MY MS2

Tension113 said:
People wouldn't care who knows what If it didn't effect their profits.. If you ask me, people that have info that they either can't or don't wish to disclose, should not mention that they even have this info.. and unless someone is using someone elses methods that were given to them privately, I think it's wrong to ask anyone to hold anything back that they feel like sharing..

Exactly, and hey if you're making money that's great, it's not like they are getting over on anyone, you're working your butt off, you're providing a service and you're earning money for your hard work, and thats great. But that in no way gives anyone exclusive rights to anything IMO, nor do they have the right to get angry. And yeah as for information, if you're going to put it up on a thread for all to see, people are going to use it, because it's great information. And if that person happens to make a tutorial they are going to mention thats how they did it, they didn't claim they came up with the method or they invented this method or whatever. They were simpley trying to provide a "how to" guide. We all take the information provided, some follow it exactly, some say hey know what would work better and tweek it a little, some are inspired by it for an alternative idea, whatever the case may be, isn't that what this board's for?

Very hurt and disappointed about the news Alex. I am very sorry that some people are doing that to you. I bet that when they read what you posted, you won't be making friends with them either. It is certainly difficult to understand where someone is coming from when they tell you to stop "giving" out information. We all want each other to do well in what ever they are working on. But sometimes we can't do that without sharing information or even asking for help. For being so new, I take this very personally. I take that as "don't help the new people." That is just a sad way to look at things. I hope I am wrong.

But I would also like to add a thank you. You have given me so much information and step by step instructions on my bucket. I can not thank you enough. You are a good man and have a wealth of information. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck, sir.

Spidey

if you shut down this thread then THEY win....man finish it..finish what you started.

Don't let these guys affect you

I know what you are going thru...I am getting beat up myself on another forum that I will not mention about my MARROW SUN painted helmet purchase. I put up pics showing it off and a few guys said I was gloating about how much I spent on it and I was a "spoiled rich kid".

For me it did nothing but fire me up and motivate me to finish my FETT and make it freakin awesome

you should take the same attitude...dont let these jokers keep you from doing what you set out to do.

anyway good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Spidey,

This thread is going to be of great help to me in painting my bucket. Thank you for the effort that you have put into photographing and documenting your progress. This shows a great dedication to this hobby that we have all chosen, and I for one think that we are lucky to have you here on the board. I hope you do continue with this thread, but if you do not, I understand. If you do not continue, expect some PM's when I'm working on my helmet. :D Thanks again.

-Ray

:( dude...

screw that dude with his PM who ever it was!
sjees... I mean, you are a greatly respected member here, I mean we all know your buckets and the way they turn out... absolutly awesome!!

and then you are here passing on your knowledge, so we might be able to get our thingies to look just a wee bit like yours!!

and that is just so cool! Don't let one PM get you, I mean keep it up!!! we all love to see your progress and how to's...

we're all with ya here... that's what I figured reading the posts...

PM on the way..

I too am a bit hurt, and disappointed by this. I was told about this site from a senior member. He described it as a wonderful place full with talented helpful builders. Sad to say I have found allot of members to be not helpful. But others have (you know who you are) I even have had some members snap at me! "Why don't you research first before you start bugging me with PMs" I understand now the powers of the Search for past threads, but allot of those have broken links, or photos. Just nice to get a fresh thread going. I am sure some members have new info to post as well. Well I guess that isn't the case.

I understand I am a noob, but how else does someone start out?
You can tell someone what to do, and how to do it, it doesn't mean they are going to have a fett helmet just like yours. This hobby requires talent. Not every helmet it going to look alike. Is this what some senior members are worried about? They want to have the best looking fett costume and don’t' want to share the glory with anyone else? That sucks... I highly doubt that is the case, but it may be in a limited few.

By joining I hoped to have met allot of cool people, and meet them in real life one day at a Con. But by this behavior I am not going to be involved, but just as a side watcher now. I will just PM those users who have expressed to me that they would love to help me out, or give me some pointers. Because it is obvious I am not going to be getting them on here in a public forum anymore.

Res ipsa loquitur. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I haven't got to read the whole thread, but for what I understand is that someone got frustrated, lost in the middle of something, and didn't got the help from other guys in the group. Hmmm, well, this is the way I see it: (my point of view, and not trashing anyone's job or effort, or even the request for EXTRA HELP, if I would say)

Members in this group are happy with the results of what they do themselves, which I would say 80% of them satisfied, including the ones really "accurate-picky" kinda guys. But I could say that 98% of them are really happy for the end results of their own efforts, LEARNING from this group, and regardless of the talent...but it's all in LEARNING PATIENCE FIRST.

