Star Wars Costume Exhibit: Zam???

I found out about it in WESTWAYS (triple A magazine) in the back just a little paragraph on it. I am sure it will be mentioned in the L.A. Times.

I dont' think it is as big as the MOM exhibit. I called FIDM and they havne't gotten to many calls about it yet.

Danielle

It may not turn out to be as popular as MOM, but in my book its a bigger deal. 160 SW costumes on display AND you're allowed to take pictures!

Y'all are gonna make me crazy wanting to go to this!!!!! ;)

hmmmmm........ I wonder if you can still sell kidneys on ebay???? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make some gauntlets MonCal! I guarantee you some money then! ;) :D

I for one can't wait!!! They may need security to drag me out kicking and screaming! ;)

4325087428138.jpg

No flash, and stuck under a yellow light. :/ Unfortunately, Zam will be shipped to New York soon, (I don't think the costume is staying the entire time the exhibit is open, but I could be wrong. Hopefully Res'll correct me..) and taken off the mannequin for the first time in eight years.

160 SW costumes on display AND you're allowed to take pictures!

Technically. They include weapons and helmets as "costumes." There are no Imp. outfits aside from two officers stuck in dark corners and AOTC Chancellor's (Royal) Guards. They /do/ have the Imperial helmets though, among others. Most of the outfits are from the Preq's, with maybe eight or so from the OT.

It was definetly neat to get to work one of the gala opening weekend days at the FIDM exhibit and get to see things early and without a crowd. (Though the lack of crowd of staff and FIDM students/family was probably due to the fact that many of the roads around that building were closed off because of a marathon going down grand street that made it a real hassle to get into FIDM.)

It was great to see that many costumes in person. But, yeah, the lighting in most of the exhibit really stunk. Hopefully they'll fix it so it's not just the Padme's in one section that get all the lighting.

With the gala opening done with now, some of the costumes are being taken off the mannequins, including Zam, and shipped off for a week or so for a show in New York, like Svoor said, but they'll be back for the public opening. The staff and such say they'll be back by then anyway. Hope nothing happens to anything on the show runway. This show is the cause for the fact that the public opening of the exhibit was delayed apparently.

Really wish that there had been some OT Imperial costumes there aside from just the TIE, scout, gunner and Stormtrooper helmets. Or more OT costumes in general really. :/ Those who would really like to see a bunch of Padme costumes up close will probably have a ball though as there were quite a few of those there.

Cool!!! Thanks so much for sharing the pic Svoor! And for the info Resilient! I really can't wait to see this exhibit!

Since Padme is the one who had most of the costumes in the prequels... I guess we should expect the same for the exhibit! :/ It's a Padme-centric universe I think! ;)

Resilient said:
With the gala opening done with now, some of the costumes are being taken off the mannequins, including Zam, and shipped off for a week or so for a show in New York, like Svoor said, but they'll be back for the public opening. The staff and such say they'll be back by then anyway. Hope nothing happens to anything on the show runway. This show is the cause for the fact that the public opening of the exhibit was delayed apparently.

Resilient YOU GOTTA tell me when it's going to be up in NY! That way, I won't have to spend bucu bucks to goto Cali... Granted, I really really really want to meet up with all the Zammers too, but not having a day job anymore to be a mom, is breaking my bank. But, if it's near Brooklyn, I can totally be there!

Doh! no glass to lick! Hahaha! I am sooooo jealous right now. Can anyone just take major pics of the gauntlets right now? It would totally help out so much. Even if they flew it to NY, they would put it behind glass, that's how they treated the costumes last time at the exhibit therein NY. ARghghg! Sigh... Either way, I still don't want to fly out to CA just to find out that it's in NY the week I am there. Drooool...
What the heck is a Zameltoe? Zamel? Camel? what? stop pulling my toe...

Somebody, just take out a ruler and measure the bottom square and top square of her skirt!

zam,
I shall endeavor to do my best to fulfill your wishes. I shall return within the next few weeks.
I , of course,will be going to document the Boba. The Zam is right next to it.
I said that it's within arm's reach. I didn't say you were ALLOWED to touch.
naturally i did touch the boba :D
I'm so bad.

Zam I Am said:
Resilient YOU GOTTA tell me when it's going to be up in NY! That way, I won't have to spend bucu bucks to goto Cali... Granted, I really really really want to meet up with all the Zammers too, but not having a day job anymore to be a mom, is breaking my bank. But, if it's near Brooklyn, I can totally be there!

It's not going to be in an exhibit there in NY; just on the runway as part of a Star Wars segment during the NY fashion week (which is this week) from what I understand.

Resilient said:
It's not going to be in an exhibit there in NY; just on the runway as part of a Star Wars segment during the NY fashion week (which is this week) from what I understand.
Do you know if it's going to be there this week and next week? I will be in New Jersey next week and could stop by the fashion show. mebbe??? Details Details! LOL we are die hards here... heck that would be even more cool if I got to sit in on a Fashion Show with Trisha talking about costume details.

Resilient said:
The show is this thursday. Here's an article about it http://wwd.com/issue/article/101237?page=0

I missed the NY show already, I think was on the runway yesterday. It wasn't just on a mannequinne. Media only event.I didn't read the whole article, but I think that's what it said. Arghghg! FIDM emailed me and said Zam is back in CA on the 19th of Sept. Still considering CA. Dag nabbit.

That's an unfortunate series of events, and I can see why you’re a little irritated, but you’re putting your own financial and maternal responsibilities first and that's an admirably good thing to put first. :)

Since I’m local, I'll be sure to attend the event in a week or so and bring my satchel with ibook and digital camera along so I can take plenty of high resolution pics for the Boba's, Jango's and of course Zammers out there who can’t come.

And anything else in between that I can photograph. It’s the least I can do to repay the awesome people on these boards. (y)

Make sure you bring a camera that either has something like a museum setting or one that you can change the shutter speed on. Because without that the fact that they have a no-flash/tripod rule and low yellow lighting in most places, your pictures will mostly be a blur fest. That is, unless you have a really steady hand or are lucky with your default camera settings.

Sure thing, I anticipated something like that would occur, I'm going to be there for at least half the day next Saturday and I’m pretty familiar with adjustments in low lighting situations and it's a pretty great digital camera so I'm not too worried about blurs it’s all about patience. ;)

I'll be uploading them to my ibook on the spot so I can preview the pics before I leave to assure there as good as I can possibly get them.

There's something that-after looking at ref pics and staring down the Zam costume on ref cd millimeter by millimeter for two years, and creating it from scratch and getting all the zammers to collaborate, and then being able to see it yourself- would make anyone go nuts. It's like having a baby- you research and feed yourself right for 9 months just to create this wonderful thing.(of course babies are more of a miracle of life), I don't know if I could settle for just another set of reference pics, especially when Lucas finally has it out for all of us to oggle at. DCB has been most gracious to have started everything with his trip to austrialia and his ref cd. But to finally see it in person... sigh... It's like when I saw the rifle. Don't get me wrong, Andy-Kun, PLEASE snap away, the more pics the better. You would probably take something I didn't see or do, but to have mulled over this costume for years and to spend $3000 in the making of it. Just to mimic artistry (Heck, I didn't spend that much on my infant yet. ) and not see the real thing... It's like the Zammer's version of the Holy Grail, or something. Ok, so it's not Jesus' cup, but you get my drift.

Andy-Kun, don't forget to bring a ruler, and put it next to the gauntlets and the skirt! (Just in case I don't make it out there.)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back