My Jumpsuit - Your Opinion, please

Christo Fett

Active Hunter
I finished modifying my Walls coveralls and then bleaching and then dying. What do you guys think of the color? Is it too blue or too dark? I think I may be happy with it once it's weathered. I'm leaving it out in my driveway for a while so the sun can bleach it some and I can run over it with my car when I come and go. This is the best way to weather it, right? ;) I put the other stuff on there for a point of reference. ESB style, BTW.

jumpsuit.jpg

Looks good to me Chris, maybe a little bit too blue, but I think your sun bleaching idea should work great! The car running over thing, hmmmm, havn't heard of that method :lol: . Anyway, looks pretty good to me buddy!

Frank

I dont know how sunbleaching will affect dyed cloth, but only cotton (natural) fabrics will colour, synthetics won't ... My cape is synthetic and I wanted it to bleach a little.. didn't work, I wanted it to wrinkle so I made it wet and left it in a prop for a while.. didn't work.

I think you should just keep it this colour and weathe rit with spray cans of paint, not really destroying or dirtying it up as it will go of in the washing machine leaving only the damage visible.

Fett's suit is weathered and dirty, not really damaged with exception of a few dents here and there.

Funny thing happened. I figured I would throw it in the washing machine with some bleach to take some of the blue out. It took ALL of the blue out! Looked like it did when I started. So I re-dyed it with half as much dye and I like it much better.

It is made of cotton so I was disapointed when I couldn't lighten up the original gray, using bleach and Rit dye remover, before dying it blueish. I just hit it with some spray paint to weather it and I think it looks decent. Hard to tell by itself. I might post a pic later if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Chris, please post an updated pic... love to see it.

I weathered mine with various colors of spray paint misted over it in layers. Works like a charm.

Leaving the fabric out in the sun WILL lighten the fabric but it may take a bit of time.

Has anyone tried weathering with dye? I mean use an airbrush to spray on the dye? That seems more permanant and you can wash it if you had to.

Here's the updated pic. Taken in daylight again. I think the jumpsuit is too dark still but I may be wrong. It looks darker in person. I'll probably give it some more weathering later on.

jumpsuit2.jpg

and the old pic for comparison:
jumpsuit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good to me! Where did you get the jumpsuit from? I am in the market for one, and still havn't found one I think I will be completely happy with yet. Shoot me a PM would ya?

Frank

The blue tint is there and I too think it's still a little dark. Can't lighten it up any more with bleach or dye remover, that's why I was hoping to sun bleach it over time. Maybe my wife can take it in the tanning bed with her next time she goes. :lol:

If I ever make my own again I will definitely start with white coveralls. I've read before that you should always dye the color up and not try to bleach the color out. I can see why. :facepalm

bfett81 said:
Where did you get that armor?
It's all homemade using Sintra.

T-Visor said:
Looks like you have sewn on the straps for the jet pack directly on the jumpsuit ...
Yes, I have. I was wondering if anyone would notice that. The JP harness has been trouble for me. My JP is 12lbs and every system I have tried just doesn't work, the pack pulls down really hard. Not sure if I am going to stick with the sewed on straps either.

Christo Fett said:
Yes, I have. I was wondering if anyone would notice that. The JP harness has been trouble for me. My JP is 12lbs and every system I have tried just doesn't work, the pack pulls down really hard. Not sure if I am going to stick with the sewed on straps either.

That's an interesting concept... not sure I've seen that done before. Let us know how that works!

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back