Mustard?

BobaFettSlave1

Active Hunter
ok. just like the title says. I saw in an early thread that some people were using mustard to do somthing with painting. My question is whats the deal with the mustard? what does it do and how does it work? I'm very interested in this.:) :confused :)

Well, when you consider that herbs and plants were orginal dyes and paints, it makes sense that it can be used for painting. How the people in particular are using it here is beyond me.

I've worked with indigo before painting it on silk, and then letting it set with letter and then washing it out. It's different than working with it on plastic/rubber or styrine tho.

Most folks use the "Mustard" as a detail mask! When painting an ROTJ and or an EBS for example. There are so many dents and scrapes that one may want to mask off those areas so that the GREEN paint does not stick there! Thus creating the illusion of Battle scars by removing the mustard once your GREEN paint is dry to reveal the Silver Base coat!

You can also substitute: Rubber cement, Liquid Masks,tape, and etc!

shunned/BH-8899

The mustard acts like a mask, it's applied over the first layer of silver paint. After the mustard is applied, the paint is sprayed on... the key word is sprayed. Once the paint is dried, the mustard is wiped off, revieling the silver underneath. There is liquid mask, but it tends to be transparent, and doesn't give you a good reference. As for the mustard, I guess since it goes on so thick, it helps to build up the raw edge of the paint before you wipe it off, leaving a more chipped appearance.

Yea apply mustard, let dry, paint over, let paint dry, do any topical weathering you want, then scratch off mustard. BAM done. You can seal it with a clear coat once you scratch off everything if you would like.

yeah I'm backing Predatormv on this one. I think he was the first one I heard about it from. And I just used it, and it did work good!

The smell from the jet pack makes me crave hot dogs too. Its weird. Just remember once you paint the paint, when you are scratching off the mustard, don't eat that. It has paint attached to it and that from what I understand isn't healthy.

I don't let it dry at all. I put it in place nice and thick with a toothpick or piece of sintra and then spray paint immediately. Once the paint is even close to dry (go too long and it's a pain to get off) I run it under warm water and rub the mustard "bubbles" until they come apart and the warm water does the rest. Just be careful not to get any fingerprints in the non-mustard surfaces. ;)

As Jodo Kast said, I too don't let the mustard dry. I found that using an airbrush on wet mustart moves it around a little as you'r spraying and creates a nice effect.

It is also easier to remove wet mustard then dry stuff.

Kinda curious about this mustard technique. How do you "scrape it off"? I have some dental tools, would that work? I gotta admit, it all sounds pretty durn cool. I'm seriously thinking of attempting this on my next helmet. It would save ALOT of time hand painting everything.

Now..how does one go about applying the mustard? It looks like you're just...spraying it on in a random kinda way...but...I may be mistaken..

Either way, it looks quite nice, and really seems to give that 'weathered' effect after it's finished. I'll definitely be trying this method out when I get to my armour.

I looked at MotM pictures of the helmet and used them as a reference for where the weathering spots go. Then I drew them on the silver layer with a pencil. I applied the mustard to the area that I drew on with a small paint brush.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back