TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

What was used to initially cut out the rough shapes before scoring them with a knife to get them in proper shape?

Could a dremel be used as well? To smooth out rough edges? Are regular scissors not strong enough to cut through the trashcan material? And what is a good way to heat the plastic to mold it to shape (as for the back plate over the shoulders? Hot water?

Thanks!!!

I used a pair of tin snips to cut out the basic shapes and then all you should have to do is 'score' the actual armor plate edges with an exacto knife and then they will 'snap' off leaving a clean edge.

This is my "trashcan armor" that I made in one day for this simple halloween costume. What i was looking to make wasn't 501st quality, just something that looked and felt good, and was sturday enough to party with! :D
I cut out the armor templates and traced the shapes to the trashcan. Then I used an exacto-knife to cut the shapes out and sandpaper to smooth the edges.
I spray painted all of the plates yellow first, then after they had dried, green on top but scraped some of the green away while it was still wet. (the weathering i did is not screen acurate at all).
The emblem on the right chest and the left shoulder were found online and i printed them out, then glued them on with a combination of white elmer's glue and water, then brushed the glue over them to seal them on the armor better.
The helmet was bought online :facepalm
I2y0Ul.jpg

really awesome armor every one but i do have a question couldnt you add (superglue) like 1-2 additional layers to each part or the armor and the bondo the side to get rid of the seams to have thicker looking armor?

How durable is armor made out of a trash can? I'm making metal armor for air-soft, but this looks like it would be almost better if I made some for my buddies.

You sit are a genius. Lol I seriously thought that it was gonna be hard to start making a Fett armor...but here is the pinnacle of woah... great work.
~Xaayer the Grey Knight

I loved this idea since I first ran across the thread. All of the armor pics have looked great. I started mine a couple weeks ago, but it has been slow going. The project is easy and fun (if anyone is a little scared to try). I've just been busy. Hopefully I can get a few pics up soon.
Great job you guys!!

Looks great, what I have a problem with is durability, I am a bit clumsy at times so I feel that trashcan armour will be a bit too fragile for me unless its like metal trashcans (which seems like a good idea to try out). But overall great job now only if you can figure out how to make the dents.

Just read though the whole thread and to sound like a broken record... wow great idea.

I was thinking if you wanted to thicken the trashcan armour pieces, could you mould paper mache around the pieces?
If so, I also think it might make painting easier.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back