2nd run of sfp jumpsuits

Not to open any old wounds ... but I wanted to follow up on the issue of the 2nd run SFP jumpsuits color. PLEASE do not turn this into a SFP sucks thread, there is already one of those in the Sarlac Pit. :lol: BTW ... I agree that they suck and will NEVER buy anything from them again, but I got in on the 2nd run and I have to work with what I have now. Perhaps an upgrade will happen in the future, but for now I am trying to work with the SFP suit.

Like most people in the run I ordered and expected a ROTJ "TK409 Grey" jumpsuit. What I got was a color with a touch of lavender. I did not notice it right off the bat, but as I got my other pieces completed and did some test fits with the vest, armor, boots, gloves, etc. the color appeared purple/grey not light grey.

I decided to alter the suit anyway, and deal with the color later. After several alterations to the lower half of the suit, it now fits me perfectly. However, I now have to deal with the color. Since I have TK409 belt pouches and ankle spats, I decided to test some color removal methods on the SFP belt pouches and ankle spats.

This is what I tried on the belt pouches:
Wash w/ Ritt Color Remover: DID NOT WORK
Then wash w/ 1 cup of Bleach: VERY SLIGHT LIGHTENING
Then soak in 100% Bleach for 2 - 3 hours: WORKED

I then tried one of the ankle spats:
Soak in 50% Bleach 50% water for 2 - 3 hours: WORKED HALF WAY
Then soak in 100% Bleach over night: WORKED

Did the Ritt Color Remover help the process? I don't know yet. I have one more spat to try, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

How do you think the color looks? Please be honest, I want to try to get this suit to work for this Holloween.

Gator

GatorSuit01.jpg

GatorSuit02.jpg

GatorSuit03.jpg

It looks ALOT better. You can probably tint it after you've removed the color with some rit pearl grey.
Talk to Jedi-Bob - he's gone through this if I recall correctly.
Sean

Maybe I am totally color blind, but I got a SFP Jumpsuit and it does not seem to be lavendar to me. I may be wrong, but here are some pics.

dscn01485sl.th.jpg

dscn01498rd.th.jpg

Tell me how you think mine compares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man soaking it in 100% bleach :eek: I sure hope it did not weaken the threads and come apart at the seams when you go to wear it. Make sure your wearing underwear :lol:

:lol: Yea ... I thought about that too. However, I have not soaked the jumpsuit yet. I am doing tests on the pouches and ankle spats. Luckally, the threads on the pieces I have bleached have held up nicely. I have even washed the pouches a few time with other laundry, to see if the threads hold, and so far so good. I still have not made the leap to do the jumpsuit yet, but maybe tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

pennywisesweetooth said:
Man soaking it in 100% bleach :eek: I sure hope it did not weaken the threads and come apart at the seams when you go to wear it. Make sure your wearing underwear :lol:

bneally said:
Tell me how you think mine compares.

Yours looks similar to mine. Did you get it in the 2nd bulk run of suits?

It seems, that depending on when you ordered / received your jumpsuit from SFP, you may have gotten a different fabric / color jumpsuit. SFP probably orders a bolt of fabric in a grayish tone and calls what ever color that is, ROTJ Grey. They had the color right when TK409 spec'ed out his first jumpsuit, and thus developed the color "TK409 Grey". But since then the color has been hit or miss. MOSTLY MISS.

One thing I noticed about my suit is that, the color seems to change, depending on the light and the color of other things around the suit. I did not notice the lavender color, until I put on my vest, made with the BobaFettish material (which is the closest to the correct vest material that has been found). Try your suit on outside in natural light with a vest on, then take a look at the color.

Gator

Any other opinions on the color of my test pieces? I want to bleach the jumpsuit soon, but I don't want to screw it up.

I wish I could offer suggestions but I'm in the same boat as you and hoping you're suit works out ;) Although after I washed mine a few times and dirtied it up, I can hardly notice it. I have the Jango suit too and believe me it definitely needs to be lightened up!!

Gator Fett said:
Any other opinions on the color of my test pieces? I want to bleach the jumpsuit soon, but I don't want to screw it up.

Looks great, nice to see some progress on this! I was concerned too about 100% bleach. Can anyone tell what kind of fabric this is? Cotton/poly? It's seems indestructable when the bleach doesn't tear it to shreads. Give the ankle spats a yank and see if you can tear them. :)

Trooper TK409 said:
Looks great, nice to see some progress on this! I was concerned too about 100% bleach. Can anyone tell what kind of fabric this is? Cotton/poly? It's seems indestructable when the bleach doesn't tear it to shreads. Give the ankle spats a yank and see if you can tear them. :)

Indestructable seems to be the word for this fabric and the thread. :) I have pulled and yanked and twisted the spats and the pouches, to test how they would hold out after a few days and a few washings with other laundry. So far they have been just as strong as when I got them. I even tried to pull the top flap off of the pouch, and nothing, not even a broken thread. :facepalm

The fabric has to be some kind of a synthetic blend, because cotton would never stand up to the 100% bleach. What kind of blend ... you've got me?

Well ... its off to the basement to soak my jumpsuit. Wish me luck.

Gator

i havent done nothing with mine yet. i dont know i just dont like it. the color and size. the legs are for a giant, then the top half for midget. maybe thats how they are shaped over there. :lol: maybe they need to get some u.s. patterns.

austin

I soaked the jumpsuit the other night and I think it came out good. The fabric and all the seams have held up and there are no sign of week threads or tears. The bleaching process did soften the suit up alot, and destroyed the velcro on the thigh pouches and collar. I like the softness of the suit now, it feels well worn, like it should be, and I replaced the velcro.

After the bleaching, I put the suit through the laundry and then re-dyed it with Ritt Peal Grey for about 15 minutes, then washed it again. Once dry I weathered the suit with about 6 different color paints and some dirt from the wifes garden. :)

Here is how it came out. 1. bleached, 2. dyed, 3. weathered.

Gator

GatorSuit04.jpg

GatorSuit05.jpg

GatorSuit06.jpg

Trooper TK409 said:

I am getting my legs and arms altered and based on the comments that I have gotten from my mother in law...I think its definately a polyester/cotton blend. Its just too thick and durable to be cotton alone ...

I am in the process of trying to find some matching fabric to make the ankle straps and replacement pouches (mine were TAN).

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back