DP '95 "bad smell"

Fett BobaFett

New Hunter
I'm sure you guys have covered this topic, but I can't find it. I just bought a DP '95 helmet due to advice that they are one of the smallest helmets available. (I'm small) While I carried it around last weekend (fan force toy release charity photo op), the fumes from the plastic nearly killed me. What can I do to seal off "the stink?" Please help! Thanks!

Plasti-dip the inside.

And a DP 95 is the biggest mass produced Fett helmet out there 97 rubies being the smallest.

I told another member this once, put some fine tasty sausages in the helmet, put that in the trunk of your car. Leave it all in there for about a week, park outside if you can, espically if it is hot where you are. After about a week, your helmet will no longer smell like plastic, but rather tasty tasty sausages. MMMM. Sausages.

You can also spray truck bed liner in it, then cap it with paint to give it a nice smooth finish, that will take care of it

Predatormv said:
I told another member this once, put some fine tasty sausages in the helmet, put that in the trunk of your car. Leave it all in there for about a week, park outside if you can, espically if it is hot where you are. After about a week, your helmet will no longer smell like plastic, but rather tasty tasty sausages. MMMM. Sausages.

You got to be kidding me:)

Is it a white interior '95? I had one once that reeked. I've had a couple of the green interior '95's that didn't have the smell problem. It's almost like the white vinyl soured or something.

my rubies bucket has a distinct smell... but not a particulary bad one... and besides, i think that if you just put a spray paint caot on the inside, alcyd based, the smell will eb greatly diminshed, infact you might even get high due to the smell of the terpentine base :p

kiddin, once its dry, i think you wont smell the sent so badly, not form the paint, and not from the helmet.

Yes, it's the white interior. My eyes were burnin'.
What, you were kidding about the sausages? When I already put it in the trunk?
Thanks for the great input guys!

My white interior 95 has a odd smell to it too, maybe it is just the age

I just washed mine out with washing up liquid and then fabreezed it and it worked fine :)

Randy
:jet pack

my rubies 97 has a latex smell.. its faint though.. try this.. steam some towels, REALLY steamthem hot, and put them inside (make sure the towels are fresh from the luandry) my helmets smell was reduced to nearly nothing from the towels, apparently the fabric softener smell cancels it out LOL

are the DP 95's rare now or anything ? is it worth picking one up for cheap ? i have a much better bucket at the moment, but i was just wondering if its worth getting one for a side project

I got my DP95 on Ebay for around $60 total and it came with a boba coffee mug to boot. They are fairly rare, but I've seen that there's almost always one available on Ebay for around that price. The DP96 helmets seem pretty good too, but they are supposedly more prone to warping. The DP97's are less accurate overall, because it seems to me that they have flatter heads than the other two years. And they are said be the worst about warping.

If you get a Don Post for a side project, go for a DP95. You can make them look really good with a lot of work. You probably already know this, but they basically need a new visor (stock visor sucks total ass) and a completely redone paintjob (stock paint is very inaccurate). It's the best alternative to the super awesome helmets, though. I've seen people do some extremely awesome things with DPs.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back