BatNinja's Ammo Pouch Tutorial

Ah righto - do you reckon your templates would work if making the pouches (to be used as pouches) out of a thicker leather?

Just wanted to bring this Thread back up...
BN your craftsmanship is amazing....Great Belt!!.....
Now get to work on my vest!!:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
More? What's missing?

I do need to mention that I've updated (although I don't have pics yet) a couple of things. Instead of normal all-purpose sewing thread, I use upholstery thread; it's thicker, and makes the pouches appear more 'leathery'. You can find upholstery thread in most fabric stores.

Also, after studying the MoM pics a little more, I'm moved the pouch stitching a little closer to the edge of the flap. The width between the stitch and the edge of the pouch about 1/8th of an inch. I'll try to get pics up later.

I did something very similar with my ammo belt pouches...
except I am not forming them around blocks, they will be fully functional.
Here is one of the very first pictures I took before I began construction.
Right now I am almost done, I just need to do the stitching on the flap and attach the belt loops.

AmmoBelt_Assembly_sm.jpg

Once I finish sewing and gluing them all together I will line them with a firm poster board covered with a black felt, this way they will retain their shape during wear and storage.

I just want to thank BatNinja. I made my son an Ammo Pouch for $5. I could not have done it without your tutorial. Here is a pic:

DSCF0060.JPG

It's not great because I made it and have never sewed in my life. But it will look awesome on my 8 year old. I'm not going to post pics of him wearing it because he's not getting it untill his Birthday in July.

Skyla, great job! Be sure to post pics of his face when he opens the presents! :eek:

Thanks for the tutorial Batninja! I worked quite awhile on my belt this weekend and should finish up the *belt* portion tonight. Here are some pics.

Here's the virtually finished product missing brass set of eyelets in the back and black push buttons on some of the pockets on some of the compartments.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

The tutorial is what made it happen. You're awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 232
Oh wow, I didn't realise how old this thread was! You did a great job using this tutorial MacRory! I might try this some day; I'd like a new belt. What kind of wood did you use for the pouches??

Great tutorial BN, saw this for the first time yesterday and started making my first belt straight away, awsome stuff, thanks

-Steve

I am having problems with the 3M spray glue... is it normal that the pouch flaps un-glue themselves after a day on the counter (the stitching is not done yet on those flaps). Could I have a glue issue here or is it just because it is actually the stitching that keeps them closed ??

The glue I use is 3M's Rubber and Vinyl Spray Adhesive 80.

You bring up a good point. Maybe I should explain that a bit...

The glue is merely a way to 'stay' the vinyl while you're sewing (since you can't use pins); it's not meant as an actual adhesive.

Personally, I did them one at a time: spray, then sew; spray, then sew, etc.

I actually use superglue, the bottle with the brush in it. Just paint a line of glue, fold it, put a couple books on it, 10min later its ready. Just do a little at a time. It holds ver well, so you can sew the sides.

Hello Batninja,
A lot of pleasure, my name is Leo, I am from Argentina - Buenos Aires, the first thing of everything thank you for the whole information that you have given us are really very good your work.

Thanks, Leo

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back