Moveable RF (servo thingy)

BobaN00b

Active Hunter
Plain and simple, I want to know how to put a servo thingy in my bucket so the RF moves up and down by itself. I have read a few tutorials, but all they did was leave me confused as they weren't very good. I need a materials list and a how to, step by step guide.

in return, i will name someones kid after you. not my kids. i already named them and had a vasectomy. But i will just, you know, pick a kid out at random and give them your tdh name. ;)

BobaN00b said:
in return, i will name someones kid after you. not my kids. i already named them and had a vasectomy. But i will just, you know, pick a kid out at random and give them your tdh name. ;)

:lol: You crack me up.

I tried to figure it out too, with little success, so I broke down and bought a hyperdyne servo kit. I have not got it installed yet, but it on my TO DO list.

Now don't take this as gospel, but what I did learn was that the servo is essentialy a little motor with some internal gears and a controllable output position. However, a servo alone, will do nothing. You also need a control board. The control board creates a pulse at a certain frequency, and the timing and durration of that pulse is what gives the servo its instructions to move. Then to signal the control board you need a manual hard wired switch or trasmitter/receiver connnected to the control board. The actuation of the switch signals the control board to trasmit the pulse to the servo, and presto, you have a movable RF. I hope! :facepalm

I think Jango_Fett_Jr was able to get his RF to work by canabilizing a remote control car / controller to get the transmitter, receiver and control board. I tried this too, but after destroying two cars, I gave up and got the kit.

Hope this helps.

Gator

I think krillindb also had a rock-solid tutorial up, but I'm not sure if it's still available. The setup seemed pretty simple, and best of all, VERY inexpensive.

If you have the cash, contact hyperdyne for one of his systems; comes either as a radio-controlled unit, or voice-activated.

When I had hyperdyne's setup, I Velcro-ed the remote transmitter to the inside (left side) stock of my rifle. In a standard Fett pose, I could manipulate the servo with my thumb. It really freaked people out!

I used krillindb's Tutorial (Thanks krillindb). It was pretty straightforward but make sure your servo motor can lift the weight of your RF...I had a sold resin RF and I had to drill out the center to make it lighter. I keep the remote in one of my pokets, it is one of the best features of a Fett costume. People freek out when they see you dressed up and then TOTALLY freek out when your range finder goes up and down.....you can also hear the motor noise and it's awesome.....

Thanks again krillindb!
J-ROCK

Eric (Batninja), do you have the one that's remote-controlled from Hyperdyne?

I have one that I got from Bobafettish last year or more, but I've never got the chance to install it, though.....does it takes a while for the RF to come down and up? I mean, is it kinda slow on yours (i.e. like 3 seconds or more to move from the up to down position and viceversa)?

Robert

There are numerous threads about this, so I picked this one to add to...

I read the Krillindb tutorial, and it's very helpful. However, what it doesn't show is how to connect the servo to the RF base inside the helmet. Does anyone have pictures, or can explain how it's mounted inside? Also, am I understanding correctly that the zipzap part is to make a radio controlled method? If so, what transmitter do you need/ I know its been asked, but is there a "best" servo to use? Looking through servocity, I see "micro-servoes" these would seem to be the most compact. (And affordable) Any help and input would be most welcome! Thanks!

Shinobi

I will try to break it down.

Shinobi_Fett said:
I know its been asked, but is there a "best" servo to use? Looking through servocity, I see "micro-servoes" these would seem to be the most compact
This is the servo that came with my hyperdyne kit:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...1P?Q=1&I=LXN620

It would probably be your best choice.

Shinobi_Fett said:
I read the Krillindb tutorial, and it's very helpful. However, what it doesn't show is how to connect the servo to the RF base inside the helmet. Does anyone have pictures, or can explain how it's mounted inside?
I dont have a picture of my set up, but I will try to explain what I did. I took on of the servo "horns" that came with my servo, cut off the plastic "arms", and epoxied the center hub to the inside face of my RF stalk. (a servo "horn" is any one of the white plastic pieces in this picture. including the circle mounted to the servo.)

hrcm1097.jpg

The center hub of the horn is held on to the servo by a small screw. The hub also has internal teeth that mesh with external teeth on the servo output shaft.

Shinobi_Fett said:
Also, am I understanding correctly that the zipzap part is to make a radio controlled method? If so, what transmitter do you need?
The transmitter and receiver both come with the zipzap car. The transmitter is the controller that you hold to drive the car. And the receiver is the circuit board in the car itself. The receiver circuit board in the car gets connected to the servo motor to control the RF.

Hope this helps.
Gator

OK, I thi8nk I get the idea of how to connect it. Though I have a DP 97, 98? which the inside is smooth. I can attach a bolt through the stalk base hole and attach that to the servo. OK, next question. The zip-zap transmitter is a big bulky hand helf thing. Does anyone have pictures of what guts to rip out of that? I think I want to put the transmitter board into my right gauntlet. And again, if anyone has pics of what the inside of their bucket looks like with the thing mounted, that would be smashing! Thankss guys!

Shinobi

The helmet im working on now I want to trick out. So Pics would be nice b/c I dont have a clue. Gator I might have to PM you with some questions about that hyperdyne kit you got.

Well, folks... I did some scavenging this weekend, and I happened to dig out a micro servo out of my uncle's garage! He makes model steam engines, and happened to have this lying around! Score for me! Now with the zip-zap car I have, we're nearly in business!!! I do have a queastion though... I see a lot of people ut fans in their helmets. Is this neccessary for the servo or rc board not to overheat, or merely a comfort issue? Without further ado, here's my servo. Think this will do just fine?

servo.jpg

Nice score! Most important thing, make sure it fits in your helemt with your head in there, and make sure it can lift the weight of the rangefinder and stalk.
Most people use fans simply to keep cool, the board and servo won't be overheating at all.

It's hard to tell... I have to figure out the logistics. If It sticks straight out, I do not know that it will fit. I have to put my visor in place when I finalize the paint job. If I can mount it on its side, then the "horn" won't face the right direction... sticking striaght out, it might not fit... Also, I have to figure out a liner, or paddding to keep it on my noggin' without spinning...

I have been PM'ed a few times about my servo, but I thought it would be best to post the pics in a thread.

I have the Hypedyne remote control RF kit. All the electronics and the two 9v batteries fit inside my helmet. The RF stalk has a servo horn epoxied to the piviot hole and secured with a screw. The servo horn on the RF stalk fits through the helmet ear and onto the servo output shaft. I hot melt glued the remote transmitter to my blaster grip, and can control the RF with my thumb. In a standard Fett pose, I can press the button with out anyone knowing how I made the RF move.

Fire away with the questions, and I will answer them if I can.

Gator

GatorServo01.jpg

GatorServo02.jpg

GatorServo03.jpg

GatorServo04.jpg

GatorServo05.jpg

GatorServo06.jpg

GatorServo07.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back