HELP with scratch built helmet

phantom viper

Active Hunter
Well, I have been working on a scratch made helmet. I have the front and back cut and I have ran in to a problem. I cannot get the shape right on the cheek. I just can't picture it flat. Could be that my head hurts from working on this all day. I feel like I have rusty gears grinding around in there.:lol: Any body have any suggestions? I am working with sintra. Part of my problem I think is that it is to stiff. But if I got that shape right it would go on smooth. For now i am taking a brake and hopping that my fellow TDHers mite be able to help.:D

I don' know if you have already seen these reference photos,
but this shows any possible angle of Boba's armor and helmet:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/tdh_ref/

Username: tdhmember
Password: ilovetdh

You might also try mixing up a batch of Bondo (Auto Body putty) to shape that cheek you are having trouble with, you can Dremel it, Sand it, carve it, and it's a lot easier to work with than a hard plastic.

From the photos I have seen of the helmet, the cheeks are curved a bit.

Are you trying to do the cheeks in one piece? If so....good luck. I tried that and I couldn't get it to work. I went with the bondo as mentioned above and it seemed to work well enough, and it is pretty easy to work with.

Thanks guys. I think bondo is gona be the solution.

I have the curved upper part of the cheek and the flat side of the cheek as two separate parts. I try and shape the curved part and I just can't get it. So I think I am going to back the flat part and the face plate with ducked tape and then cover with bondo. That should work. Just not the way I wanted to do it. O well. :D

Here's a pic.

scratch1.jpg

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back