I had been expecting it to be blue like the 1st run anyway.) Your post had made it sound like things had gone rather wrong and that things were cut off that shouldn't have been etc.

What special requests didn't get followed then since I take it the trimming was supposed to happen? Just the color difference?

Trimming was NOT to happen, The nylon backing color was supposed to be black.

I misread your response to me with the trimming then, my bad.

Hopefully talking with them about those things turns out well. Thanks for all your work with this run and for dealing with them.

Sorry, to clarify, I wanted them to have the lycra at 64" width hanging over the side, over top of the neoprene. Neoprene and nylon were going to be 60" regardless. So why they trimmed the over hanging lycra baffled me. This was even how the old purchase went through; to look like this (measurements in pic are from the old batch);
Fabric.jpg
So, it would have had a 4" overhang or be 2 inches on each side of the nylon, if fabric was centered.

That does sound strange. I wonder why they lopped that off. I guess as long as there's enough to make each suit, then it's all good. The blue underneath is fine too. Nobody sees that anyway.

BUT.. I still think you should tell them you're not happy if they made changes after the agreement, get a refund, and go buy yourself something ;) .. so keep the extra dough for yourself!!!

I don't really care about the backing. Blue is fine. I DO care that the overhang we needed to get the waist of the pants and the bottom of the shirt to look right isn't there now. I don't think the company can use "we misread the order" as an excuse, especially considering the amount of money involved here. I definitely think that, if you can't argue them into starting over at their expense (which, they SHOULD do), then you need to ask for a full refund including the cost of the lycra and take your business somewhere else. If you bought 5 yards of fabric off Ebay and the seller sent you 4 1/2 yards... that's fraud, and you can file a claim or legal proceedings. Why is this situation any different?

Julie

Exactly !!! There is a lot of money involve here, so everything must be like they promised... no more no less, that is why they are getting paid for... dont you think so ?

If I sent you all an extra yard of just plain same colored lycra, would that suffice for the overhang or giving it a nicer "finish"? My seamstress used extra lycra that I purchased and sewed it onto on the edges of the neckline, the bottom of the boddice and the ankle side of the pants (see last pic on page). Now, those parts aren't seen on the actual costume, and, technically, if you just sew the very edge of the tricot, it shouldn't fray like other materials. So, there is no need for a "finished edge." If you see on this page http://www.zamiam.com/ZamIAm/CropTop&Pants.html Technically, the bodice edge isn't sewn over with overhanging lycra. She said she couldn't technically use just the 'overhang', cause of the angled cut on the side.
bodysuit_cuts.jpg
You can see the black showing just a hair. And my seamstress didn't use the overhang to sew the pants top. She said it was nice in theory, but you would have gathering problems during sewing, or it bending funny if you just used the lycra "folded over." She just folded the neoprene over and sewed down because the lycra is so "wrinkly" that it would cause the pants top (if sewn over) not to be even, or possibly bow.
So, you really have to ignore picture #6 on the page. Actually, you can ignore pic #5 also, because that neoprene sample is the wrong density. That's not the thin neoprene you guys have. You can "fold over" the neoprene that was supplied because it has less bulk, but you have to sew it down the welt to keep it flat.

1 2
3 4
5 6

If I sent you all an extra yard of just plain same colored lycra, would that suffice for the overhang or giving it a nicer "finish"?

Don't be silly! If I need extra lycra, I can buy it myself. :)

It's completely up to you how you want to manage your relationship with this company - if, in the interest of future dealings, you aren't comfortable demanding a refund, that is fine with me. However, you shouldn't incur any extra expense fixing their mistake!

K

Oh, after all your posts, I am definitely going to demand something, just want to know what figures I am dealing with before I give them exacting figures of what they owe me or how. There has to be fair accounting for customer satisfaction on my end and your end. I want to make sure that I am straight with you all first too and that you guys are completely satisfied with 60" width x 5 yrds of tricot custom dyed lycra , neoprene, with blue nylon backing. I wanted to make sure and solid, that I in no way mislead you guys with any of the posts, and you will have what you need and there are no change in terms. On my end of course, yes, I do want to continue a working relationship with them just "incase." But moreso, I want to know so that I can start sending out the material and you're 100% satisfied with what you are getting and there is no misinformation from my end on product recieved.

I'm sorry, but the bottom line is that if what was printed in the contract was not adhered to, then it is THEIR mistake and THEY should redo the order to YOUR specifications.

By demanding that they comply with what was agreed to should in no way damage any business relationship...in fact, THEY should be bending over backwards to make YOU happy since its their mistake.

My two cents!

Todd

I'd say at the very least the company should give us a partial refund since THEY messed up on the color of the under fabric. (They should have offered you one on the spot!) I'd insist that they do another run, but I can see where covering the cost of buying new lycra and dying it would be tricky to negotiate. So I can make due with blue since it really isn't seen.

It sounds like we don't really need overhang to make our garment, but we do need scraps of matching lycra to finish off some of the edges of our tops. Since our overhang is now gone, I hope we can get some extra matching purple lycra from ZamIAm. Then I'll be satisfied.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back