Boba Fett Knee Armor Draft Blueprints

wizardofflight

Well-Known Hunter
Hello,

I final got a round to researching and blueprinting Boba Fett’s knee armor take a look and let me know what you think. I was surprised to find that the knee armor is not symmetrical not only are the dart launchers different, but the basic shape is also different.

I am also working on a set of flat patterns templates. I am testing out the patterns. I have cut out a set from ABS to see how well the templates work out. Once I have worked out the bugs I post the templates. I am planning on tackling Jango’s knee armor next.

Alan

P.S. Added some smaller sizes for the knee armor.

Attachments

• BF Knee Armor 4W.pdf
    195.4 KB · Views: 15,241
  • BF Knee Armor 3-5W.pdf
    203.1 KB · Views: 9,145
  • BF Knee Armor 4-5W Std.pdf
    199.5 KB · Views: 9,286
Last edited by a moderator:
sweet, with the way your jet pack plans are working out for me, i can't wait til you finish these and work all the glitches out

thank you very much

-=QuinN!

Wizardofflight, I have to commend you on the beautiful blueprints you've been providing lately. I've been wanting to scratch-build a jet pack for a while now, and between your and Lisa Fett's tutorials and templates it sure looks easier to go ahead with. (A big thanks to Lisa Fett as well!) I may be posting for the first time here, but I've been popping in for a few months researching the old posts and learning the ropes, so to speak. I've always preferred to hang around a while and learn something before jumping right in (less headaches that way). So again, thanks to both of you. Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys, I finished shaping the jig block last night and cutting out some of the final pieces. Now it's time to start heat forming the ABS, now won't that be fun.

hansoloway said:
Nothing in the Star Wars univers is symmetrical (except the ROTS Vader helmet:facepalm ).

I know what you mean, Hollywood is not real concerned about that level of detail, but I kind of expected them to be close.

I so much wanted that desktop CNC machine that they were using to shpe the ROTS Vader mask.
Alan

Hello,

Here are the knee armor parts and the forming jig:

BFKneeparts.jpg

I have already started heat forming the parts and should have an update this weekend once I get all of the pieces bent to the proper shape.

It took a couple of hours last night messing around with the parts in the oven to find the correct temperature, at 325°F the parts are just soft enough to form, but they cool off fast. Not much working time. Ended up putting the entire form in the oven to extend the working time.

Alan

Here are the results so far:
Knee_Armor_parts.jpg

Knee_caps_2.jpg

The kneecaps are made from two pieces with epoxy putty back filling and some sanding.

Alan

Hello,

Well, I decided to try a different approach. I wasn’t total happy with the using the epoxy putty idea so I went back to the drawing board to redesign the patterns so the kneecap is now made with 3 pieces with no epoxy putty.

Here are a couple of pic’s of the new kneecaps that I put together tonight. The new patterns worked out better than I hoped with only minor sanding required to fit the pieces.

Alan

Knee_Armor_Cap_Rev_A.jpg

Knee_Armor_Frt_Rev_A.jpg

I should have an update in a day or so. Last night I sanded the kneecaps to a nice rounded contour and added some JB Weld to the backside of the knee cap to strengthen the seams of the curved area and I started assembling the side pieces. Forgot it takes 24 hours for JB Weld to completely set-up so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped.

I need to set up the drill press so I can counter bore the blocks for the dart launchers, plus I still need to mock up the dart launchers.

The templates have been updated with all the latest changes and if all goes well I'll be posting them this weekend.

I made my dart launcher blocks out of wood, but they could easily be built up out of layers of plastic and then sanded to the proper shape.

Sintra should be an excellent material for use with these templates, it certainly has to easier to shape than ABS.

Stay tuned more to come.

Alan

Well I’m nearly finished the first Knee Armor build up from my flat patterns. They still need some clean up an a little bondo. Next comes the battle damage, dents and the dart launchers. I’ll post the patterns soon, promise.

Take a look and let me know what you all think.

Alan

WOF_Knee_Armor_1.jpg

WOF_Knee_Armor_2.jpg

WOF_Knee_Armor_3.jpg

Hello all,

Here is the first draft of the flat patterns for Boba’s knee armor. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I have tried to include as much information as possible on these patterns, but I haven’t gotten to the directions yet so if you have any questions about assembling these just yet me know.

This knee armor can be made from any type of plastic that can be heat formed. The ones in the thread above were made out of 0.080” ABS a bit hard to work with. Sintra should work well since there is no built in compound curves also standard styrene should work as well. Besides glue you will need Bondo to fill the seams and a lot of sanding. The dart blocks can be made from either wood, which is what I used or 1/8” layers of Sintra, I have included a set of patterns for this purpose.

I will be developing a full-blown pictorial tutorial, which will require building a second set of knee armor. I learned a lot with the first set so the second should be a bit easier.

Feedback is always welcome. Let me know how yours turn out.

Alan

P.S. This is an overall view of the patterns, the zip file contains the full size patterns that are design to fit my knees with a spacing of 4 ¼”, but they can be scaled to fit anyone. PM me with your size and I'll figure out the proper scale for you.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofflight/BF_Knee_Armor_sht_4.zip

BF_Knee_Armor_flat_patterns.gif

WOW,
Very nice :D All of your templates are killer and they fit together perfect. Your backplate template worked out awesome for me as well.

(y) (y) (y) Thanks!!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back