E2K13's Weathered CA Boots

E2K13

Well-Known Hunter
Ok, well I decided to finally weather my pair of CA boots. I used a picture from the Fett Reference CD (Thanks Braks) to base my weathering from. The final product is far from perfectly screen acurate but I think they will work well once I make the toe spikes.
The colors I used were:
Polyscale: Rock Island Maroon, Steam Power Black and Undercoat Light Grey.
Now I did this all with the airbrush and be kind because it is only the 2nd thing I have ever airbrushed that was in 3 dimentions. The first was my shin tools.
I used the same technique someone else suggested here a while back about putting your hand inside the boot and crunching it in a forward step motion and then hitting it with the light grey so I get those wear creases on the fabric.
Let me know what you think.

The final picture is the reference photo I used to chose my colors.

Boba Ref Boots.jpg

CA Weathered 1.jpg

CA Weathered 2.jpg

CA Weathered 3.jpg

I like it ! You are doing a fantastic job ! Tell me more about your technique...you crunched it, then hit it with grey...was your base coat mostly red ?

Actually I started with the black misting from the lower areas upward making sure to get lighter as I went up. Then repeated with the Grey and my last coat was the Maroon. I hit the soles with the black and the maroon as I was doing each color but the grey wouldn't really show on the soles so I more used that to go for the crease weathering and to lighten up the black areas. When everything was all said and done, I took a fine grit sandpaper to the soles to blend in the color and tone it down a little.

Like I said the other night, they are looking fantastic. One suggestion and you can tell me to cram it down my pie hole if you'd like, is you may need a bit more weathering on the ribs. The screen used boots look a lot more worn around the toes especially.

Thanks M_S.
I think I will hit it with that light grey some more tonight. I also want to replicate the light grey streaks running down the center of the dark strip in the middle.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back