Marrow Sun Painted Helmet !!!!!!

Jeeze ppl, I wasnt looking for a verbal scolding here, I am, like all new members starting a new costume, going on what I was told/read/or saw first hand. Im sure Im not the only one in the forum whom has received something not quite what you expected, especially online. Still either way, its what I have, my only concern now is wether I can get into a decent trooping helmet. So sorry for being naive on this, but with all of your guidance, I can get better.

Well, here are the pics I was talking about

Here it lays next to a 3.5 inch floppy in all its tilted glory
dsc01219jc0.jpg

dsc01220ev0.jpg

Lots of notes and scribbles all over it. saying add here, flatten there, remove curve ect.
dsc01221hf8.jpg

The diamonds on the brow are uneven and you can see the huge void in the visor opening to the right of the pic (possibly a recast of of a MSH?)
dsc01222qp2.jpg

No serial anywhere inside, lots of clean up needed in here.
dsc01223uw3.jpg

Me wearing it dont laugh:lol:
dsc01224kq8.jpg

Even with my small button nose, Im nearly touching the front of the mandibles.
dsc01226ge2.jpg

There are notes all over the mask, saying add 1/8 inch here, or add 1/4 there. So its obvoiusly needing to be lengthened.
dsc01227ve8.jpg

Ok, now that you see my 30 dollar helmet, what do you think? I know it needs alot of work, but is it right, for the size? I see lots of helmets that the faces are small inside, like the paris expo. ECT, where Im basically filing mine up.

I was told by the person I bought it from that it was the "original mystery helmet" And that it was a marrow sun helmet. On a positive note, I dropped it while I was working on it, and not even so much a scratch resulted. Ill give it one thing, its darn near bullet proof, I think the glass is somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 thick in most areas.

If this in fact some sort of recast, off of a marrow sun, I apologize for saying bad things about them, as I said I was going off of what I was told, so I was only going off of it. Again, my first fett, so Im trying to figure out what to do now! Given my extremely limited budget, its what I have to work with, So I may use WOF's templates and mock up helmet to see what the size/dimension differences are, and make them correct (if possible)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is definitely NOT a Marrow_Sun helmet, so you were given false information. As I recall, MS numbers and initials all his production helmets, so unless yours is marked as such, you don't own one.

I think the guys were a little harsh because a) you opened a 'dead thread' to b) bash a highly respected member's work. It happens, so don't take it personally. Just remember to check the post date before you resurrect old threads.

To me, the helmet you have appears to be a casting of a Don Post '95, which is ALOT smaller than the Mystery Helmet.

If you want to upgrade to an actual Mystery Helmet, contact MS or SgtFang directly, so that you know what you're getting.

As for the helmet you have, yes, there will be quite a bit of work involved, but it can be made into a nice display piece with some patience and hard work. Good luck!

Agree with Batninja. That is not an original Marrow Sun. But for $30, it's a lot better than some of the "ebay mystery" helmets I've seen.

Let me weigh in guys. Yea, I guess you got dog-piled here so probably best to start your own thread next time. I'll bet my bucket that this cast or recast is every bit of MarrowSun/Sgt Fang/Lava origin.

The mis-matched triangles are a "mystery" signature. Their shape is good, but they are mal-alligned indicating a cast that was halfed together vice ear-to-ear seam lines like MS and SF make.

Then there is the bottoms of the ear moldings. The upward cant of the corners are also unique to this cast.

Then you have the the dent in the right mandible at the level of the cheek mole (borden connector) -- also unique to the mystery line.

The cheek corners are round, common to all 1st-gen mystery models.

The bottom of the left cheek (the bottom edge) is bowed out just a tad instead of straight...just like the MS and SF.

The underside view shows a little bit of the asymetry around the back sides common to mystery helmets as well.

The last arguement I have for the MS1/SgtFang is the dome shape that is gives a taller appearance since it squares off above the left ear and doesn't pull away from the right ear cap enough. The side view is spot-on, but the frontal view of mystery helmets always have this dome irregularity (best seen in the last picture looking face-on).

While MS might have numbered all of his MS2s and MS3s, I can say for certainty that my MS1 (circa 2005) is not numbered at all (sorry batninja) and if this helmet came from MS, it is already certain to be an MS1 based on the ears and dome alone.

However, the dent does look a little weak, even for an MS or SF, so maybe it is a recast. Or someone piled on a lot of paint and primer (chrome layers can build up fast and distort fine details). Also, the left ear looks like something bad happened to it, so that'll take some work to fix that melty concavity.

