TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

I've made gauntlets out of 1/8" sintra after boiling it in a pan. I wrapped them around a large 52 oz. cup and held it until it kept the form. You cna also tape it as suggested before.

Here's my son's trashcan armor suit. The shoulder, collar, chest and abs are made from the smaller trash can. Although I made this out of the trash can, I would use 1/8" sintra if I were to do it again. It's easier to cut out and bend. :)

Nice armor your son's got there!

Where do you all get the templates for the armor? I tried going a search here and found a lot of people mentioning templates is all. Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to pick up a trash can and try this out, but I dont think I stand a chance without any templates.

-Tony Vida; TK 3204; Austin, Tx

UPDATE 11-07-2007

I used to have templates, but not anymore. Search for Wizard of Flight - Alan Sinclair - for the best templates on this site.

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your son made that armor he has better hands then me !!!!!!

P.S. cool paintjob on it the bad part about it is that he cant hide well with how shiney it is :cheers YAY one cheer for multi color's

Just wanted to say thx for the great idea! Here's the finished product.

Miggs

rev1.jpg

I actually found that you can bend the stuff with heat slightly. But because the material is so flexible already, you have to heat it quite a bit and then freeze it immediately (with ice water) in the position you want it. Letting it cool does not work all that well.

What I want to know is how Miggs got those dents in it. TELL ME!

Hey, well, this looks very awesome, cheap, and pretty good looking. A nice bundle rolled into a $20 package. Now, my question is,

What are you using to afix the armor to the colar? glue? epoxy? duct tape?

Well, truth be tooold, I kinda cheated. The collar is made of aluminum, BUT the dent that's in the chest piece, I used a dremmel without any attachments (cause I didn't have much to choose from except the ones for cutting). I just kinda went back and forth until I got a nice little dent, be careful not to overdo it though! Sure it makes the plastic a little bit "weaker," but it's not like you're going to be taking real hits on the stuff. Hope it helps. Oh, I've also heard using a heat gun works as well. Just brainstorming right now -- couldn't you super heat one of those smaller hammers with the kinda rounded ball heads (not the normal hammers w/ the flat heads) and then press it against the plastic? (shrugs) Good luck on it either way.
:cheers
Miggs

PS: I Velcro'd my collar to the vest, I'm not much for ripping armor off if I ever wanted to ugrade. (added a little double sided tape for extra security as well)

-afettfulloffdollars- I would have done that first if I had seen this thread about six months ago.... it's smart, saves money, and seems easier than cutting dang sintra and bending it. (also transporting the HUGE sheet in my car) Great idea, keep coming up with some smart and effective ways to save!!!!! =)

tcod1.jpg

Just to show you can do more than chest armor with this stuff.
Had to notch the bottom and fold it over heating it so it would stick to itself so as to get a curve on it. A bit tricky to bend but can be patched up with bondo, however, bondo is reluctant to stick to this stuff so you have to sand it real good. I used superglue on the places that didn't stick and ran a line of superglue around the edges of all the bondo just in case, then sanded that smooth when it dried. The raised part I stuck on by heating both pieces, however, this makes it soft so it deformed a bit, glueing would have been better but I went the fast route.

Bolts are keyboard keys hollowed out and fillied with hotglue. I stuck a bolt in it with the nut screwed on about 1/8th of an inch and sunk it into the hot glue. Works great.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back