Jango Britt: A Project log

NOITAIDAR

Hunter
Hi guys, I've made a few appearances here asking questions, and looking for stuff to buy. I've almost got everything together, so I thought I'd give it a start. I thought I'd share with you all my progress. Hopefully, this will be quite a picture intensive log, so bear with me.

I know a lot of people don't want you to criticise projects, but in my case, please do. I really want to make this good first time round, and I don't mind a bit of extra work. I love criticism, especially negative criticism, as it helps me to know what I've done wrong, or could do better next time. I honestly think all kinds of criticism help with a project, so flame on.

I started with a pair of Rubies Blasters. I bought them off e-bay for about $20 (£11)

I sanded off all the raised text, sanded off the fake screws and replaced with old screw heads, filled all the gaps and sanded to perfection, removed the battery cover screws and blocks, removed the orange caps, and cut off the ledge that held them, and finally scratch built a trigger guard for the right blaster. I then primed them, and after a few trials, got them how I wanted them.

I sprayed the inside barrel part, and muzzle rim gold, and rub-n-buffed the rest. Just how shiny can you get rub-n-buff?

blaster_right.jpg

blasters_outside.jpg

blasters_inside.jpg

Still waiting on my friend's dremel tool so I can start work on the fiberglass JD armour (Thank you, sir)

I'm also still short of a set of gauntlets (trying to get a hold of Man of War), gloves (large) Jet Pack, and jumpsuit(large-XL). If anyone knows of some going, please let me know.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on my boots at the moment. Bought a pair of size 10s from Reinone. Very nice boots, a size too small, but they still fit me.

boot_left_1.jpg

I tried rub-n-buffing the sides of the sole, and it ended up looking a bit like bantha poodoo.

boot_right_1.jpg

You can see from the closeup here, that even though I masked the sides, my clumsy fingers messed it up, and got rub-n-buff all over it.

boot_right_detail1.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning it off? do white spirits work? Or should I just try to polish black over it?

Adam

NOITAIDAR said:
Working on my boots at the moment. Bought a pair of size 10s from Reinone. Very nice boots, a size too small, but they still fit me.

boot_left_1.jpg

I tried rub-n-buffing the sides of the sole, and it ended up looking a bit like bantha poodoo.

boot_right_1.jpg

You can see from the closeup here, that even though I masked the sides, my clumsy fingers messed it up, and got rub-n-buff all over it.

boot_right_detail1.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning it off? do white spirits work? Or should I just try to polish black over it?

Adam

like any boots....Kiwi / shoe polish should do fine..

I love the blasters....looks like i got to rework mine....

Have you ever thought to trying to use aluminum duct tape? I cant remeber the exact name of it, but Im sure you would find it at any Hardware store. Its an alluminum tape and I think it will achieve the look you are trying to achieve.

yeah...rolls and rolls of masking / duct tape that shines like the regular aluminium foil..should not be hard to get..

but i settled for paint on mine... :lol:

possibly Bare Metal Foil?

Anyway, so I touched up the boots using white spirits and a Q-Tip, and they look fantastic. No point posting a pic here, because its not easy to see the difference in a picture.

However... I finished the helmet today, here are some progress pics:
First, light blue coat
helm_paint_1.jpg

Second, Dark Blue Coat
helm_paint_2.jpg

Third, Rub-n-buff Coat
helm_paint_final.jpg

Adam

After a rather lengthy break, I've started doing some more work on jango. Finally cut out all my fiberglass pieces, and persuaded my mother to start making the vest for me.

Today I went shopping, and bought a BMX bike helmet, and ripped out all the pads. I also stopped by the local motorcycle shop and picked up some Bob Heath Anti-Fog spray, which works a treat on my visor.

