GOT MY HELMET!!! now for some questions

FrankFett

Hunter
hey guys, i know that i should probably be using the search function (n) but i know how much you guys just love answering questions more than once so i thought i would just start a new thread!!! :D anyway, i just received my mystery sized helmet today and my adrenaline is pumping, i am so excited to get started. first question is what kind of tape should i use to block off areas that i dont want painted. second question is is an aluminum rangefinder stalk necessary and if so why, and finally how do i attach the earpieces (note: i do not own a dremel tool and am trying very hard to stay away from one, tight budget) Thanks for any answers guys, and gals, and i am proud to finally be an "official" dented helmet owner!

Frank

Frank,
Congrats on the helmet! It's a great feeling, I know. :)
For masking, I've had really great results with regular old Scotch blue painters tape. Of course, it will depend on what kind of paints you're using. I've been using Testors Model Master and Polly S paints with an airbrush, and I've had absolutely zero problems with the tape pulling up any paint.
For the ears, if you don't want to drill/bolt them on, I would recommend a good 2-part epoxy and some clamps.
Also, just my opinion, but if your earpieces are separate from the main helmet, I would leave them off until you're done painting the helmet. It's soooo much easier to paint them separately.
Post progress pics if you're able!
Eric

I also tried to stay away from a dremmel for money reasons but after a few strokes with the mini handsaw for cutting the visor I new I would need one so I ended up getting one. If you can afford $45 I highly recommend one. I think that is what I paid for mine at Lowes. You can do it without a dremmel but just make sure you have a lot of patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i had to cut my t visor i would prolly break down and buy a dremel as well, but mine is already sanded, trimmed, and primed. I will post pics when they are available. Once again, does anybody know anything about an aluminum RF stalk? Are they really that much better?

Frank

Ok here is a pic of my helm. Its mystery sized from the dealer on TK409's page. If you are in the market for a helmet, I highly recommend them. Very high quality, and absolutely wonderful to deal with. Starting painting this afternoon. Wish me luck. Freakin' nervous!

Frank

Picture 11.jpg

Your ability to pose the helmet exactly the same in the two photos is incredible!

Seriously though, it looks good so far, now get weathering!

Looking great so far. To answer your question about aluminum RF stalks, I definitely think it is worth it to upgrade to aluminum. One slip in transporting your bucket, or catching it on a door frame would make for a broken resin stalk. A lot of the components of a Fett costume can be fragile. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back