I've learn (and I'm still learning as of today after two and a half years) a lot of things I didn't know. I've done my first DP '95 helmet -white interior...the best- by myself in an ESB style paintjob, which I sold on Ebay long time ago), and it wasn't even still finished, which I learned afterwards...literally it wasn't weathered, but all the scatches and dings were there...well....most of them. :facepalm

I don't know the circumstances someone is mad about the group, which this group has been MY FAMILY for almost TWO AND A HALF years. The HELP feature is extremely usefull, if you know where to look and what you read, and the first found topic is not always the right one, it could be the second, or maybe the third...but topics are based on member's EXPERIENCE during the process of building the Fett...which it was mentioned in numerous occasions: "This is one of the most time-consuming, expensive, and frustrating costumes to build"...and they were right! If you really love the character, and if you have the "accuracy bug" stinging you (like me NOW), you will never finish your Fett...LITERALLY. Two years after finishing it, and I'm still upgrading, and working, and finding the REAL parts to improve it.

I am also part of the feeling of teaching around, when I posted threads of how to make or custom make your own JUMPSUIT, as well as a good thread of how to make scratch-built Fett BOOTS (the most difficult part to get around here, and probably expensive for what it is). All depends on your talent to do things....and YOUR PATIENCE.

Now, being a new person in the group...how can you be THAT frustrated for the lack of HELP??!! Everyone has a different way to do things around here, when building our Fett (or whatever bounty hunter character you want, which is the purpose of this group...besides of helping someone in a way or another to finish it, but don't expect someone to do the whole job for you, unless you really have to pay for it, and it has a price. Building, assembling, PAINTING, and putting together a Fett costume IS NOT EASY AT ALL.

If you read my signature (which I love it, because of the sense, and the deep message inside it), it quotes one of the most famous characters around: -"Try not...DO, OR DO NOT. There is no try!"- Yoda, ESB. You will never do (or finish, whatever the case)...don't give up, and keep fighting for what you want, and for what you love. You have listeners, and you have the ones who don't listen. If you say something, the ones with ears will benefit from it.

SpideyFett and Cal196, don't give up what you're doing, and be assured that you have plenty of support here...besides that you're doing a ONE HELL OF A SUPERB JOB. (y) Keep the good work, and keep the good learning experience coming.

Bottom line is, SHARE the experience with us here (whatever the case is, just to help each other), and if there's any doubt: ASK US!. That way we could see further what the problem is and that way we could post our feedback or 2 cents worth of help according to the needs.

Robert

Spidey its a damn shame to hear you say that, but I can totally understand. This is a popular hobby, and it seems theres a lot of folks profiteering and trying to cash in on it to make a quick buck. I totally respect your talents and your wishes.

I will of course be PM'ing you for a little bit of help every now and then if you don't mind. It's a shame that some people put a stain on such an enjoyable and creative hobby.

Dan

DarthVader1,

You are wrong,
There are people PMing spidey telling him not to share his painting secrets.They told him to "let them figure it out" ...... :facepalm .He is trying
to help us newbies out and we love it. Thats why we are on this board,and if I "figure it out" I to will post it. Now read to WHOLE thread.

[quote-Spideyfett]Well to my amazement I was shocked to get PM's from certain members that "Advised" me that "maybe I should hold back a little on some of the information that I was Providing". Like it was SOOO top secret or something...... And in the Word of another member "Let them figure it out for themselves".......Naturally I was Stunned and shocked at This type of Attitude. But I didn't care, SO I continued to post.
I think you should 'CALL THESE PEOPLE OUT' to the board. Expose them to the light and the cockroaches will scatter. We don't need people like that on this board anyway.

DarthVader1 said:
OK, I haven't got to read the whole thread, but for what I understand is that someone got frustrated, lost in the middle of something, and didn't got the help from other guys in the group. Hmmm, well, this is the way I see it: (my point of view, and not trashing anyone's job or effort, or even the request for EXTRA HELP, if I would say)

Members in this group are happy with the results of what they do themselves, which I would say 80% of them satisfied, including the ones really "accurate-picky" kinda guys. But I could say that 98% of them are really happy for the end results of their own efforts, LEARNING from this group, and regardless of the talent...but it's all in LEARNING PATIENCE FIRST.

