air brush?

mcdennis

Hunter
As I've been looking at this site I notice a lot of you use air brushes. I've never used an air brush. The work done with them looks excellent. I've been thinking about getting one since this costume has become more than a halloween thing. It's starting to become an obsession. So anyway, what kind of airbrush would you recommend for a beginner? I'm willing to spend a decent amout on this because I can use an air brush on illustrations if I practice enough with it. I know absolutely nothing about air brushes other than I'll need to get an air compressor. I didn't want to just go into the store and buy a random kit. What brands are good, and what brands have people had problems with? How big of an air compressor will I need? Any advice would help? Also, does anybody know of any good books on techniques?

I have a Paasche and that thing sucks!!!!!!!! If you buy it make sure you buy some of that white tape stuff that you put on threads so you can get a good air seal.

You are referring to Plumber's Tape, works great for a nice airtight seal.

shortimer52 said:
I have a Paasche and that thing sucks!!!!!!!! If you buy it make sure you buy some of that white tape stuff that you put on threads so you can get a good air seal.

I have a blue point from snap-on tools and I guess they are unavailable, becuase they arte very close to the old style badger airbrushes which where very good. Its about 14 years old.

I cant find anything about it

The markings are so feint the camra didnt get it. :(

cal196 said:
I have a blue point from snap-on tools and I guess they are unavailable, becuase they arte very close to the old style badger airbrushes which where very good. Its about 14 years old.

I cant find anything about it

The markings are so feint the camra didnt get it. :(

My Badger 150 looks just like that.
Mine is 12-14 years old.
I love the air brush although I havn't used it in years.
Lynn

Just go to michaels and get an O-ring seal kit for airbrushes, they have all different sizes in the same kit.

I use an Iwata HP-C too. I'm very happy with it. The only thing I hate about airbrushing is the cleaning afterward. That kind of sucks. Once you get past that though you'll wonder how you ever painted without it.

I'd recommend getting a compressor with a decent sized tank if you can. It will make a world of difference in your work cycle. Personally I just use a cylinder of compressed CO2. Not those little cylinders but a real welding cylinder. I've had it for over a year and it is still going strong.

I vote for the Badger IL. I have two and my first one is 20 yrs old and still works like a charm!

Don't get the small airbrush compressors, they don't have a storage tank and you won't get a consistent air flow. Buy a compressor that has a storage tank. It's well sorth the price if you are going to do a lot of work.

Geo

The haardware store around the corner from ny house has an air compressor with two dual 5 gallon tanks and goes up to 120 psi on clearance for $95. Would that be too big?

Never heard of them. I would stick with a well known brand as parts will be easier to find. You'll pay a bit more but you get what you pay for.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back