Super Shiny Jango Bucket Progress Pics

Nice job on the bucket!
Have you finished the pinstriping yet?...

I stand by the rub'n'buff method personally, as its great for re-touching up again anytime and weathering on top off...

20050308image00068nc.jpg

The silver RnB has a nice aged metal finish to it too i think...

Mason.

(Not trying to hijack your thread, just show a Rub'n'Buff comparison)

Last edited by a moderator:
thorssoli said:
I've painted the other (Navy) blue. I think it might be just a bit too dark and I didn't do such a great job with the masking, so I'll probably be doing some touch up with a brush. Then it's time for another clear coat and final assembly.

I really like this pic the most cause it was supper SHINEY

Here's a metric butt-ton of pics. They should be pretty self explanatory. These include the velcro-in neckseal at the bottom of the helmet.

The fan is mounted inside the left side of the helmet with an on/off switch at the edge so you can reach it without opening the neckseal.

The pinstripes are 1/8" adhesive pinstriping available at any auto supply shop. I didn't feel like rolling the dice by doing the pinstriping by hand.

I mostly feel like I'm done with this one. (y) I may still cover the wiring inside the helmet and black out the epoxy putty I used to hold the fan, switch, and visor in place. I don't think anybody will ever see them though.

a1.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a2.jpg

A6.jpg

A5.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

Hey y'all,

I just wanted to show this off too. I painted the whole car with the same chrome paint as my Jango helmet. Once I hang the front bumper back on it I'm considering putting a couple of blue racing stripes on it. Then if I finish the rest of the Jango costume, I'll have a car that matches it.

Maybe I've already taken it too far.

posting pic.jpg

thorssoli said:
Hey y'all,

I just wanted to show this off too. I painted the whole car with the same chrome paint as my Jango helmet. Once I hang the front bumper back on it I'm considering putting a couple of blue racing stripes on it. Then if I finish the rest of the Jango costume, I'll have a car that matches it.

Maybe I've already taken it too far.
layitlow.com forum there for custom painting......some murals would look nice

slave1driver said:
How's that chromed paintjob on that miata (?) comming along?

The Miata has seen a bit of a setback. There were a few rough spots on the chrome layer. I went ahead with the clearcoat anyway and caused all sorts of problems. It turns out that I didn't give the chrome enough time to off-gas all of the solvents. So the nice metal layer that had laid flat and looked like chrome ended up moving just enough to look like normal silver paint in a lot of places.

Now I'm going piece by piece and sanding through to the black basecoat, respraying a clearcoat, re-chroming, and then clearcoating after waiting long enough.

It will take me a lot longer, but when it's done it should be perfect. I'd post pictures, but there's nothing to be proud of right now.

I don't have a pattern for the neckseal, but it would be pretty simple to re-create. What you need to do is trace out the outline of your helmet, figure out where you need the neck hole to be, add to the outside edge for the velcro attachment to the helmet, and add to all of the edges for the seams. The drawstring is elastic, so you don't have to worry about strangling yourself with the gasket.

A pattern might not be too useful since the bottom of each helmet is going to be a bit different.

I hope this is helpful.

Silly Question, but why the red primer before the grey? I understand the black as it is better for the chrome paint..

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back