Installing Moving Stalk *HELP ASAP!*

darkfang

New Hunter
Hi all. I'm just about to get to painting my dome and I wanted to know how the heck I can get the RF to stay upright as I walk about but be able to move down if I were to move it manually? This is my first bucket so no motors or anything just yet.

I installed 3 small super strength magnets to the stalk and ear peice but no dice, still just falls.

Please please, what the heck do I do?!?!?!?!?

Well, if your stalk is aluminum then the magnets won't do a thing, aluminum is a non-ferrous metal (no iron), so it's not magnetic. You could do what the DP helmets have (if you're not using one already) and have a small raised edge in the ear that keeps the stalk up, but when you apply enough pressure the stalk slips right past it. Hope that makes sense.

Oh hay Arizona, lol I live in Yuma

Anyway, its a resin stalk with a steel bar going down the inside.

and the mount is resin as well..... thats my problem i think. I really don't want to glue it straight up

Is the stalk wide/deep enough to install a magnet into it as well?

I guess you could make a hole on the RF stalk and a hole on the opposing side in the helmet. Install a magnet on each side.. That should keep the RF up untill you carefully force the RF away. ... well granted that the magnets are off approbriate strength and distance from each other. Too far... not enough resistance... to close and they might lock to hard so that you can't seperate them without breaking the stalck. Normal refrigiator magnets should work...

silly putty??

mmm... you could always try a bolt&screw and tigthen it just enough so that the friction still holds it up...

silly putty??

mmm... you could always try a bolt&screw and tigthen it just enough so that the friction still holds it up...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back