Rubies helmet

iammorbid

New Hunter
Got my ebay Jango helmet today. Ended up being a very chepo Rubies helmet :cry . Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to fix the gap between the seams? It is the two piece helmet :p . Hope I can fix it. It wasn't too expensive, but still.

Hi, try this perhaps? First tape off the outer part of the "dome" and then use regular liquid nails on the inside of the "dome". Clean up the interior of the bucket. Then you might try applying some paintable caulk on the outside of the dome. Then after that, kinda doodle around with the "ear" pieces and the range finder.

I helped a friend start his Rubies bucket a little while ago, I have used liquid nails before on other things and they worked out; the paintable caulk - I haven't quite gotten that far. Just a suggestion.

Nate

hey is this the helmet where the guy had it listed as boba fett at first? i bid on it but then realized it look like a rubies, and a lil small,i think it had a paint job tho

No I don't think so. He just said it was a Jango helmet. Wish he had said it was a Rubies. The pic shown is different from what I got. Am not happy.

I ran across some window maker gel in a model kit and am using that. If that doesn't work I will try the liquid nails trick. Thank you.

iammorbid said:
Got my ebay Jango helmet today. Ended up being a very chepo Rubies helmet :cry . Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to fix the gap between the seams? It is the two piece helmet :p . Hope I can fix it. It wasn't too expensive, but still.
mine is a two piece too and im going to be making it a solid reinforced one piece!

with yrs of auto body, this is the tools i will use....

1.bondo brand fiberglass resin: you can pick up at auto zone in a kit!
"not silicone or liquid nails<expands and contracts makes your paint crack!"

2.fibreglass sheet< comes in kit

3.tape

4.wet or dry sand paper by 3M: 220 grit 400 grit "variety pack"

application:
1:remove all paint out side
2.scuff inside very well<scotch brite pad will work, 220 grit sandpaper is best
3.tape seem on out side of bucket
4.get your kit and follow all directions!! gloves!!! put them on!
5.use the popsicle stick to fill the crack from the bottom <amount of hardener used will determin how fast it drys<i would use a seperate batch or have a blower ready for quick drying.
6.dip fiberglass strips and start laying and forming along split.
7.let dry tack, repeat
8.remove tape. crack should be filled however these helmets have indentions on them theat will need filler<glass
9.if seam is not completly filled apply fiber glass puddy to outer, fill, sand, prep for paint.

"the chrome paint is very popular among motorcycle helmets and the thread here on TDH is the best i have seen so far!!!"

pics to follow soon

Last edited by a moderator:
VISUAL OF EXPLAINED ABOVE, PICS OUT OF ORDER :confused

AS YOU CAN SEE THE RUBIES HAS SOME INDENTIONS ON OUTER SHELL THAT WILL NEED TO BE FILLED, AND THE FIBERGLASS IS GOING TO BE THROUGH OUT THE INTIRE INSIDE...THIS IS JUST SOME PROGRESS PICS.

KEEP IN MIND TO USE FIBERGLASS RESIN IN A WELL VENTALATED AREA!

Picture 623.jpg

DSC01505.JPG

Jangobobbafett said:
looks good did u try using wood filler an the sand it down

IT EXPANDS SO I WILL NOT USE IT, PLUS THIS IS NOT WOOD.
THERE IS A RESIN SEEM THAT FILLS THE CRACK, THIS IS GOING TO NEED SOME FILLER ON THE TOP TO FILL THE INDENTIONS FROM THE MOLDING.

PICS ARE OF SANDED BUCKET AND TAPE ON OUTTER

DSC01497.JPG

DSC01499.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back