TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

So I got a silly question. I made some TCA every thing went pretty good until I had to attach it the vest my wife was kind enough to make for me. I wanted to use snaps to attach it but I can not get any thing to stick to this stuff!!! In the end I ended up duct tapping snaps to the plates. This is only a temporary fix has any one had a similar problem? I would like to improve the quality of my kit.

I'm going to try this as soon as I have time... This will be my first try at armor, so my lack of experience (and lack of cash) will be well served by this method.
How would you work the back plate? Off the top of my head, I would think you'd need to split the template and then piece it back together... It would also be great to see tutorials for doing the smaller armor bits the same way. I may just try it anyways, I'm sure it could work.

Look at my post here and my link on back plate. You don't need to cut it in two. Don't make it harder than it is!

:cheers

LOL--I'm a lady, Rupidupe--I'm gonna have to form the chestplates for it to be comfortable for me... ;) hehe

I did try to place them as-is, but it just isn't going to work *shrug* those will probably be the last armor pieces I work on, right now, until I get something more easily shaped.

I do have a backplate all cut out and kept the shape of the can--works out nice, you're right!

This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while. I have a sintra set I traded for but I'm thinking of doing this and trading the Sintra set for other stuff that would be more useful.

LOL--I'm a lady, Rupidupe--I'm gonna have to form the chestplates for it to be comfortable for me... ;) hehe

I did try to place them as-is, but it just isn't going to work *shrug* those will probably be the last armor pieces I work on, right now, until I get something more easily shaped.

I do have a backplate all cut out and kept the shape of the can--works out nice, you're right!

Whoops! Many pardons m'lady. We should force members to have a blue or pink hue around their avatar. :lol:lol::lol:

Interesting and innovative idea here. Once I get some of the soft parts together, I'm definitely going to have to keep this thread in mind.

Whoops! Many pardons m'lady. We should force members to have a blue or pink hue around their avatar. :lol:lol::lol:

:cheers No problem, Vod! I used to get that all the time :D

I'm glad this trash can idea was brought up here--I agree that this has been much fun, and it is working out quite well :) I'm going to be working more on my armor tonight!

I Love this idea i used it for my first attempt at a Custom mando but I cant get anything to adhere to the surface of the sterlite plastic I had to Duct Tape my snaps to it and they kept comming off. Any one else have this issue? What is a good way to fix it?

Uptown

Oh! I have already posted this question on here I feel like idiot :S

DarthTaiter when you get your chest plate working more "comfortable" can you post pics of how you do it, I gotta make armor for my boss (wife) and want it to obviously be more femenin (?SP) as she is only letting me make her armor to make me happy. Rupidupe, I forgot to thank you for the link to your backplate, so THX!

I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing some armor off flea bay but i am sold this is just the best idea i have seen. now question where can i get templates so i can create the armor. yes yes i'm a noob to the site. however my project fett is well on its way. i just wish i was not in iraq so i could finish it

Wish you well over there, Maddmudder! Thank you! Look for WizardofFlight (WOF)--he's got the templates in a thread, links at the beginning of the thread...I'll PM you

adonian--will do! I'm looking toward Sintra or possibly a type of foam mat that holds shape idea brought up by a fellow Merc.

Uptown--did you try a good type of super or Gorilla glue? Aside from those, I'm not sure what else would work for snaps. I haven't tried this yet, so I'm sure if someone else has, they'd have some good tricks to use.

I've been lurking on the boards for quite a long while doing research :) Hopefully the (relative) simplicity and cheapness of building a trashcan suit will be the kick in the pants that I need to get me motivated to stop researching and start building!

Wish you well over there, Maddmudder! Thank you! Look for WizardofFlight (WOF)--he's got the templates in a thread, links at the beginning of the thread...I'll PM you

adonian--will do! I'm looking toward Sintra or possibly a type of foam mat that holds shape idea brought up by a fellow Merc.

Uptown--did you try a good type of super or Gorilla glue? Aside from those, I'm not sure what else would work for snaps. I haven't tried this yet, so I'm sure if someone else has, they'd have some good tricks to use.

I tried super glue, Industial hot glue, and two different kinds of epoxy I am going to try some CA glue I saw on a thread for gauntlets.

I've been lurking on the boards for quite a long while doing research :) Hopefully the (relative) simplicity and cheapness of building a trashcan suit will be the kick in the pants that I need to get me motivated to stop researching and start building!

It sure was for me! :D

Hope it works for ya, MrUptown

I am about to get started on my set of trash can armor and I wanted to know if you can bend the trash can material with boiling water or a hair dryer? Thats the only things I have available, don't know where my heat gun is and I'm not buying another one.

I did use boiling water--it seemed to work better on smaller parts, but even larger parts gained some flexibility. I don't think a hair dryer would get hot enough, but it's worth a shot, I suppose...at least until you find your heat gun.

yea...my heat gun....NO CLUE WHERE IT IS! Arg, can't find any of my dad's tools after we moved. It sucks. =( Boiling should be fine for me...and I've heard of blow dryers working, never tried it though. xD

can someone pm me and tell me the best way to make a back plate. also where do i find the cheer leader vest for the armor:angry. Again brilliant idea. this is def. the way i am going(y)

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back