Fett Helmets

I've been asked about painting helmets numerous times. For some unknown reason I never hear back from anyone after I quote a price. Maybe people expect quality paint jobs for $2.00/Hour A cheap paint job tends to get you something under the 10 foot rule, which is fine if you just want to dress up a mannequin and take pictures never planning to wear your costume out. A great paint job you can look at from 2 feet or closer and truely appriciate the detail that goes into the pieces. I'm not saying that I'm a fantastic painter I just would never sell something that had to be looked at from a distance to appear accurate.

MARROW SUN said:
I've been asked about painting helmets numerous times. For some unknown reason I never hear back from anyone after I quote a price. Maybe people expect quality paint jobs for $2.00/Hour A cheap paint job tends to get you something under the 10 foot rule, which is fine if you just want to dress up a mannequin and take pictures never planning to wear your costume out. A great paint job you can look at from 2 feet or closer and truely appriciate the detail that goes into the pieces. I'm not saying that I'm a fantastic painter I just would never sell something that had to be looked at from a distance to appear accurate.

That is so true MS .....after recently completing mine I couldn't even imagine doing one for $$ The entire process was daunting and took me month's....I incurred some "Fett burnout" along the way,which if you're being paid makes the customer unhappy...

Moral: Paintjobs make the helmet. You could pour paintstripper over the original ESB (kidding) and slap a lame paintjob on it and it would look a lame prop overall.

Steve

gorman said:
But are you dirty???
:lol: :lol:

Me Personally I love the painting process..I've done four ESB Buckets now and every one get's better and Easier..
Those of us that "CAN" paint are More than happy to provide the service to those that can't.
With that being said though I would never sell something to someone that I my-self didn't like...I guess I'm an Artist that way.

Marrow's Right, some thing's look great in Pictures...
To me the only way to differentiate is to see them in person and up close....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think I'm with a few of you, the painting part is the part that I'm most looking forward too. I've painted most of my life but since I moved into a house a little over a year ago I haven't found a decent area in the house to set up a studio that my wife wouldn't yell at me for. So in a way, the Fett armor will become my next paint project. Something that I can work on in the garage from time to time. Anyways, I'm rambling... I do appreciate all the input and at this time I am leaning toward Bobamaker's deluxe kit. Yet I'm still doing my research. I should have a selection made sometime next month. I'll let you all know.

jestlyr

The way I see it is, if you were into this for the painting, you might want to consider actually buying a cheapo from Ebay, using that as your practice so you could really t*ts the hell out of the good helmet...I am going to be doing that with my Jordan donated helmet :)

Goro and his tequilla!! What the heck was I promising at C3???
But I promise as soon as I turn into that short, fat, 45 year old balding Japaneese man that people were expecting I'll send you a helmet.

Got Maul said:
The way I see it is, if you were into this for the painting, you might want to consider actually buying a cheapo from Ebay, using that as your practice so you could really t*ts the hell out of the good helmet...I am going to be doing that with my Jordan donated helmet :)

Hi :)

I'm aware of most of the helmets available ( and very good they are too ) but I'm looking for something smaller that looks better than my two Don post helmets. I did try and make my own but it did not turn out so well ... although my dad did say that the Tate modern might take it as a peice of abstract sculpture :lol:.

Does anyone make a smaller version of the movie sized helmets ?

Thanks

Randy
:jet pack

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back