In any case, I think that helmet is perfectly ok and, much like batninja said, any mystery helmet in the right hands can come out great!

Image5asa.jpg

Thank you ss,

Youve explained alot, I didnt mean to high jack an old thread, I looked for something wih the same topic to reply to.

I am a composite technition for the US Navy, and this is more time than effort for me, So I figure while Im roaming the seas, Ill work on this and possibly make a WOF designs one as well.

I am concerned on wether this size wise will ever make a decent jango helmet though. It may be a movie trick, but the jango seems alot larger to me. Then again I am 6'2" tall at 200 lbs. Maybe Im just too big for IT :)

Oh the dent is weak because Ive been working on it, and sanded it down some.

Well, that is definitely NOT a Marrow_Sun helmet, so you were given false information. As I recall, MS numbers and initials all his production helmets, so unless yours is marked as such, you don't own one.

I think the guys were a little harsh because a) you opened a 'dead thread' to b) bash a highly respected member's work. It happens, so don't take it personally. Just remember to check the post date before you resurrect old threads.

To me, the helmet you have appears to be a casting of a Don Post '95, which is ALOT smaller than the Mystery Helmet.

If you want to upgrade to an actual Mystery Helmet, contact MS or SgtFang directly, so that you know what you're getting.

As for the helmet you have, yes, there will be quite a bit of work involved, but it can be made into a nice display piece with some patience and hard work. Good luck!

What Batninja said.;) And I apologize for being harsh.

No problem,

I could use any link or resources you guys are willing to share on measurements to get this lil buger correct. I am at least going to try and make this a jango. But if its just not feasible, It wil turn into a long boba project. When it comes to accuracy, I can get pretty rediculous. And that paint job wil probably take me a year or more with my schedule.

BTW, would a rubies Jango be a decent gauge to use, to get all the ridges, and overall size correct? Like say if I nabbed a cheap rubies off of ebay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered keeping your mystery helmet for a future Boba project you could display and buying a BKBT bucket for your Jango? PM me if you don't know who BKBT is and I'll let you know(he's supposed to make a very nice Jango).

I just nabbed a marrow sun helmet, in raw unpainted condition. Lets just say I knew what I was getting, and Although Im glad to have a helmet I can start on, the craftmanship, was far lower than I expected.

I have alot of work to do!

Hey Darth Malevelus, if you just nabbed this helmet I highly doubt its one of mine since I havn't produced that style of helmet in years nor have I sold anything in months. Also I wouldn't let anything that POOR quality out unless a buyer was looking for a deal on a "Seconds" casting. You can feel free to PM me on who supplied you with this helmet. Perhaps it came from my "Graveyard" years ago. Otherwise I think you've been decieved into buying a recast of a MS helmet.

AND THIRD and MOST IMPORTANT! DARTH MILLER! Give Me BACK MY HELMET......I Miss Her:cry

Ahh... my first post in months.... feels good(y)

I am concerned on wether this size wise will ever make a decent jango helmet though. It may be a movie trick, but the jango seems alot larger to me.

I've seen SEEKER's Jango helmet (which is from the casting of the movie Jango mold that FP has) right next to his Boba helmet and the Jango helmet IS smaller in size than the "movie sized" Boba helmets are.

Welcome back Marrow Sun!!! "code name Jordy"...... :D Good to see you around again.

Well I've seen a ton of MS1 from Marrow Sun in my day....
And I could tell as soon as you posted this that this was a RECAST of an MS1....but as others have said, with love and allot of prep you can get a good finished product....good luck.(y)

And it's GOOD to see you post again Jordy!!....I miss your "fiberglass" MS1 helmets...;) . I still want one....(y)

Hey Darth Malevelus, if you just nabbed this helmet I highly doubt its one of mine since I havn't produced that style of helmet in years nor have I sold anything in months. Also I wouldn't let anything that POOR quality out unless a buyer was looking for a deal on a "Seconds" casting. You can feel free to PM me on who supplied you with this helmet. Perhaps it came from my "Graveyard" years ago. Otherwise I think you've been decieved into buying a recast of a MS helmet.

AND THIRD and MOST IMPORTANT! DARTH MILLER! Give Me BACK MY HELMET......I Miss Her:cry

Speak of the Devil:lol: Welcome back;)

MS...for a SMALL FEE you can have your helmet back :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back