TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

yeah i got my chest and now my shoulder armor finished, all i have left is the back armor, and well the piece i call don't shoot me there please LOL

Im not doing BF but im using the design for my character I do that is a mando bh

So far the entire armor is black, problem is coming up with a idea for the flak jacket

Im wanting to find since i have role playing wise my character is from the same clan jango is a decal to put on the armor any ideas where to find these?

VERY good idea. I was trying to figure out how I could make some armor myself, and I think this will be the way for me. (Originally, I was thinking pvc pipe, depending on how heat moldable it is) but I think I'll abandon that idea and go this way. I'm hoping to have a Fett costume ready for May 19th. I just got a DP '96 off of ebay (almost had a 95, lost the auction in the last 20 seconds by $1.00). I'll post pictures of my progress when I start. (maybe next week, 'cause it is my spring break)

Oh, have any of you made the rest of the armor this way (back, leg, etc)?

I will be doing the back in a few weeks since im kinda going without the knee armor and going with like knee pads that im going to modify

Something that I think was overlooked was the lid of the trashcan. The lid on the 20 gallon one seams big enough, and curved right to be the cod piece. (well, depending on your size. I think it'll work for me)

Here's the start of mine, thanks to the great idea posted here, as well as templates I got from here too. I had to shrink them down a bit, but it will be ok, I think

armor.jpg

I must say, I wish I had this before I started, I think I may do it to improve on mine, I swear, I dont see how people do some of this stuff with sintra.

Well the trash cans are about as thick as 1/8" Sintra. It's pretty easy (Sintra) to score a couple of times and then break off the unwanted pieces. It is also very easy to work with using boiling water. I'm using the trash can for my son's chest, collar, shoulder, and abs. But making the back plate, cod, butt, gauntlets, shin guards and parts of his jet pack out of 1/8" sintra. It's working out great! Will show pics when done.

well thats the thing, I tried boiling, but I could never get it to bend more than a little with alot of force applied. I started wearinga mask and using strait up oven burner and that works, but it takes alot of timing and skill to do well. Im going to go buy some garbage cans tomorrow I think....

Were you using 1/8" or 1/4"? I had no problems with the 1/8" sintra. If it bent wrong I just let it soak in the pan until it was flexible and went from there. If you have probs bending 1/4", make two pieces of 1/8", glue them together and then bend them at once. I did that for my son's cod piece and that was three pices glued with cyanoacrylite glue.

just to make sure Im not insane I went and got a ruler and checked, no, I do have 1/8th, I swear, a rolling boil didnt do me any good no matter how long I left the peices in, and its been two purchases of sintra that have been like that so I know it wasnt just a bad batch. Mabee god hates me, oh well, Ill find my way around it, now I just have to work on redoing my lower jango armor, as when I first did it, I used poor templates (cod peice front as the thigh guards doh!) Although, I must say, one project came out right with sintra, and that was my roman legionairre armor, full suit of it, but that =/= fett armor.

hmmm, any idea if this trash can can be adjusted using a little bit of heatgun goodness?

Go back to where you bought theSintra and make sure that is what it is. It should be the PVC based product not styrene. Kydex and Komatex is also the name brand. I used a shallow pan and not a pot for mine. Have you tried that? If all else fails, try a heat gun froma hobby store. :)

well, it may be because I have been trying to bend the sintra alot more than it is capable of doing from just boiling, you only do slight bending correct? because you see, I didnt know of the filler techniques until recently.

Infact, heres a pic of the new set from the can, I wouldnt reccomend it as jango armor as the slight texture it has is bad, unless you want to sand it with a very fine grain of paper. It isnt bad though.

Here it is setting on my vest

newchestarmor1ew.jpg
[/IMG]

Offhand, I dont reccomend this armor for any "professional" if I can call it that, makers. It is failry flexible and light, but tough. But you cant beat it for its cheapness of money and time for costumes for offspring, and paintball/airsoft armor. SOmeone should try Bondo-ing it to see if that gives it and more integrity.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back