I also found an old headset that had been chewed by my dog, and cast aside into the spares box, so ripped off the ear-pieces, and mic, and fastened to the inside of my bucket. This also helps to secure the helmet to my head so it doesn't fall off when I'm flying upside down on my jet pack :jet pack. I also wired in a cheap n cheerful noise filter, using a 2.2kOhm resistor, and 10v capacitor that I ripped off yet another dead headset.

helm_interior1.jpg

helm_interior2.jpg

helm_interior_chip_sound.jpg

The Headphones and pads give the helmet a nice snug, but very comfortable fit. (As approved by Ma Fett)
Ma_Fett.jpg

I ordered some mini fans from RS, and hopefully those will arrive tomorrow, and I'll then wire those on to the board, with a switch... I've got 2 fans, 2 9v battery holders, but only 1 switch... still deciding how I want to wire those in.

Time to warm up the old elbow grease, and start wet sanding the other plates

i think your helmet falling off would be the least of your worries flying upside down w/ a jetbpack..pretty sure it would shoot u into the ground my man...just stay upright w/ the jet pack...lookin good

Everything's looking nice. Keep up the good work. I have to say, though, that I used rub n' buff on my soles and they turned out great. I think you might have put yours on too thick. I keep seeing people here posting about bad experiences with this stuff. I little tiny bit goes a very long way. And you have to use a lot of friction to seal it in. Those would be my two gospel truths about rub n' buff.

For my soles I taped off the parts so I didn't go over the lines. I opened up the tube of rub n' buff and just barely touched my finger to the opening, just enough to get some color. Then I rubbed it on until it sealed. Presto! If it's not enough, then simply repeat the process. This stuff blends so don't worry about not using enough. Like I've said in other posts, I rub n' buffed all my armor, even the gauntlets.

You can check this thread out if you want to see how some of my stuff turned out. Scroll down to post #33 for a list of all my parts and close-ups, including my boots.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=7036

Thanks for the tip, Skalen Fel.

I decided to have another go at the helmet, and with zxwing's constant cheerleading, I managed to get it acceptable

helm1.jpg

helm2.jpg

helm3.jpg

Its hard to see the shinyness because the room is a little dark, but I can see the TV clearly through it

Here's the completed electronics. Mic and Headphone jacks on the left side, and fan switch on the right.
helm_interior3.jpg

Next, I rub n buffed my chest pieces. I cut the diamond out completely, and added a plasticard backing, and replacement center square.
chest_diamond.jpg

chest.jpg

For a Jet Pack Harness, I'm using a British Army PLCE Bergen Daysack Yolk, and I've cut and stitched a few new straps for holding the jet pack in place (through the vest, and back pieces)

harness.jpg

Hopefully once my shiny new jet pack arrives, It'll hook up nicely.

With the help of Ma Fett, and her magic sewing machine, we completed my vest. Its cut in one piece, with velcro up the left side. Ma Fett decided to stich two Darts up the back (will be covered by back plate), to help form the vest to my size. Also some darts just inside of the armpits, to fit to my uh... man breasts (again, hidden under the chest plates) :lol:

vest_back.jpg

vest_front.jpg

vest_shoulder.jpg

Anyone got any gauntlets for sale?

-Adam

Going slowly at the moment, as i'm waiting for my jet pack to arrive. Finally bought some gauntlets from Ruffkintoy, looking forward to their arrival too.

I'm still in need of a Jumpsuit, and Knee darts, but I haven't heard back from Bobamaker yet. Also, still need some gloves. I don't think we have a Nordstrum Rack over here, but I'm keeping my eye out for a set of blueish purplish leather gloves. hehe.

Finally got all my helmet electronics sorted out. After a double catastrophe of my Mic Jack pulling out of the board (happened twice) I got some new jacks with longer legs, and a new board with a more straightforward pattern.

I also wired in a pressel switch that I can have sticking out of my gauntlet.

My audio devices arrived the other day, and I tested them out this morning. perfect sound:

The amp doesn't have any modulation, but I figure it works ok.

Out: VoiceCare Personal Voice Amplifier

In: Bionic Ear

audio_equipment.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back