I've learn (and I'm still learning as of today after two and a half years) a lot of things I didn't know. I've done my first DP '95 helmet -white interior...the best- by myself in an ESB style paintjob, which I sold on Ebay long time ago), and it wasn't even still finished, which I learned afterwards...literally it wasn't weathered, but all the scatches and dings were there...well....most of them. :facepalm

I don't know the circumstances someone is mad about the group, which this group has been MY FAMILY for almost TWO AND A HALF years. The HELP feature is extremely usefull, if you know where to look and what you read, and the first found topic is not always the right one, it could be the second, or maybe the third...but topics are based on member's EXPERIENCE during the process of building the Fett...which it was mentioned in numerous occasions: "This is one of the most time-consuming, expensive, and frustrating costumes to build"...and they were right! If you really love the character, and if you have the "accuracy bug" stinging you (like me NOW), you will never finish your Fett...LITERALLY. Two years after finishing it, and I'm still upgrading, and working, and finding the REAL parts to improve it.

I am also part of the feeling of teaching around, when I posted threads of how to make or custom make your own JUMPSUIT, as well as a good thread of how to make scratch-built Fett BOOTS (the most difficult part to get around here, and probably expensive for what it is). All depends on your talent to do things....and YOUR PATIENCE.

Now, being a new person in the group...how can you be THAT frustrated for the lack of HELP??!! Everyone has a different way to do things around here, when building our Fett (or whatever bounty hunter character you want, which is the purpose of this group...besides of helping someone in a way or another to finish it, but don't expect someone to do the whole job for you, unless you really have to pay for it, and it has a price. Building, assembling, PAINTING, and putting together a Fett costume IS NOT EASY AT ALL.

If you read my signature (which I love it, because of the sense, and the deep message inside it), it quotes one of the most famous characters around: -"Try not...DO, OR DO NOT. There is no try!"- Yoda, ESB. You will never do (or finish, whatever the case)...don't give up, and keep fighting for what you want, and for what you love. You have listeners, and you have the ones who don't listen. If you say something, the ones with ears will benefit from it.

SpideyFett and Cal196, don't give up what you're doing, and be assured that you have plenty of support here...besides that you're doing a ONE HELL OF A SUPERB JOB. (y) Keep the good work, and keep the good learning experience coming.

Bottom line is, SHARE the experience with us here (whatever the case is, just to help each other), and if there's any doubt: ASK US!. That way we could see further what the problem is and that way we could post our feedback or 2 cents worth of help according to the needs.

Robert

Perhaps you should have read through the thread fully to understand what was going on. The point of the matter wasn't about someone being frustrated by lack of help. The point is Spidey was going out of his way to present the progress of his ms2 paint job, and at the same time, making it a tutorial with step by step instructions. He was discouraged by other senior members of the board to "not let the secrets out" to newbies who were obviously lookin for guidence but "should figure it out themselves." It wasnt about learning patience or complaining about lack of help, it was about someone trying to do something good and someone else saying nah, **** them. Yes, Try not-- do or do not there is no try indeed, but yoda didn't say ok, ya know what luke, you can probably figure the force out by yourself, I mean yeah I have all the knowledge on the force I can share with you but nah, just do it on your own.

:lol: nutcore.

I am going to take the advice of some senior members here by not getting involved in the politics of the board. I guess I am not the only one feeling it.
By spidey being so adamant about not continuing to post the pictures makes me wonder are they going to ban him if he does? Why do some senior members give in to them? What type of mind control are they pulling over the members that want to help. "that old jedi mind trick"
I have been trying to figure out why someone wouldn't want another person helping out a fellow fett builder. It wasn't like Spidey was selling these secrets on Ebay to OUTSIDE members. I really think it is mildly humorous and disappointing there are people like this in this group. I for one know that once I master the art of the ESB Fett, I will help anyone that needs it. "mind what you have learned...help you can!"

so here is to the fellow members who expressed they will help anyone who needs it

and to those others :moon

Love,
Danielle

I thought Spidey's tutorial imbodied the idea of this forum.:confused

Its a shame its ruined by wannabe monopoly holders...(n)

Mason.
Ps: Do what you feel is right Spidey!(y)
Agree with you 110%...;)

Man...oh man. Call it the force, but I KNEW something like this would happen with all the darn EGO'S that have surfaced on here.
This place was always an open exchange of ideas, although there have always been those here that show their work, but suffer from memory lapses when questioned on sources of supplies, parts and equiptment. Almost as a "nah-nah!" :p Mine is better!!! - attitude only because they need the praise and contstant accolades. Somehow I do not think that was the reason that TDH was created.

