FP backplate/armor review

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
FP backplate/armor review: new pics 7/28

Hey Folks. As most of you know, FP is back in business to help us out with our fett needs. Theres a whole other post about that, but I gotta say it again...Its great to have him back. I just recieved my new FP armour, and wanted to post about it. This is the 3rd set of armour I have owned, and while all the other stuff was really nice, FP's stuff takes the cake!!! Its is of superb craftsmanship, and without a doubt, the most accurate stuff I have ever seen!! In addition, (and I'm shure most people will agree with me here,) FP is one of the most stand-up guys I have ever dealt with!

I posted a few pics of the FG armour I got from FP. For those of you that want to really go accurate, you can get vaced as well!! The pictures really don't do it justice. (I'm not to good with a camera :lol:)

Just look at the detail on that shoulder!!! Dents are spot-on!!!

And for the first time ever....The FP Backplate is now available!!!! As with everything else from FP, the size and proportion of the backplate is astonishing. It is also very well constructed/well made!!!

SO in conclusion, this stuff is fantastic. After years of working on my fett, the end is finally in sight. THis is one aspect of my suit that I'm 100 % positive I won't be upgrading. :D I'll be posting more pics as I go along with this stuff, so you can see how the size compares with a MSH2, etc, and how it looks assembled & painted. Now....on to the pics!!!

Damian

nfparmor1.JPG

nfparmor.JPG

nfpshoulder.JPG

nfpbackplate2.JPG

nfpbackplate1.JPG

nfpbackplate3.JPG

nfpbackplate4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great, I think I will get vacc'ed. Must be light. Any modifiying to the backplate/collar? Or do they fit together perfectly like I suspect?

The backplate & collar seem to line up perfectly Cal. I'm going to drill the holes for the 4 bolts this weekend. I'll post annother pic for you once I get that done so you can see how they line up & fit together;)
Damian

Wow ! :eek:

Thanks for the gowing review !!! I'm seriously glad you like the armor
bud ... !!!(y)

Have fun with the paint process !:lol:

FP

Well, if it wouid ever quit raining, I'm hoping to have most of my painting done today:lol: Man...this stuff is such a complete joy to work with!!! Having all the dents in the right place etc really makes painting and weathering sssoooooo much easier...no more fudging and guessing when trying to get a fairly accurate paintup!!! forgot to take a pic of the collar/backplate joint. Was too anxious to get some paint on it & totally spaced!! :lol: You should still be able to see how it lines up with paint on it though;) Stay tuned:)
Damian

Jango's kid said:
Well, if it wouid ever quit raining, I'm hoping to have most of my painting done today:lol: Man...this stuff is such a complete joy to work with!!! Having all the dents in the right place etc really makes painting and weathering sssoooooo much easier...no more fudging and guessing when trying to get a fairly accurate paintup!!! forgot to take a pic of the collar/backplate joint. Was too anxious to get some paint on it & totally spaced!! :lol: You should still be able to see how it lines up with paint on it though;) Stay tuned:)
Damian

Isn't it nice to get a Fine Piece of work that you don't have to prep, or sand?...it's ready to primer and paint.........NIIIIICCE...(y)

Has anyone ever had a problem with paint crackling on the chrome layer? i sanded all my armor to the white And sprayed primer/then silver when I applied the catapillar yellow is crackled all over and i had to resand it off, any idea why that is? Silver was testors.

:lol:

Speaking of which, I've been asked numerous times why I do NOT primer
my items before letting them walk out the door. I figured it was time to address that ...

By providing a clean raw piece, the person who gets them can see that there are minimal to zero imperfections in the gelcoat finish. If you see a primered piece from me, that means there were imperfections in the pretty white gel coat that had to be filled and sanded with body filler, hence the need for primer to pretty it back up. Filing and priming is actually more of the norm in the fiberglass and fabrication industry. There's nothing wrong with it. What I do is actually "Odd" in contrast in a manner of speaking. But the way I figure it, Boba Armor was white plastic. Just because your getting fiberglass, doesn't mean you can't have the accurate under color 8) Besides, in my experience, most people want to prime themselves. Not knowing what kind of primer was used, could cause incompatability issues with paints you might use on your pieces. And, some just feel better having the final hand in finishing the surface themselves so that they can feel confident that there were no oils, or contaminants on the surface before priming.

But, so that there is no confusion about what I just said, it should be understood that there are others that make pieces that are gray in color, but this does not necessarily mean they are primer coated. Some individuals simply prefer gray gelcoat as their outter finish. Then there are others, who pull their pieces, with whatever color gelcoat they prefer, then fill and sand, and then spray a same color gelcoat layer over the top of that to finsih it off. It's up to you to ask before hand unless it's otherwise specified.

Hope that explains it ..

FP

Spideyfett said:
Isn't it nice to get a Fine Piece of work that you don't have to prep, or sand?...it's ready to primer and paint.........NIIIIICCE...(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to be one who uses gray gelcoat, unless a specific color is needed. White gelcoat, (as I'm sure FP is well aware of) is the hardest color to see air bubbles in while laminating. I've used white for troopers, scouts, This outfit,
<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and soon, clonetroopers. You really need to look at your piece from many angles, when laminating over white. This should give you a good idea of the extra effort involved for FP to stay true Boba's lineage. As I run Jango armor, I feel exempt from this requirement, and go with gray. :lol:

Man you said it, the eye strain can get pretty uncomfortable :lol:
Thanks for the backup man ;)

FP

judz dwedd said:
White gelcoat, (as I'm sure FP is well aware of) is the hardest color to see air bubbles in while laminating. You really need to look at your piece from many angles, when laminating over white. This should give you a good idea of the extra effort involved for FP to stay true Boba's lineage. As I run Jango armor, I feel exempt from this requirement, and go with gray. :lol:

fettpride said:
Man you said it, the eye strain can get pretty uncomfortable :lol:
Thanks for the backup man ;)

FP

Try running a trooper calf in a closed mold with a half-ounce layer of chopstrand, and get it resin lean, for flexability. It's like laminating inside a long tube with one end slightly larger than the other. Talk about eye strain. :lol:

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back