I have asked countless questions from sooo many throughout my years on here. I have always credited those and thanked them, for without them, I never would have finished (Not that I EVER will be truly finished. lol) I have noticed that so many "senior" folks here LURK while new commers ask questions BUT seldom offer any advice or comment on anyones work! What is that all about? Yet when they post, everyone drops to their knees to kiss backsides.

To keep our fellow brothers and sisters "ignorant" to some of the discovered trade secrets for thge sake of profit is not only messed up but immature and disgraceful.

I hope my response and this whole post does not discourage or drive anyone thinking about becoming a FETT.

Ask away... there will always be someone here to help. That's what family is for! ;)

Well, I am confused and very skeptical about this situation.

First, I don't know why Spidey would acquiesce to this senior member's alleged suggestions. If those members told you not to share information, who cares? Spite them and keep posting your tutorial. It reflects poorly on you, Spidey, to follow that dogma. There are numerous excellent painting tutorials already on this board, so let's keep adding to that total.

The administration will not allow any member to be ostracized or threatened for sharing information with the board, which is a founding principle of this board. If you have received such a threat, please forward the information to me or another administrator and we will look into the situation.

If there is a member here who wants to put other member's information "in check," so to speak, let him be man enough to say it here. Otherwise, this reads like like an indictment of senior members because of one or two member's misguided and inane comments.

Well........seeing how I was asking question after question to spidey about helmet painting suggestions I cant help but feel certain members didnt want me to do a good job on my helmet. well I finished it so no need to worry anymore and I'm pleased with it to. Thanks once agian Spidey for all your hard work and help.

You shouldnt let anyone tell you what to do, and how to post this is your website to. I have seen the ego's surface lately and franky I could care less. I dont deal that way or get involved in it but can understand your point of view and respect it.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

I've got to say something...

I've been here forever and must qualify as one of the "senior" members. I have a TON of experience in building and painting Boba Fett costumes. I've been doing it since 2001.

That being said, I haven't uncovered any fantastic secrets, I haven't sculpted a masterpiece and I haven't come up with better ways of building a Fett. I WOULD like to think however that I've inspired some of the newer members into building a better costume, set a pretty decent example of how to treat people and have been helpful in any way I could whether it was to offer tips, explain techniques, tell people where to find parts, whatever... I wish I could do the same for some other "senior" members.

If what Spidey says is true that's ridiculous. This community was built to share ideas and techniques so we could all strive for the best possible Fett costume. JediBob and some of the newbies aren't alone in thinking that there would appear to be an elitist attitude going around here lately. Senior members should share their knowledge instead of holding it close to there vests. They might forget that at one time they too were asking for help from others and got it.

Just my two cents... take it for whatever its worth.

First I would like to say thank you for this thread, great information and unfortunately I have experienced the same unpleasant attitude with my blueprints and templates. I have only one response to these folks; I keep posting blueprints and templates and sharing any information that I have.

Keep posting!!

Alan

Gator Fett said:
This realy angers and sickens me. :angry :puke This type of attitude is something I would expect over at the RPF, but NEVER here. I have been a member of this board for quite some time, and while my post count may not be as high as others, I have paid attention to what goes on around this place, and this type of attitude surprises me.

I have some times wondered about the lack of involvement from some of the "senior" members, but I have always written it off as growing tired of answering the same question over and over, not trying to keep info from the community. I hope that this new info that you shared is just an isolated case, and not the new way of thinking around here. I agree that a little bit of due diligence should be expected of a new member. A noob should spend some time researching the forum, before they shoot off a question that HAS been answered a hundred times. But not wanting someone to share information, or methods, or a tutorial, that is redicioulus (sp?). (n)

Spidey,
Thanks for what you have provided so far. I will help me when it comes time to start my helmet. (y) You are right that ITS NOT TOP SECRET information. I have bookmarked other threads that provide hemet painting info also. But it is ALWAYS nice to see pictures too. A picture says a thousand words. Thanks again Spidey. I will be sending you a PM soon.

Gator
i was like in awe seeing the turn out, somethings i would have done and wouldn't have however, it is a shame to keep things on a hush, hush when there are people like myself interested in tha how toos! i would have painted it all up and just kicked the bucket around to get true weathering. lmao not really but its not a bad idea! awesome job spidey!!! (y)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back